PDA

View Full Version : Rock!

craner
24-12-2004, 02:15 AM
Myself and A. (...blah de blah...) decided, after intense deliberation, that the greatest rock bands (and the only ones worth bothering with) were/are:

the Rolling Stones (between 'Beggars Banquet' and 'Goatshead Soup')
Thin Lizzy
AC/DC
Aerosmith

Are we right or what?

Anyone who says "no, Led Zep" is disqualified.

craner
24-12-2004, 02:17 AM
We're Rock Aeshtetes. Remember that, before you mess with us. Now begin.

luka
24-12-2004, 04:09 AM
craner you buffon! how can you exlude the zep?
i spose i can understand that as undergraduate revisionism but where the fuck is motorhead the only rock band i listen to more than about once a year. some of the worlds most vital, joyous celebratory music. i#ve got a signed copy of lemmys autobiography.
i'm well with you when it comes to think lizzy though,ever since i got live and dangerous. i like cowboy and massacre best on that album.

ac/dc i can listen to, but i'll never love them. wheres black sabbath? somebody i know would punch you straight in the face no questoins asked for ommiting the who, but i'd defend you there, never quite 'got them' are we assuming hendrix 'transcends rock' in some way?

i used to think the stones were just shit, but then i relised it was the sheer utter excruciating shitness of jaggers vocals which were obscuring the merits of the songs. i like that beast of burden one. i think thats the one i like. and under my thumb. i love the intro, i think thats the one.

martin
24-12-2004, 08:07 AM
I'd also go for Motorhead. Leather Nun and Zodiac Mindwarp close runners up.

Diggedy Derek
24-12-2004, 08:42 AM
That list is nothing without Black Sabbath. Death to false metal!

owen
24-12-2004, 09:18 AM
too much of a boogieing list that...bands with noticeable rhythm sections and stuff. like rock for people with girlfriends or something

hamarplazt
24-12-2004, 09:41 AM
I think this list confirm what I've always felt anyway: rock is crap.

stelfox
24-12-2004, 09:45 AM
what about carcass?
incidentally, has anyone here heard the earl shilton mix of alter ego's "rocker".
it's done by one of the dudes out of bolthrower and is AWESOME!

mms
24-12-2004, 10:52 AM
what about carcass?
incidentally, has anyone here heard the earl shilton mix of alter ego's "rocker".

cor i'd like to hear that,earl shlton is one of those invisible spies lot, from that funny band toah dynamic as well u noah

sabbath are missing from that list actually they should be the only band on that list.
incidentally sabbath are the absolute kings of the breakdown ; check supernaught, where the track breaks down and comes back as a brazillian percussion workout, or symptom of te universe where the chugging heads down riff comes back as a funky acoustic guitar riff. hands in the air moments those.

craner
24-12-2004, 10:58 AM
well ac/dc was her thing but the zep are a bit, uh, serious for either of us, but we're here to learn. Merry Christmas everybody. Here's how I feel most of the time: :o

carlos
24-12-2004, 01:25 PM
have to go with MOTORHEAD (lemmy-fast eddie-philthy era) as one of the greatest rock bands. also my first concert ever!

other favorites:

Mott The Hoople
The Sonics
Blue Cheer
Budgie

Woebot
24-12-2004, 02:34 PM
i picked up metallica's 'ride the lightning' a couple of months ago and ive had it on constant rotation. that is one muthafucka of a record, sheer joy, the riffs hit the spot every bloody time and just roll and roll. i dont know about their other ones but that puts them in the upper echelons for me.

what else? well you cant BUT include The Stooges. Just typing this makes me wish i had their second lp to hand.

the following are all pansies:
the clash
the stones
the mc5 (though i had a great bootleg which delivered where kick out/backintheusa/hightimes fail to)

big black were pretty awesome, but rapeman were even better. that rapeman lp, if you can get past the bands titles is absolutely amazing.

zz top

carlos
24-12-2004, 02:58 PM
but Metallica are total pansies too- "ride the ligthning" especially! that faux-classical guitar intro for example. "kill'em all" on the other hand... and most of "master of puppets" is good.

Stooges and ZZ Top- hell yes...

anyway- pansies that rock hard: Mott The Hoople, The Move, Cheap Trick, T-Rex

dominic
24-12-2004, 04:04 PM
i'd drop aerosmith and metallica from the list, and replace them with, first, the stooges, and, second, the queens of the stone age collective

i suppose we're not to include anything too artsy on this list?

nick.K
24-12-2004, 04:15 PM
stooges for the energy, zep for being excessive and epic, motorhead for the noise.

it's easier to pick out rock moments than rock bands/careers and I'm trying to keep all this seperate from rawk, AOR, rock as lifestyle, metal or punk. it's hard where to draw the line, 1980? it's tempting to include all heavy guitar offshoots, inwhich case there'd be stacks of albini and drone. oliver's choices fit that definition, but I wouldn't stick em at the top my my list.

aerosmith? nah. they kinda took themselves seriously, no? zep did too, but they were far more interesting
AC/DC? 'dirty deeds' -> 'for those about to rock', yeah. but then they trundled on for ever being exactly the same after that.
Thin Lizzy? I've no idea why that'd be. Gary Moore completely overplayed his hand.
Rolling Stones, i don't really know outside of the classics and let it bleed. maybe they were? mick always sounds stands out, it irks me

but they all rock! and that's what matters.

mms
24-12-2004, 04:34 PM
well ac/dc was her thing but the zep are a bit, uh, serious for either of us, but we're here to learn. Merry Christmas everybody. Here's how I feel most of the time: :o

led zep - have you tried watching the song remains the same?
basically a bunch of overgrown overmoneyed idiots pretending to be various male asshole archetypes, it is unbelivable.
if i was on the recieving end of the disco sucks campaign i would have just forced those guys to attempt to watch it all the way through. they'd soon give up resistance and start booging to sylvester.

incidentally a mate of mine used to have a canal boat moored in the same road as jimmy page's house (and natalie ubriglia).
Page had a boat as well and his wife asked him if he could come and have a look at it. asked him if he could fix some things in the house too. Soon he ended up actually living in the house as a sort of janitor, handyman/driver.
Apparently Page was a seriously moody man who spent alot of time with his guitars, whilst him and his family kinda lived like overgrown babies.
One day the same friend was sitting in a local caf listening to the radio and he won a radio competion to have the sugar babes play at his house, obviously his house at the time was jimmy page's, however my mate got the sack just before it ws going to happen. Imagine that though, i reckon there woulda been a right storm, ultimate pop meets ultimate rock.

i can't believe if we're extending the rock thread to metallists overall that no one has mentioned slayer's reign in blood lp, horrible genius and released on def jam, sampled by everyone from P.E to lil john.

jd_
24-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Yeah, ZZ Top was the big omission I think, they should be number 1 for Tres Hombres alone. Deep Purple, Sabbath, Queen, Zeppelin, and CCR too. Heart, Guess Who, Motorhead like Luka mentioned, just tons of good bands, I really like T2 and Wishbone Ash too although sticking with the classics seems more the move.

jd_
24-12-2004, 05:49 PM
You can't allow metal into the definition of rock, it's not fair to all the dinosaurs. It'd be pretty wicked to boot the Who and add Sepultura though.

nick.K
24-12-2004, 05:52 PM
you know that quote from citizen kane

back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

I feel the same way about the riff from ZZTop's Sharp Dressed Man

jenks
24-12-2004, 07:02 PM
Free! the whole Fire and Water era.
heard Freebird on the radio whilst ironing and although i know no other skynyrd, this single track must count as rock personified
with correspondents on lizzy and ash - dual lead attack!
merry christmas one and all

jd_
24-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Oh yeah, Free! Missed James Gang + The Faces too. Fleetwood Mac. Rory Gallagher + Sweet, Blue Cheer, Procol Harum, 10cc, ELO + The Allman Bros.

satanmcnugget
24-12-2004, 10:20 PM
Aerosmith? as resident gas-huffing lunkhead/expert on rawk music, i hafta tell ya, Aerosmith went down the tubes a LONG time ago...ugh!

Im with Luka in loving Motorhead...been a long time since they did much, but they rawked harder in two years than Aerosmith in a career...same with ZZ Top...too dismissed by music snobs cuz they had the temerity to sell more than three records

yeah, the Stooges are also gawd...early Metallica just plain DESTROYED...too bad they need to be hunted down and strung by what is left of their balls now, though

anybody ever read Rock and the Pop Narcotic by Joe Carducci?...hilarious and highly recommended...overly macho ranting about the Stooges and ACDC that is so unabashedly PASSIONATE about hard-rawking music that you can easily forgive him for whatever flaws there are in the book (although the You dont like ZZ Top, well put my fucking book down, wuss-ass, thing does wear after a while)

stevienixed
24-12-2004, 11:01 PM
That list is nothing without Black Sabbath. Death to false metal!

after reading tommy lee's biography, i was almost tempted to buy girlgirlgirls. we bought MM FOOD instead.

martin
24-12-2004, 11:35 PM
What about the Pretty Things? They shat all over the Stones. I knew this kid at school who was really into some pants metal band who had goats' heads all over the record sleeves. Do you remember when Tommy Vance used to be on Radio 1, "And tonight - and we're really breaking all council noise pollution regulations with this one - we have AXE WARPER, recorded live at Donington". Fucking hell.

blissblogger
25-12-2004, 04:37 AM
steppenwolf, purely for 'born to be wild' and 'magic carpet ride'

james gang, "funk #49"

lynyrd skynyrd, "freebird", a few others

alice cooper, "school's out", "elected"

budgie, seconded

zz, "cheap sunglasses"

hawkwind, "silver machine"

guru guru

blissblogger
25-12-2004, 04:38 AM
oh and not forgetting royal trux, cats and dogs and thank you and sweet sixteen

Nostra Namus
25-12-2004, 05:01 AM
Today I picked up a copy of the latest Wired because the cover story is: "In Praise Of the Riff"

The praise was heaped upon:

MC5 - "Somehow, Ann Arbor Michigan became the spiritual home of the revolutionary riff..."

Stooges - "the best Stooges riffs somehow conjure whole universes of wayward, inspirational excitement from thier defiantly sparse materials"

Velvet Underground - "VU was less focused on the riff than the Stooges, but when they went for it, they brought to bear all the harmonic density of La Monte Young's Theater Of Eternal Music, and all the feral ferocity of a street-sleeping speedfreak."

Now in the same article the writer dishes major disses:

"Exhibitionists like Clapton, Page and Beck all missed the point, paving the way for heavy rock and the tedious, denim-clad cul de sac of Metal"

"...most of heavy rock's riff-wielding hierarchy - Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, AC/DC - are revealed as leaden-footed, prehistoric."

"Sweatloaf, The Butthole Surfers's mutant assault on Sabbath's "Sweet Leaf", was a genuinely psychedelic attempt to claim it back for the real freaks..."

What's the deal?

redcrescent
25-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Today I picked up a copy of the latest Wired because the cover story is: "In Praise Of the Riff"
You certainly mean The Wire, not Wired. One little letter, one huge difference!

On the rawk tip... Most things after 1972/3 are pretty dire, I find, and even by then the really good stuff (Black Sabbath, Stooges, Little Feat, etc.) was thin on the ground.
I'm with Stelfox on Carcass (you weren't joking, were you?) and personally I'd include a lot of 1984-1992 grindcore/death metal/thrash, too, even though I suspect most people probably wouldn't. Napalm Death's Scum, Obituary's Cause of Death/Entombed's Left Hand Path, and, well yes, Metallica's ...And Justice For All are my picks for each of those genres, in case anyone gives a toss.
I honestly wouldn't mind if electric guitar music was left for dead, though. Nothing disgusts me more than articles on new bands who will "save rock" and whatnot (you all know them, a recent template being: all-male, Scandinavian, unkempt and with matching suits) - retrograde, fucking boring and reactionary to the core.

satanmcnugget
25-12-2004, 08:38 PM
yeah, i hear you, RC....yawn....BUT, there is STILL something about GOOD guitar-rawk music that prevents me from wishing it wld go away entirely (although, like u, i dont think id cry TOO much)

i think what id like to see is some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians...not sure if ive ever heard any, which i think is odd given the sheer number of musicians out there...ud think id be able to come up with a single example off the top of my head, but i cant

(walked into a donut shop today for a coffee...they had the radio tuned to a classic rawk station...they were blaring an old Kinks tune (Girl, I want to be with you forever...all day and all of the night...u know the one?)...and it honestly rattled me to the bones....im 37 yrs old, and i was like, Whhhhhoooooaaaaa!!!...it may be reactionary now and all that, but it sure did have its appeal, and i can see why)

dubplatestyle
26-12-2004, 01:04 AM
Bad Brains

dubplatestyle
26-12-2004, 01:04 AM
wtf i totally wrote that in all caps

redcrescent
26-12-2004, 01:27 PM
i think what id like to see is some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians...not sure if ive ever heard any, which i think is odd given the sheer number of musicians out there...ud think id be able to come up with a single example off the top of my head, but i cant

Fennesz?

(walked into a donut shop today for a coffee...they had the radio tuned to a classic rawk station...they were blaring an old Kinks tune (Girl, I want to be with you forever...all day and all of the night...u know the one?)...and it honestly rattled me to the bones....im 37 yrs old, and i was like, Whhhhhoooooaaaaa!!!...it may be reactionary now and all that, but it sure did have its appeal, and i can see why)
Alright, just so I'm not misunderstood: Kinks (Village Green..., Live at Kelvin Hall come to mind) have done great things and are undeservedly (but without fail) ranked behind the abominable Rolling Stones. Nothing wrong with enjoying their stuff (once every so often). What I loathe, however, is the misappropriation of their looks and moves by a bunch of clueless fools with a rockist messiah complex and without an ounce of the Kinks' talent, vision or passion.
In a more general sense it's about the limited time and space (and funds, as ever) for music. I find all of these are too precious to be squandered on ultracynical 'retro' marketing ploys. I have stacks of fantastic shit lying around which I can't hope to hear in this lifetime (though I'll try) and I find I am increasingly reluctant to follow things like the antics of the latest rawk flavor of the week.

craner
27-12-2004, 04:08 PM
The ones I like by Aerosmith are 'Draw the line' and 'Back in the Saddle' and 'Sweet Emotion' and most of Pump. They were once quite sick and scuzzy too, which I also like.

craner
27-12-2004, 04:23 PM
but why do you all hate the Stones so much? They've got loads of good songs and tunes and sounds and they were funny and full of glory at one moment in time...BACCHANALIAN trash...

craner
27-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Other rock highlights: Skid Row, 'Unskinny Bop', Hendrix, 'Appetite for Destruction'...

Also: 'Reign in Blood' was a fucking MASSIVE record in the Rhondda Valley...

Ach!
28-12-2004, 12:08 AM
Death "Lack of Comprehension".

Blindin'.

Backjob
28-12-2004, 08:10 AM
Well Runrig's "The cutter and the clan" was a fucking massive record in the Isle of Skye but I don't see that making it qualify for rock'n roll immortality...

gff
28-12-2004, 09:46 AM
def leppard! def leppard were and remain amazing. two albums anyway.

mms
28-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Well Runrig's "The cutter and the clan" was a fucking massive record in the Isle of Skye but I don't see that making it qualify for rock'n roll immortality...

yeah but reign in blood is absolutley fkin awesome.
it's got all the sum parts, rick rubin, loads of crap about the devil, atonal guitar solos of a kind never heard in rock before, scornful superhuman speed and you can easily fit it on one side of a c90.

craner
28-12-2004, 10:34 AM
I wasn't claiming that it qualified for rock and roll immortality. I've never even heard the record. I was just imparting an interesting titbit, you stroppy git.

I just sevred a customer in my shop who said "you may hate me, but I hate you too. The emotion is completely reciprocated."

I hadn't even said anything!

