so solid's second ceedee

blissblogger

Forgot all about 'em but stumbled across their second full length album in the downstairs basement of Tower Records on 4th and Broadway (the kingdom of Tower chain import controlla Paul Sci Fi Soul Kennedy )

So, any cop then? At all? *

Anybody even heard it?

When it comes to the streets, are they, like, totally forgotten?

The Ice T of Gangsta Rave, perhaps

* i aint paying import prices for it no way, but wondering if next time i'm in M&VE it might be worth a few of those exchange tokens.

mpc

wasteman
haven't heard it, but so solid get air. standard. don't get it twisted. on a regular. thanks...

Hadean

10 below
it's all about the harrowing "Colder", about death by bullets, with children's chorus

nothing else comes close, but I didn't check it much - just kinda "hip hop no garage, meh"

jk_gabba said:
saw them at sonar, and i guess they where doing stuff from the second CD, and they whern't very good..

can't remember having played the 1st one more than 1/2 a time and I would not retry it... not the same with oxide and neutrino (or whatever, I forgot the exact name) which I have fond memories of

for some reason!

S

simon silverdollar

so solid are now totally insignificant on the underground, pirate scene. none of their records get any play, no one talks about them. they basically tried to leave the underground and show that they weren't 'just about garage', in a bid to become hiphop + r n b stars, but as soon as you cut those links with the people who listened to you when you were on pirate radio, chances are that yr fucked. dizzee is still keeping the links intact- releasing white labels and dubs for the pirates, and collaborating with big grime people still, but go on grime messageboards and there is beginning to be a sense of betrayal towards dizzee, especially at his comments that he's not grime, but 'uk hiphop'. that's worrying, cuz really it's not the people who bought dizzee's albums on the strength of his mercury win that are important in keeping him as a vital cultural presence- it's the kids that are into grime and go to raves and listen to pirate radio.

sorry, slight digression there. but yes, so solid are anything now. and the moral is- stay close to the people who liked you in the first place.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Although pretty much irrelevant, So Solid still have something (albeit rather indirectly) to do with the underground scene. So Solid Kids (another crew continuing the phenomenon of big crews nuturing 'youngers' for the future, see Kidz In Da Hood, Younger NASTY, Wile Out Gang etc) were on On Top FM 95.5 the other night sounding reasonably credible. Also Asher D is one of many MCs appearing on the 'Southside Anthem', a riddim which sounds like a cross between the Foward Riddim and Alias' 'Gladiator'. It's pretty good too, and features K.Dot and Gendor from Essentials and Nicky S, plus a whole load of others reppin South. Apparently you can check it out on Channel U around the 25th of October, but can someone tape it for me cos I don't have cable :(

S

simon silverdollar

is southside anthem the one where a voice goes, 'soldier, state yr location!' and 'who you reppin?' at the start of each MC's bit? that's a good track.

so solid kids are funny, but as far as 'youngers' crews go, they're really minor league aren't they? compared to kids in the hood + younger nasty, they're nowhere- i guess because they haven't got big, older, MCs to pull them up, now that so solid has pretty much collapsed.

i guess so solid do run the occasional grime pirate Delight fm, though, which is great when it's actually on.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
I don't know the name of the 'soldier, state your location' track, but I remember it - it's BIG! Da'Vinche production innit, with Kano and DEE appearing in it too. I wonder if that ever came out.
'Southside Anthem' probably isn't as classy as that, but it has energy.
You're certainly right about the other Youngers. I have to admit I was exactly smitten with some of Younger NASTY at first, but after re-listening to some sets in which they appear it seems they certainly have talent. Ashman was on OnTop on Sunday, sounding much older than when I last checked him.
I was looking out for Delight after you saying Essentials were going to be on there, harrumph, as has been the trend of late, pirates off. Although saying that, over the last couple of weeks there's been more grime on FM than usual, Roll Deep/Wiley on Rinse practically every night, OnTop back on, Heat FM in north london now back on - so maybe we can hope for the return of Raw Blaze. We just didn't know how lucky we were for those couple of months it was on...

S

simon silverdollar

yeah i love that bit in the 'soldier, state yr location' track where the voice says something like, 'are you gonna keep it real?' and kano goes, 'course i am', sounding like such a cool fuck.

yeah roll deep are EVERYWHERE at the moment aren't they. from hardly ever being on the pirates last year, now you can hardly turn yr radio on without hearing them. it's almost impossible to keep up with all the new tracks they've got as well...

do you know which crew Ashman is from? he's SO good, one of my absolute favourites. love that 'cuz i'm hard-CORE' one line flow that he does.

Ach!

Turd on the Run
Ashman was in Muskateers with Maxwell D and Lady Fury, but I'm sure I heard somewhere that he left recently.
It seems like Roll Deep had an almost year long hiatus from radio, maybe a combination of Dizzee leaving, Wiley doing his album, some kind of fracas with Wonder and Rinse management (now I could just be talking bullshit), but thank gawd they're back (but it still makes me remember how much I miss N.A.S.T.Y being on FM). Favourite out of the innumerable tracks of their's at the moment have to be Trim's "The Lowdown", Roll Deep's "Flying Away" and the one where Wiley uses his old lyric about "I'm gone now it's on now I'm singing my song now... I'll be doing you a little wrong now".
But really, isn't it time we started the 'Ruff Sqwad - Guns'N'Roses Mixtape Anticipation Appreciation' thread. Heard three tracks from it so far, each one absolutely huge.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just came across that 'Soldier/state your location' track' by accident - f'ing great track, too. I've seen it marked as both 'WWIII' and 'Head Quarters'

gumdrops

its not new but ive been playing asher d's whoa a lot lately. so hype. reminds me why i liked this music.

id say so solids rep is pretty good and er solid these days.

luka

is southside anthem the one where a voice goes, 'soldier, state yr location!' and 'who you reppin?' at the start of each MC's bit? that's a good track.

so solid kids are funny, but as far as 'youngers' crews go, they're really minor league aren't they? compared to kids in the hood + younger nasty, they're nowhere- i guess because they haven't got big, older, MCs to pull them up, now that so solid has pretty much collapsed.

i guess so solid do run the occasional grime pirate Delight fm, though, which is great when it's actually on.

No it ain't t Simon you cunt!