Marketing Festivals

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Music festivals devised and run by the marketing departments of big brands like 02 etc. Corporate entertainment anyone?

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I'm involved in running one on Vyner St in Hackney this summer again. There's no corporate involvement in our one (well not yet anyway). Ruff Sqwad and Chicks on Speed will be playing

gek-opel

entered apprentice
There's just too many festivals full stop. Its also hard to tell the difference between these brand-created ones and the older ones who are now sponsored up to the hilt, for example the Carling Festival (formerly Reading Festival)-- eugh. (Imagining what an actual festival consisting only of Carling beer would be like- cheap and nasty) This ridiculous myth of the festival experience: I've been to some of them, and I simply don't get it. The brand-festivals are probably no more soulless than any other big open air music event...

The one that Bun-u mentions sounds alright tho...

Last edited:

alo

There's just too many festivals full stop

I absolutely agree. There seems to be about 5 new ones per summer. (Usually featuring Goldfrapp i've noticed?)
I think in a lot of cases, its perhaps to do with the idea of a festival giving a local area a bit of a boost and cashing in on the aforementioned festival atmos: a bullshit washed-out memory of days long gone, when festivals were a communal event, not an excuse to get rat arsed out doors while watching several bands. There are loads in Cornwall again this year, all resolutely shit as far as i can tell.

mms

sometimes
Blackdown said:
London's awash with them. What the hell is going on?

phone companies are triying to convince musicians and punters alike that the medium is the message.

none of this rthings are worth leaving your house for though

gek-opel

entered apprentice
They must be pretty profitable, I would think. There is obviously massive demand for them, its a mass-market thing, not an underground or even indie thing, its like all the crowds who were going to clubs back in the mid to late 90s (or their demographic equivalents now) having given up on dance music are now embracing "rock" in some ridiculous way, and this is the way they show it? I just don't understand the appeal, and I suspect never will. Does it require a suspension of disbelief, massive amounts of class A drugs or just a love of rotten mediocre music?

boomnoise

♫
From a none technology brand p.o.v Innocent started this off a few years ago with their Fruitstock in Hyde Park. The Ben and Jerry's one this weekend was a blatant rip off. The problem is they work. Get a bunch of people in a field, fingers crossed for nice weather and bob's yer uncle - nice and happy brand associations. It really is these one which piss me off the most.

Linking in that post about the Saachi band - how long will it be until there is whole festivals of such brandbands?

mms

sometimes
boomnoise said:
From a none technology brand p.o.v Innocent started this off a few years ago with their Fruitstock in Hyde Park. The Ben and Jerry's one this weekend was a blatant rip off. The problem is they work. Get a bunch of people in a field, fingers crossed for nice weather and bob's yer uncle - nice and happy brand associations. It really is these one which piss me off the most.

Linking in that post about the Saachi band - how long will it be until there is whole festivals of such brandbands?

different though as these are the people that want to provide you the punter with all your music in the future - there are music telly programmes sponsored by mobile companies, very high paying gigs (in exchange for content) etc, i think phone companys can see there is a chance they can get trad providers like record labels over a barrel, and association with content providers and clients in a pleasurable manner is one way to do it.
that last sentence was not how i would ever like to describe the experience though. :)

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Festivals in the UK are crap...just random people gawking at some twats on stage whilst they get sunstroke.

Wish there could be more urban arty festivals like Sonar. A three festival using the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall and other rooms would be sweeeeeeet.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Logos said:
Festivals in the UK are crap...just random people gawking at some twats on stage whilst they get sunstroke.

Wish there could be more urban arty festivals like Sonar. A three festival using the Tate Modern's Turbine Hall and other rooms would be sweeeeeeet.

i dunno, there's something not quite right about sprawling on astroturf in the heat, with the noise and fumes of the city all around you. prefer the outdoors myself.

bruno

est malade
nothing wrong with a little brand association if it's a good product. most people already have their 'favourite brands' anyway, and see billboards and tv ads every hour of the day, at least with festivals they get to hear something worthwhile in the process.

plus, money doesen't grow on trees.

agree that 'ruff sqwad and chicks on speed' in the same sentence is strange!

DJ PIMP

gek-opel said:
Does it require a suspension of disbelief, massive amounts of class A drugs or just a love of rotten mediocre music?
Plenty of people said the same thing about the dance scene.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah (and I completely agree) but at least the music was sporadically good! I'm not slagging off live music, just the grotesque festival experience myth, branded or not branded (and I've not necessarily got a problem providing the content is decent)...

DJ PIMP

For me theres a point where the scale of a party or festival becomes so immense that I can't let myself go any more...

Anyhow is the festival myth the same as the rave myth? You know, the unspoken expression of the communal spiritual experience through Dionysian release?