celebrating Skykicking

luka

i read skykicking today for the first time in ages. it's moved. getphysical.blogspot.com
i was a bit suprised to still him still churning it out to be honest. in a nice way. it's the age of the trendy mp3 blog (which are basically shit, i mean, what's so difficult about that? lure the punters in with free stuff and don't use any imagination or anything. just be like, i dunno, the dave travis of the internet or something) its easy to forget about the old skool.
so i will raise a festive glass to tim and salute his talent, his ears and his dedication. somedisco is another trooper as it goes. proper blogs are the best. all the free gift massive, try harder!

owen

yes! tim finney is still probably the best writer about (and describer, and theorist of) music currently alive.

also, (not wanting to bitch, but) it was sobering when the scrapping over k-punk's pronouncements was going on here to read at the same time tim's comments on (of all things!) an ILM rockism thread, which used 'theory' to a similar extent, though to a radically different, more inclusive and vastly more thought provoking effect.

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
owen said:
tim's comments on (of all things!) an ILM rockism thread, which used 'theory' to a similar extent, though to a radically different, more inclusive and vastly more thought provoking effect.

Linkage? Please?

owen

oh yeah, it should be here-

http://ilx.p3r.net/thread.php?msgid=5193708

(sorry, i don't know how to make that light up...)

and there's a few related ones from the same time, it was sparked off by some new york times article that mentioned ILM....anyway tim f and (again, of all people...) momus are on fantastic form here.
(if i've got the right thread that is)

Woebot

yeah big up tim. i've been to his new site and it's looking good. excellent call luka.

Last edited:

nick.K

gabba survivor
he's in london at the end of jan. I suggested a get together with you lot (and tour of all things east).

stevienixed

i suffer rock
" all the free gift massive, try harder!"

I quite like Rollie P's blog. Sure, he gives free *shit* but the writing is pretty good.

S

simon silverdollar

yeah come on luke, some mp3 blogs are excellent- especially byron bitchlaces + gutterbreakz + razor blade runner + Jess harvell's one. i think dismissing whole groups or scenes is always unjustified. some people within those groups are always doing something interesting. saying 'mp3 blogs are shit' is like saying 'disco sucks'; a blanket judgment of the kind that just doesn't work when real creativity and work are involved.

of course i'm biased, cuz silverdollar is gonna be an mp3 blog soon, but even so it's not nice to dismiss the often brilliant efforts of some blog writers just cuz they do mp3 blogs.

sorry, this is kinda my first negative post on dissensus. but i think it's important to support each other. we're all good people doing good things.
and please don't take this as a diss at luke. hope everyone knows how much i, and most other people who do music blogs in our litte circle, owe to heronbone.

jed_

i think Tim is fantastic even though/especially because i almost never agree with what he says but i love reading his stuff.

luka

bloody hell you two! i was making a rhetorical point.
we can all live in peace and harmony.
my point was just that those mp3 blogs take up too much oxygen and i'd like to see the emphasis go back to something more personal and creative and that.
i'm sure there are people in rural backwaters who find mp3 blogs extremely useful in discovering new music.
peace and harmony.
i just think its a shame that by giving away a couple of shitty songs you ripped from a cd that come attached to the front of the wire or something you get 1000000 links and a kazillion visitors per day when really you've put nothing of yourself into it, not even effort.

i'm not demonising the people that do those blogs. i don't know any of them but i've got no reason to think they're all pricks, they're probably alright. i'm just making a point about how things have gone. it used to be weird obsessional little weirdos pouring all their underground man intensity into their blogs. you felt like you was getting to know them like. get into their world and that. everyone trying all hard and that. all differnet styles and everything. now its some bland consumerdrome. what a load of shit.