Penguin Classics

jenks

thread death
Most of the novels recommended on here are usually quite modern. So, it got me wondering what are the pre- twentieth century novels that people are reading? Or are they becoming museum pieces- things studied in the hallowed halls of university but no longer read for pleasure?

I am currently reading Joseph Andrews by Fielding, partly motivated by my hazy knowledge of the early novel (and it is shorter than Tom Jones). However I am really enjoying it - very pomo in the way he addresses the reader and sets up an authorial persona. It is genuinely funny and very pacy.

So when we're in the bookshop do we ever go for the Penguin Classic?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"So when we're in the bookshop do we ever go for the Penguin Classic?"
Yeah, for sure - they're cheaper for a start as a general rule. I guess I've been reading new books more since I started working for Borders where they allow me to borrow books for free but last year I read (off the top of my head): Vanity Fair, Middlemarch, Nostromo, The Woman in White, Howard's End, A Passage to India and probably loads of others.
I reckon that most people do too, people I know tend to read things fairly randomly in terms of both style and when it was written.

jenks

thread death
IdleRich said:
I reckon that most people do too, people I know tend to read things fairly randomly in terms of both style and when it was written.

See I disagree, almost nobody I know would go for the 'old' book, they'd rather read something new, in a language much closer to their own - and these are not necessarily unintelligent people.

Often, i think, there is a perception that old=hard work. Obviously, i don't agree but there is an element where people see these pre- twentieth century books as something akin to being back at school.

The point of the thread is just another way to generate discussion on books though and to see if i can get some recommendations off you lot.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Maybe you're right. I must say that my reading of older books is probably more restricted to classics, just because they are what has survived to be read. So how is Joseph Andrews? I've read Tom Jones a long time ago and thought that it was very funny but I reckon it probably took me a while and it IS harder to read something like that than a modern novel just because of the difference in language and the sheer size of it, there is no point in pretending otherwise.

John Doe

I think the reason many readers choose 'contemporary' works is not only because they are set in a world with which they identify and are written in a language that is their own, but because 18th, 19th and some early 20th century novels are so long. It's not only that people feel that they don't have time to spend reading such works, but that in order to really appreciate a long, digressive narrative you have to immerse yourself in it wholescale - and people just don't read like that anymore. Unlike the readership for which novels were composed - middle class housewives and gentleman who did not work - readers now have much of their time claimed by work, and find their escape/entertaiment in magazines, television, cinema etc. It's increasingly challenging to find hours in sucessive days in which you can settle down with your book and truly immerse yourself in the sprawling narratives of the past...

I agree with you about Joseph Andrews btw: one of my favourite 18th Century novels (much, much better than the stilted, turgid and tiresome Tom Jones). I agree with you too about it been rather 'post-modern' in its technique. There's a strange irony that many of the devices/explorations into the form of the novel were present at its birth as well as been revived/rediscovered/reemployed at a time when the 'death of the novel' was being widely predicated. Tristram Shandy's the obvious case here, but, actually, I think I might even prefer Joseph Andrew's to Sterne's notorious/celebrated effort...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
John Doe said:
I think the reason many readers choose 'contemporary' works is not only because they are set in a world with which they identify and are written in a language that is their own, but because 18th, 19th and some early 20th century novels are so long. It's not only that people feel that they don't have time to spend reading such works, but that in order to really appreciate a long, digressive narrative you have to immerse yourself in it wholescale - and people just don't read like that anymore.
On the other hand (particularly for 18th century stuff) they tend to be actually fairly easy to read, so you can kind of rip through them once you've got started.

I've been reading Tristam Shandy recently, which is quite astonishing, and very funny. Also Wordsworth's Prelude, which has truly great moments and terrible three quarters of an hour.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think the reason many readers choose 'contemporary' works is not only because they are set in a world with which they identify and are written in a language that is their own, but because 18th, 19th and some early 20th century novels are so long."
I was actually going to say that - then I realised that it isn't true, or not really. The average length may have decreased but Jane Austen tends to be short or Forster (ok, early 20th C) and of course there are long modern books. If you go to the Penguin classics bit in a bookshop I'm sure that for every War & Peace there is a Three Men in a Boat or whatever. What I'm saying is that, if people are reading less "old" books than modern, the length isn't the reason.

John Doe

Slothrop said:
On the other hand (particularly for 18th century stuff) they tend to be actually fairly easy to read, so you can kind of rip through them once you've got started.

I've been reading Tristam Shandy recently, which is quite astonishing, and very funny. Also Wordsworth's Prelude, which has truly great moments and terrible three quarters of an hour.

Dunno about Walter Scott though. I've found, to my shame, that I can't get on with him at all. Bores the pants off of me, despite his crucial role in the evolution of the novel.

To return to the original point, I find that day-to-day I concentrate on contemporary works with occasional digressions into the classics but that, on the whole, when I go on holiday that's when I tackle the big stuff. I've got time for it and look forward to getting into it. I tried to get through Stendhal's The Red and the Black earlier in the year but found that I couldn't devote enough time to it. My pattern of reading - on the tube, in and out of work - sometimes in the evenings/weekends etc - just distracted me too much. I've put it aside but will read it again when go on holiday in Sept.

John Doe

IdleRich said:
What I'm saying is that, if people are reading less "old" books than modern, the length isn't the reason.

Ah, sorry, yes - different point entirely.

Well then, I do think people gravitate towards books that represent their world, their experience, their language, their lives etc. There remain great pleasures and excitements in recognising aspects of your life on the page. I mean, the whole success, for example, of the (so-called) 'chick lit' genre seems to me to rest on the fact that those novels represent the day-to-experience of working women in an urban environment who are economically independent. They also, of course, explore the romantic dilemmas of those women in a way that their readers obviously identify with (not unique, of course, to 'chick lit', just the reinvention of a stable of fiction from Jane Austen onwards)... But, to make a larger point, I think the success of such genres are symptomatic of the fact that much 'serious' or 'literary' (or whatever term you want to use) fiction is extremely narrow in its social grounding. I made a point, a while back, about Gibson's Pattern Recognition (which I'd just re-read) and that one of the pleasures, for me, was its social setting - ie young(ish) people in a modern urban enviroment who worked in and around the culture industries in a permanently 'freelance' capacity etc etc etc. It seemed to throw into relief the fact that a whole spectrum of experience shared by many throughout the urban, mediated, captialist world just doesn't make it between the pages of the novel - and certainly not in the UK. It struck me (well, hardly for the first time) that the 'serious' fiction favoured by publishers and reviewers is terribly old-fashioned and backward looking. One the whole 'genre' writing can be much more dynamic and exciting and relevant and contemporary. A lot more intelligent too (the good stuff at least)...

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think you're right there - a lot of, if not all, genre fiction does tend to get ghetto-ised. I'm guilty of it too I'm sure, I can't remember the last time I read a detective novel and I'm not planning to read one in the near future, maybe that's my loss.

John Doe

IdleRich said:
I think you're right there - a lot of, if not all, genre fiction does tend to get ghetto-ised. I'm guilty of it too I'm sure, I can't remember the last time I read a detective novel and I'm not planning to read one in the near future, maybe that's my loss.

Ever read James Lee Burke? I'd recommend his Robicheaux (sp?) series - absolutely first rate writing. It is 'genre' ficiton, sure, but so good that it's an absolute joy.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nope, never heard of him. What genre is it? I'll check him out, this board is great for recommendations and I've just finished the last one.

jenks

thread death
I agree with the comments about how long it to read a classic - i read pretty much the whole of Dickens and Tolstoy when i used to commute for 21/2 hrs a day - i was able to immerse myself in the books day after day, 50 pages at a time.

Do we, though, only want to read about people like ourselves? This idea that we read contemporary fiction cos it's explaining our world to us - i'm not entirely convinced. These 'classics' have been around a long time and are probably doing a good job of showing us something about being human, no?

as for genre fiction - i'm starting another thread. :mad:

John Doe

IdleRich said:
Nope, never heard of him. What genre is it? I'll check him out, this board is great for recommendations and I've just finished the last one.

