FWD @ the end 23rd

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
had seen the event, but hadn't checked the line-up properly. El-B, Horsepower and Menta in the lounge - fuckin' hell. And all for £10...if only I knew anyone who even knows what dubstep is!

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
had seen the event, but hadn't checked the line-up properly. El-B, Horsepower and Menta in the lounge - fuckin' hell. And all for £10...if only I knew anyone who even knows what dubstep is!

i'm tempted - but my mates know exactly what dubstep is, and still don't like it. still, this could be my one and only clubbing expedition of the summer.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bassnation said:
i'm tempted - but my mates know exactly what dubstep is, and still don't like it. still, this could be my one and only clubbing expedition of the summer.

I guess that's even worse....at least I can shamelessly lie to try to persuade a friend or two if push comes to shove...

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
I guess that's even worse....at least I can shamelessly lie to try to persuade a friend or two if push comes to shove...

lol, might well do that - maybe they won't notice til we get inside!

out of interest, how do people rate the ends soundsystem in terms of subbass compared to plastic people? or will fwd take elements of their own system?

bassnation

the abyss
mms said:
I'm going to go for sure.
looks like it'll be a long night thoyugh quite a struggle

do you think the music is suited to all nighters? how does it go early morning in dmz for instance? i suppose theres a distinct lack of people gurning and sitting in corners monged out with their jaws chattering.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Last DMZ we held on to see Distance who was on at 04:00am, by the end of that it was agony! The combination of expensive beer and inappropriateness of "speedy" drug use meant utter death by 05:15... Christ knows how those who stayed on for Plastician made it through... though I did read one guy on Dubstepforum went off in the middle of the night to get food, then came back... wise move...

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
do you think the music is suited to all nighters? how does it go early morning in dmz for instance? i suppose theres a distinct lack of people gurning and sitting in corners monged out with their jaws chattering.

yes i 've stayed till 5/6 before which is unusual fr me .
it's the energy of it all really, the crowd and that not knowing exactly what will happen next thing which keeps you there.
BUT its on a friday which is very different from a saturday, it's also at the end which is a club i've never really had an entirely great 'free' time at, always have to force it a bit.

mms

sometimes
i'm not sure how it was but i had a hard time enjoying it - not entirely sure why. think it was the place really, and the sound

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:
I heard there was insufficient sub but that el b rocked it anyway. You catch him Marcus?

ahh i wrote a massive reply and lost it!
fuckery.

yeah lots of things to say about it and i'll write about it tomorrow i think.

the system wasn't up to either grime or dubstep, the design of the club is a mess imo, yep the elb set was ace, full of crazy rhythms, as were some others, squelch and colour, older crowd, some tunes i hadn't heard but some that raised a right old smile.
Lack of sub betrayed dubstep 06's lack of invention which is being perpetuated by hatcha and youngstas minimal instrumental, trajectory you could hear when a loefah track dropped, quality, colour and microdetail wasn't an issue anymore.

tubby was ace with newham gens but couldn't hear their voices too much, they were one of the best things in the main room, fierce and muscular without getting boring - until mystikz came on (the big 4 producers know all the problems and know about updating light and dark, rhythmic energy, tension music/anti music, vocals etc) but i had to go home, it was friday and friday's not saturday.

Last edited:

boomnoise

♫
My take on it is a little different.

The system wasn't all that granted, given what dubsteppers are used to ,but if you found the right spot it was almost perfect. The point being of course the sound should be perfect everywhere. I soon forgot about this; i can't be doing with complaining about the sound all night. I'd paid my money I just wanted to have a good time.

The vibe was different to DMZ, much less broody and, dare i say, better for it! People were chatting, skanking, listening, drinking but no one looked like they weren't enjoying it.

The lounge was proper vibes, with almost everyone grinning at what they were witnessing. El-b's set was everything you coud have wanted from him. There was a certain magic in that room.

Even I'm starting to get jaded by yunx sets - far too clinical, lacking in variation but it was salvaged by the london city warlord. Riko can roll well over anything it seems. I enjoyed him but perhaps he was a little too furious for the sound at times.

Tubby and the Newham Gs were spot on. footsie is amazing these days. like mms said a lack of clarity but still a great set.

I missed n-type, geeneus and plastician sadly.

but you know all about the magick of mala solo, paul. true craftsman. his set wasn't too different to the one at fwd, only slightly more up. i was skanking like a mad man to pay close attention to selection but all the new dubs were there.

kode 9, in contrast to yunx is a master of variation. he mixed it up and got the stamina gang going late on. He played this new bug track with flowdan - a mental grime thing - can't wait to hear that again. It was the business. Flow dan at bash i'm thinking! Ended on a jungle track which i know but have totally forgotten the name of - but it seemed to cap the evening off wonderfully..

Future FWDs at the end aren't to be missed. There's room for improvement but not much.

Sorry for the lack of detail.

And sorry that it didn't push all your buttons mms. Was good to see you again and i had a nice chat to your mate in the queue.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
So did Mala do that thing where he plays loads of torturous hard 4x4 steppers before softening it right back?

I've still not seen Youngsta live :eek: but I can imagine that if he's still doing the low-down instrumental sets like he was doing a year / 18 months ago it might now be merely exceptional rather than brilliant. Interesting to see he's mixing it up with N-Type at DMZ - which could be just the shot in the arm he needs, or could be really jarring! Similarly Hatcha vs Skream... Kode is always good and is a walking history lesson.

mms

sometimes
boomnoise said:
And sorry that it didn't push all your buttons mms. Was good to see you again and i had a nice chat to your mate in the queue.

yeah sorry it sounds reading that back like im pretty angry about it all but i wrote a long reasoned response , and lost the bassard, maybe it was me, there were some things which were my 'ultimate dream' about it; riko being mcing there one of them but still i'd rather hear him over rosi b and luca ultimatley.

i think its the place with me ultimatley - maybe it's caught in the radiation of the nearby masonic lodge or something - wooo! :p
i'm yet to have a blissfull totally wonderful time there and i've been there many times.

Last edited: