Sleater Kinney break up : about time!

Buick6

too punk to drunk
The most over-rated politically-correct shitty indie Toyah Wilcox ripoff band of all time, only to be matched by Guided By Voices, finally break up.

Seen this band twice, both times they were terrible. Can never understand why people loved this band so much, I mean were they really any better or relevant than Babes in Toyland, or just better looking?

tate

Brown Sugar
Buick6 said:
were they really any better or relevant than Babes in Toyland, or just better looking?
Resentment6 in ridiculous comparison of two bands with nothing musically in common shocker

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

Tate said:
Resentment6 in ridiculous comparison of two bands with nothing musically in common shocker

yeah but they're 2 bands whose members are women, so they must sound similar innit.

hint

party record with a siren
Their last album had some great songs. I was never that into the earlier stuff though.

The drummer was/is a good rock drummer.

I don't think they were over-rated... I got the impression that most people had forgotten they even existed.

throughsilver

Loved their last two albums, just missed them in Leeds. That I'm gutted goes without saying.

And I also hope Fugazi (nearest musical comparison, really) come out of hiatus soon...

gek-opel

entered apprentice
throughsilver: Re: Fugazi--- their last album was utterly ace, do you know why they are currently on hiatus?

OldRottenhat

gek-opel said:
throughsilver: Re: Fugazi--- their last album was utterly ace, do you know why they are currently on hiatus?

So far as I'm aware, it's simply that most of them have had children within the last few years and don't have the time to commit to recording and touring. Since Ian McKaye now has the Evens to fill his time, I wouldn't expect to hear from Fugazi much more often than, say, Scott Walker.

And I too am sorry to see Sleater-Kinney go - I thought they were losing it on One Beat but the Woods reeled me back in big time.

throughsilver

gek-opel said:
throughsilver: Re: Fugazi--- their last album was utterly ace
It really was good, yeah. Not my favourite, but I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that they seemed to be doing something new, for them, on pretty much every song. Fugazi doing handclaps! Fugazi doing Radiohead! Fugazi doing pop punk (the inordinately energising climax to 'Epic Problem')!

do you know why they are currently on hiatus?
Like OldRottenhat said, pretty much that they have other stuff to be doing. They spent a lot of time together over those 13+ years, so I think they just wanted to have a rest before they didn't want to do it anymore.

They have been doing those live show releases (and because I'm poor I only have one, but they have now released a gig I went to. That's right Fugazi: Live In Leeds!), which isn't too bad. But yeah, half a decade between albums, this autumn.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Tate said:

Besides the fact that Babes in Toyland ROCKED considerably better, the Sleaters might have been the most musically 'adept' Grrrl-core band of the 90s, I seen 'em twice and the never eclipsed their opening two songs, tho' did a reasonably neat live@Wireless thing here a few years ago. . Recordiing wise, those annoying angular Crapple-Hill-Fugazi-post-Pavement guitar runs and hysterical vocals aren't my personal idea of sonic bliss time, hence I never shelled out the drachmas to help the 'cause'.

But my ears are jaded with resentment so I might as well chuck on a Fiona Apple record and let the dogs bark.

swears

preppy-kei
I liked it when the loud one and the nasal one would both sing two different songs at the same time. Overrated? yes, but nowhere near as overrated as a lot of post-Strokes haircut NME bands.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
swears said:
I liked it when the loud one and the nasal one would both sing two different songs at the same time. Overrated? yes, but nowhere near as overrated as a lot of post-Strokes haircut NME bands.

80s, 90s, 00s - yr always gonna get the trendy fucken shite.

swears

preppy-kei
Buick6 said:
80s, 90s, 00s - yr always gonna get the trendy fucken shite.

True, but it's reached fever pitch now, it's just ridiculous. You could always argue that SK never sold out, always did what they liked, always kept their almost puritanical feminist politics. I thought that was a bit of a weird mixture, girly teenage r'n'r enthusiasm and hardline feminism. Joan Jett meets Andrea Dworkin.