blair on crime and the jucidiary

bassnation

the abyss
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Politics/homeaffairs/story/0,,1804422,00.html

"It's no use saying that in theory there should be no conflict between the traditional protections for the suspect and the rights of the law-abiding majority because, as a result of the changing nature of crime and society, there is, in practice, such a conflict; and every day we don't resolve it, by rebalancing the system, the consequence is not abstract, it is out there, very real on our streets."

what do people think of the uk governments latest pronouncement on crime?

my immediate reaction is that blaming the judges is a blatant attempt to distract attention from the home office's woes and incompetency. while i think its important for crime to be dealt with and people in working class areas not to have their lives made a misery, this kind of knee jerk media-led reaction from the government is not going to help.

whats peoples views on this?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not at all sure that the nature of crime and its interaction with society is changing, of course it's changing in its specifics but I don't really understand what this fundamental alteration is that means that hunan rights no longer apply in the same way. I think it's fairly common for politicians to use the "new reality" to justify what they are doing. Al Qaida is a new kind of threat - as was the IRA, we have a new danger of being "swamped" by immigrants - as has happened on countless occasions throughout the last two centuries, and so on and so forth. Basically it's bollocks.