James Lee Burke is a crime/detective writer. His central character, Robicheaux, is a vietnam vet, ex-alchoholic from a Cajun background. The 'tec starts off as a homicide detective in New Orleans, quits and ends up working as a sheriff somewhere out in the boondocks. Anyway, the writing is superb - very lyrical, tough, cracking cracking dialogue, economic but telling characterisation etc etc. He writes brilliantly not only about the Louisianian surrounding, but about the vanishing Cajun culture and, most superbly, about the poisoned inheritance of the civil war and the enduring legacy of slavery. He published quite a bit before he hit on Robicheaux, but I haven't read any of that stuff. The first Robicheaux novel is The Neon Rain, which, actually, is one of the weaker ones. After that he hits his stride. There are something like 14 of 'em but you don't have to read them in any particular sequence. If you can't be arsed buying any then check out your local library - they tend to well stocked with Lee Burke. It is genre writing though - unlike someone like James Ellroy (who Lee Burke rivals in terms of quality) whose latest work has moved out of genre, Lee Burke still works very much within it. I don't mind that, but I just want you to know that, brilliant though the writing is, it does operate within the framework (and/or limitations depending on your point of view) of its defined crime genre. I happen to have a penchant for good quality, tough, American crime writing, but there's absolutely no reason you should share that - so if it doesn't sound like your thing then don't be misled by my enthusiasm.

John Doe

jenks said:
Do we, though, only want to read about people like ourselves? This idea that we read contemporary fiction cos it's explaining our world to us - i'm not entirely convinced. These 'classics' have been around a long time and are probably doing a good job of showing us something about being human, no?

Hmmm -well, there's a claim. You wouldn't get much change in the average lit dept. at university these days with your 'defence' of humanism and the 'universal', a-historical appeal of 'great' works of literature.

Who's this 'us' btw?

jenks

thread death
John Doe said:
Hmmm -well, there's a claim. You wouldn't get much change in the average lit dept. at university these days with your 'defence' of humanism and the 'universal', a-historical appeal of 'great' works of literature.

Who's this 'us' btw?

1. I'm talking about people who read these books for pleasure - not those who are studying them as part of a course. I'm not overly happy having university depts telling me how i should respond to a book.
I was aware it was contentious to make the remark but I really just wanted to challenge this idea that people only want to read about themselves (or should i say construsts of themselves/ their times etc)

2. 'Us' - a lazy rhetorical trope on my behalf and i apologise to the other four people who contribute to the books threads :eek:

D7_bohs

veering off- topic a bit; at what age does a 'modern classic' become a 'classic' tout court? - my daughter was bracing herself to read Ulysses last week and i realised it was 30 odd years since i first tackled it - I read it in the 70s, 50 odd years after it was written and 70 years after the time period in which it is set; conceivable (just) that some of its extras could still have been hobbling around - and certainly dublin then, pre- tiger had more in common with itself in 1904 than with its current tacky nouveau incarnation.

My point is that a book like Ulysses has ceased to be a modern novel; as, in the recent discussion on this thread about Powell, i feel the pre- war sections of 'a dance...' have become a historical novel.

What is interesting - a point made up- thread - is that novels which now seem to represent a timeless past were actually brutally contemporary in their day; this is certainly true of Fielding, and of George Eliot, Henry James and Forster alike; a contemporaneity which their merchant ivory/ penguin classics packaging strips from such works; whereas contemporary 'literary' fiction seems too often to lag way behind the culture; too much Hampsteady English fiction, too much rural irish tales ........ haven't read zadie Smith/ Monica Ali tho' - is that where the zetgeist lives? why do i doubt it?

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
John Doe said:
James Lee Burke is a crime/detective writer. His central character, Robicheaux, is a vietnam vet, ex-alchoholic from a Cajun background.
I happen to have a penchant for good quality, tough, American crime writing, but there's absolutely no reason you should share that - so if it doesn't sound like your thing then don't be misled by my enthusiasm.

I'm a huge fan of Lee Burke as well, some friend recommended him years ago and I've stuck with the Robicheaux series since. Not read any of Lee Burke's other stuff (as his new series on some lawyer type?) apart from his short stories (skip this). The way he uses dream sequences (and fog or drunkeness) to create a sense of blurred worlds, the dodgy past of the south in terms of race relationships, the rich and distant and the sense of nostalgia and an historical past makes him a pure joy to read.

Lee Burke briefly discussed here before

Haven't read Monica Ali, but "White Teeth" was OK. Nothing more - somewhere between the awful Harry Potter and Dickens.

As for reading old novels versus newer ones. I think it's also a matter of press and some sort of peer pressure - typically the whole Harry Potter and Dan Brown bonanza.

