Serialism - what's that all about then?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Can anyone give a rough outline and / or a reference to some good reading on the hows and whys of serialism? AFAICT, yer basic twelve tone composition grew up as a way of making sure that your music avoids having even a fleeting tonal centre, but it's not clear why that's such an essential thing to avoid. And having got that, what was the thinking behind serializing other elements of the music, where there wouldn't seem to be such a powerful effect to be avoided?

While we're at it, any suggestions for required listening would be good as well...

tate

Brown Sugar
Nice one, Slothrop. I previously touched on a few (very few!) points regarding 12-tone composition here.

For a more interpretive, or theoretical, approach, you may want to take a look at M.J. Grant's Serial Music, Serial Aesthetics: Compositional theory in post-war Europe (Cambridge UP, 2001). I have a copy, but haven't yet had a chance to read it.

zhao

there are no accidents
it's a part of a well balanced breakfast innit?

sorry... Tate is much more equipped to deliver what you are looking for that I'm reduced to Ali-Gisms... :eek:

Rambler

Awanturnik
Tate - I confess I missed your post first time round, but that's a really good summary of most of the main points about serialism. I'd add an extra point: although 'serialism' and '12-note' (or '12-tone' or 'dodecaphonic') are usually used synonymously, they're not quite. 12-note music is always serial, but serial music is not always 12-note - it's perfectly possible to apply the techniques of serialism to collections of notes ('tone rows') to fewer than (or more than) 12 notes. A lot of Stravinsky's serial music works with rows of fewer than 12 notes, for example.

But that's a minor point that only sticklers like myself really get worked up about.

A brief listening list, emphasising the range of styles that use the serial technique:

Schoenberg: Variations for Orchestra
Webern: Concerto for Eight Instruments
Berg: Violin Concerto

Stravinsky: Requiem Canticles
Messiaen: Mode de valeurs et d'intensites (Quatre etudes de rhythme)
Babbitt: Three Compositions for Piano

Boulez: Le marteau sans maitre
Nono: Il canto sospeso
Stockhausen: Kreuzspiel

There are tons more than this. One of the common fallacies about serialism is that it was a relatively homogenous movement in music; in fact it was incredibly diverse. Many composers only really flirted with serialism (Messiaen, Ligeti, Gorecki), and more either weren't terribly comfortable with it (Stravinsky?) or quickly evolved their methods far beyond the strictures of serial technique (Boulez, Nono, Stockhausen). And some, like Berg, are remembered as serial composers when in fact it makes up only a small proportion of their output.

But for all this, and for the continuing controversy over its apparently elevated place in musical history (see Kyle Gann's blog periodically for his polemics on this subject), serialism was and remains a potent source of inspiration for many composers.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Not much to add to this, except to say that a critique of serialism is one of the many threads woven into Thomas Mann's brilliant Doktor Faustus, which is one of the great novels of the 20th century and by a large distance the most ambitious, subtle and wise piece of writing about music I have ever read. Those who don't know, get to know. Plug over :D

borderpolice

Gabba Flamenco Crossover said:
Not much to add to this, except to say that a critique of serialism is one of the many threads woven into Thomas Mann's brilliant Doktor Faustus, which is one of the great novels of the 20th century and by a large distance the most ambitious, subtle and wise piece of writing about music I have ever read. Those who don't know, get to know. Plug over :D

It may be interesting for some readers to know that the musical parts in this book were (co-)written by Adorno. At the time of composition, him and Mann were neighbours in Los Angeles, and had long discussions about music, which the latter transscribed and later mined for the Faustus. Adorno also let Mann read the manuscript for Adorno's main work on musical aesthetics. Schoenberg, upon reading, knew immediatly that the relevant parts could not have been originated with Mann, who was not knowledgable enough to produce such an appropriate description of, among others, dodecaphony. He (Schoenberg) rightly suspected Adorno to be the source.

Last edited: