Observer Music Monthly the 50 greatest music books ever

anhhh

this thread could be in art, literature, etc. i know...

seems like many writers that work there didn't get in the list (mr. reynolds, mr. morley, mr. gillett,... but charles shaar murray is there so....

check: here, here, also here and the rest

(by the way, music books = biography books about rock stars ?)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
if you read the end piece at the bottom it says that they excluded all books written by their own contributors... ie- Reynolds, Morely et al....

gek-opel said:
if you read the end piece at the bottom it says that they excluded all books written by their own contributors... ie- Reynolds, Morely et al....

Oh yeah! and i was shootin' my mouth off about that earlier. wotta prick :eek:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
gek-opel said:

Whats the point of that? Its not like British journalism isn't full of nepotism anyway. And the 'reason' they gave is pathetic.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
It does seem stoopid, especially as they end up with a pretty dire looking list as an end result...

gek-opel said:
It does seem stoopid, especially as they end up with a pretty dire looking list as an end result...

yes, the more i think about it - its bollox, isn't it? why bother assembling a list like that when you're deliberately excluding some top-drawer tomes? its typical of that none-competitive stance you see so often...no one can be seen to 'lose' or be offended, so just remove them altogether. wank.

Last edited:

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
they should of included joe carducci's book as that's the best writing on rock that i've ever read. greil marcus is a twat, and didn't that Our Band Could Be Your Life book get written off by all the bands azzerad wrote about?

Rachel Verinder

Robbie Williams' biography is apparently the third greatest music book ever written.

Val Wilmer's As Serious As Your Life is conspicuous by its absence.

I think that tells us all we need to know about this latest sponsored exercise in deliberate idiocy.

Rambler

Awanturnik
"There was always the danger that the list would veer towards the canonical"

... at the bottom of a list entitled "the 50 greatest music books ever".

ROFL doesn't come close.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
4. England's Dreaming by Jon Savage
Faber, 1991

ok :)

35. This is Serbia Calling by Matthew Collin
Serpent's Tail, 2001

bah. Altered State is much better.
(and MC has written stuff for the Observer)