Saatchi & GUM - bands as billboards

tryptych

waiting for a time
This is a bit old news, but I thought if you havn't seen it already, it's worth investigating...

Human Billboard Gum Girls

The human billboards
p2p news / p2pnet:- Here’s something that should make all you demographics out there cringe.

It is, as Julian Finn posts on his Leben am Existenzmaximum blog, product placement taken to a whole new level.

And he’s not kidding.

“London-based ad agency Saatchi & Saatchi has launched a new division called GUM, created to target the elusive teen and young 20s demo,” says Finn.

“The idea is simple, according to The Wall Street Journal: Saatchi & Saatchi is offering advertisers a sort of human billboard - that is, owning and naming their own all-female hip-hop band, having their products seen/used/worn on stage and in music videos, and if they want, paying a little extra, have their product names used within the lyrics of the band's songs.

“The band made its first appearance last evening at Saatchi & Saatchi offices, and unless you knew any better, you'd never know it was a marketing device.

“The agency calls this Branded Entertainment, and finds masking advertising within entertainment is a better way to reach this tough young demo. Also coming from GUM, commissioned entertainment for other media including TV, film, cellphones and video games.”

Meet S&S Gum Girls Rockwell, Mercedes, S.J. and Chanel. And why not? A custom-built all-female (of course) product promo hip-hop (of course) band is a kind of natural extension of the now well-established marketing practice of using teens to promote the product you're trying to get them to buy in the first place.

Possibly the sickest example of this in recent times came when Apple Computers, Pepsi and the Big Four music label cartel used 16 teenagers who'd been nailed by the cartel's RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) in a shockingly cynical iPod campaign.

http://p2pnet.net/story/6223

and a longer piece from the Times a couple of months ago...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2125635,00.html

First against the wall or what, eh?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember reading about this a few months ago and then haven't heard anything since. Does that mean that it completely failed to take off? Or are they waiting for the right moment to strike?

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
This isn't new - hip hop sold out to sneakers and maccy d's years ago...it's just a rebrand....I'm with Hicks...

adruu

This Is It
I think the capitalist/marketing class's obsession with indoctrinating children borders on pedophilia.

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
i have been to their offices after sending someone at s&s a link to my book blog
( www.hardrhymesandsoftdrinks.blogeasy.com ) - offering to help them use youth culture responsibly.

re: that girl band. reading between the lines - the idea is dead. it would have been launched by now?

also gum collaborator dallas austin is sweating in a middle-eastern jailhouse!

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
qwerty south said:
i have been to their offices after sending someone at s&s a link to my book blog
( www.hardrhymesandsoftdrinks.blogeasy.com ) - offering to help them use youth culture responsibly.

re: that girl band. reading between the lines - the idea is dead. it would have been launched by now?

also gum collaborator dallas austin is sweating in a middle-eastern jailhouse!

That's a good read, very "show me the money" - you should make that doc on your own....

gek-opel

entered apprentice
So has this act done anything at all then? Or are they just a marketing man's Sigue Sigue Sputnik for the 00s (remember SSS made a great deal of noise about selling advertising space on their debut album...)....?

qwerty south

no use for a witticism
myspace dot com/honeyshot (to avoid adding any Google Page Rank to this page)

this page isn't even listed on Google! Now that's what i call new media marketing...