Pre-20th Century stuff, try Hamsun's influental "The Hunger".
Not sure if IB Singer was right - but this is cut and paste from his foreword on Amazon,
The whole modern school of fiction in the twentieth century stems from Hamsun. They were all Hamsun's disciples: Thomas Mann and Arthur Schnitzler . . . and even such American writers as Fitzgerald and Hemingway.

Listened to Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" as audiobook last year. I'm with Naipaul on Austen (although a different novel) and won't bother with another one:

"I thought halfway through the book, 'Here am I, a grown man reading about this terrible vapid woman and her so-called love life.'

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Haven't read Monica Ali, but "White Teeth" was OK. Nothing more - somewhere between the awful Harry Potter and Dickens"
I thought that White Teeth was fairly enjoyable but I read The Autograph Man last year and it was dreadful. Being charitable, perhaps I missed the point, but I just couldn't understand what she was trying to do or even why she bothered to write it, it was just a collection of words not a novel, utterly empty. I certainly wish I hadn't bothered to read it.
Her latest one is supposed to be based on a Forster novel I believe and it's had good press but "once bitten twice shy" I think. Either way I'm pretty sure that she's not "where the zeitgeist lives".
I'll check out James Lee Burke and Hamsun.

John Doe

D7_bohs said:
What is interesting - a point made up- thread - is that novels which now seem to represent a timeless past were actually brutally contemporary in their day; this is certainly true of Fielding, and of George Eliot, Henry James and Forster alike; a contemporaneity which their merchant ivory/ penguin classics packaging strips from such works; whereas contemporary 'literary' fiction seems too often to lag way behind the culture; too much Hampsteady English fiction, too much rural irish tales ........ haven't read zadie Smith/ Monica Ali tho' - is that where the zetgeist lives? why do i doubt it?

Actually, I'm not sure if that's entirely true. Many 19th Century writers actually set their books in the past - perhaps the past of their own century usually, but the past nevertheless. Middlemarch for instance was published in 1871 but is set around the repeal of the Corn Laws in the 1820s/early 1830s, and this was a common technique of the era. (Ulysses too - published in the twenties (albeit in instalments before then) is, famously, set in 16 June 1904 (sh*t - I hope I've got that right))...

But your last question about Zadie Smith/Monica Ali representing the contomperary is a good one: they certainly represent, at a one level, an experience which hasn't found its way into much British fiction - the second/third generation immigrant experience, an 'ethnic', urban experience that has been crucially influential on, say, music in the UK, for instance, yet has so very rarely found its way into fiction. But I can't help thinking there's something so terribly safe about their work - it really is the sort of fiction that an Oxbridge educated liberal publisher/reviewer approaching middle age might find 'exciting' and 'cutting edge' (or whatever) but which seems to me to lack genuine bite. I dunno. I might be wrong about that. I wonder what others might think?

As for Hamsun's Hunger, I too, alas, haven't read it yet, but he's been on my 'must read' lis for longer than I'd care to remember as I know stuff about his work without actually having read it. As for the Singer quote about 'the whole of modern ficiton in the twentieth century' stemming from Hamsun, well hmmm, such claims sound rather grand and impressive but don't always stand up to much serious scrutiny. I think he's making a point about a certain tendency of the 'modern'(ist) novel that dominated much of the first half of the century - a representation of 'modern' 'alientated' consciousness (modern because alienated, alienated because modern) in a (mostly urban setting ... although such tendencies are there in Joyce, Faulker, Lowry, Satre, Woolf, Conrad, etc (so, thinking about it, maybe he's right after all!)

On that note (and in that tendency) can I recommend one of my own personal favourites: Rainer Maria Rilke's only novel The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge. I dunno if it's still in print anymore, but if you can get hold of it, it really is an astonishing piece of work - beautifully lyrical, haunting, but very dark. It's about a ficitonal Dutch aristocrat living in Paris at the beginning of the 20th Century, an aesthete and poet, overwhelmed by the squalor of his existence (which sounds, from what I understand, rather Hamsun like). If there were a pictorial equivalent to the novel it'd probably be Munch's 'The Scream' - an alienated subject distressed to the point of breakdown. Ah - they don't write 'em like that anymore...