Backjob
28-12-2004, 03:57 PM
Ease up was just amused by mention of Rhondda. Didn't mean nuffin.

craner
28-12-2004, 05:40 PM
I'm eased.

grimly fiendish
28-12-2004, 10:48 PM
some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians

trans am, dude!

and i'd say isis do this too, to an extent. oh, and mogwai, of course. then there's stuff like klingklang, but they're trying a little too hard.

as for "classic" rock - which is kinda the theme here - the stooges and sabbath are pretty much all you need. the MC5 leave me a little cold, and i've never worked out why. and i hate led zeppelin on principle. all that cod-mystic fannying about ... they can sod right off.

grimly fiendish
28-12-2004, 10:51 PM
oh yeh. and meat loaf. you can't forget the loaf. (even though i just did.)

nomos
29-12-2004, 01:46 AM
Well, not so much rock in the "rock" sense of the term, but if we're getting tangential then I'll big up Drive Like Jehu - after-punk, not So-Cal South Cali abstracted screeching, chugging rock. Spikes to You and all that. Rocket From the Crypt's more interesting brother. Criminally neglected by his parents. And a big man in the Bible to boot.

johneffay
29-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Hawkwind; particularly between 1969 amd 1974. Really early Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd would probably qualify as well.

Diggedy Derek
29-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Ah yeah, all excellent selections.

turtles
29-12-2004, 08:07 PM
C'mon people, no mention of Van Halen? Ya they ended up sucking pretty hard, but their first album? I mean, how hard does "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" rock? HARD! Not to mention the solo-madness of "Eruption"...

Grievous Angel
30-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Leather Nun
"The time has come for the old gods to call in the hordes for the final battle!"
TUNE!

Zodiac Mindwarp
Saw 'em at the Pink Toothbrush in Rayleigh (near Southend) in, umm, 1987 I think. Great stuff. Did a fab encore of Wham's "I'm your man".

Grievous Angel
30-12-2004, 07:50 PM
Aerosmith -- good but too patchy... unless your a teenage american girl, in which case they still rule apparently...

Deep Purple -- it's all about Highway Star, the version off Live in Japan. Amazing. Jon Lord!!

Thin Lizzy -- great but they were a pop band. And all the better for it.

The Stones are obviously fairly irrelevant to the canon under construction. The Stones were great but they're only tangentially connected with the others listed. Same for the Clash, who were The Greatest Band Ever.

Leaving out da Zepp is just puckish. Sure half of the Song remains the same is rubbish (lets leave my opinion on Page's ontological position to one side :) ) but then so is that Led Zepp live DVD from last year. Maybe I should give it another go with the new DVD player but -- holds nose -- phew! The thing to bear in mind about Led Zepp though is that, like AC/DC, they were FUNKY AS FUCK. One day I WILL have two copies of Back in Black to scratch the fuck out of. And if you haven't got down to Custard Pie or Misty Mountain Hop you haven't lived.

The Stooges -- awesomely transcendent. But they were very clearly an acid house band before their time. They were from Detroit and everything. I refuse to budge from this position and Dr Beck is with me on this one.

I'd just like to mention Frank Zappa's Stevie's Spanking in passing.

jd_
31-12-2004, 02:43 PM
I've got a record by Kingdom Come called 'Journey' that manages a decent halfway point. There's no drummer, instead there's this old drum machine firing away which gives all the songs a weird feel that's out pf place with other old rock records. One too by Paris called 'Big Town 2061' that adds big synths all over Zeppelin/James Gang type stuff. It's less successful, but it's more of a hybrid.

For newer stuff I'd say Thrones 'Sperm Whale', drum machines + keyboards,vocoders with drone metal bass and some bizarre turns. Some wicked metal falsettos at times too.

mms
31-12-2004, 03:47 PM
I've got a record by Kingdom Come called 'Journey' that manages a decent halfway point. There's no drummer, instead there's this old drum machine firing away which gives all the songs a weird feel that's out pf place with other old rock records. One too by Paris called 'Big Town 2061' that adds big synths all over Zeppelin/James Gang type stuff. It's less successful, but it's more of a hybrid.

For newer stuff I'd say Thrones 'Sperm Whale', drum machines + keyboards,vocoders with drone metal bass and some bizarre turns. Some wicked metal falsettos at times too.

blimey yeah that kingdom come is wigged out.
no one has mentioned that not very good spooky tooth record with pierre henry. new york gong i guess as well do that .

AshRa
31-12-2004, 05:57 PM
sabbath are missing from that list actually they should be the only band on that list.

I'm a bit late on this, but I whole heartedly agree.

puretokyo
04-01-2005, 07:00 AM
what about carcass?

Terrorizer - World Downfall

Like Carcass, but they did it faster! Rooooooarrrrgh.

egg
06-01-2005, 12:46 PM
only one mention of 'appetite for destruction'? found some old cassettes recently and bashed that constantly in the car... guns n' roses - the apostrophe always got me - do they mean guns no roses?

jenks
06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
no mention of janes addiction, why not? those two albums - nothings shocking and ritual whatever are great particularly the latter with the epic three days. surely worth a mention

scottdisco
06-01-2005, 11:35 PM
don't think they've been mentioned and reckon WOEBOT might agree how about

minutemen

Quicksilver MS?

egg
07-01-2005, 10:32 AM
i think what id like to see is some better integration between guitar-rawkers and electronic musicians...not sure if ive ever heard any, which i think is odd given the sheer number of musicians out there...ud think id be able to come up with a single example off the top of my head, but i cant Do Garbage count? Republica? Heavy enough?

matt b
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
bitch magnet
sleep
spazz
slint
the last melt banana lp was fantastically 'rock'
any sam mcpheeters band
the stupids
shellac /fugazi/ iron monkey for live experience
bilge pump
swing kids or mohinder or stumpy

scottdisco
07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
yeah Iron Monkey with those classic tee shirt slogans, live, are excellent.

i saw 'em blow away Napalm Death once in a Staffordshire toilet.

scottdisco
07-01-2005, 01:00 PM
notice i saw em blow <i>away</i> ver Death... ...i really should think more carefully about my choice of words in future.

matt b
07-01-2005, 01:10 PM
i think they destroyed every band they played with (and themselves). morrow's last band before his (very) untimely death were fantastic live too.

scottdisco
07-01-2005, 01:19 PM
yeah hear hear.

i only ever saw IM but they were remarkable.

stalking the stage like pitbulls was the phrase of choice at Kerrang! but it was one cliche that held water.

fabulous sight.

Morrow burned bright etc.

matt b
07-01-2005, 01:40 PM
he couldn't have been more different off stage- hugely funny, generous etc etc. still extremely upsetting. much missed.

kerrang wet themselves at the sight of him. unsuprising, given their liking of rubbish such as cradle of filth.

matt b
07-01-2005, 01:47 PM
in light of the above, i'd also add rorschach, hard to swallow, infest and citizen's arrest to the list.

craner
07-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember
We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll

I love it, but what does it mean?

egg
07-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Marconi plays the mamba, listen to the radio, don't you remember
We built this city, we built this city on rock an' roll

I love it, but what does it mean?Classic.

The lyrics for the chorus must never deal with anything but the most basic of human emotions...stick to the cliches...they deal with the emotional topics we all feel... the lyrics can be quite meaningless in a literal sense but still have a great emotional pull (The Manual)

Or as Robbie would say

Listen to the radio
And you will hear the songs you know

Or is it

you will hear the songs, you know?

But the sheer force of the vocal arrangement communicates what isn't contained in Starship's lyrics. I watched the video the other day and it made me wish that Mannequin was still on at the cinema. THAT's the power of rock.

appleblim
07-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Iron Monkey - one of the best bands i have ever seen.

used to frequent a club called Devils Church...IM played once, broke monitors, destroyed the stage, and wrecked the promotors house afterwards too.....they were dangerous....

mms
13-01-2005, 07:57 PM
i ws wrong about black sabbath being the only good band cos i forgot about lightning bolt.
If you ever get the chance to see them do, they are a man in a mask with a mic strapped to his face, singing and playing the drums with another guy playing guitar.
They play off the edge of the stage, in the audience. You have to be pretty hardcore to go down there, you have to be prepared to bleed a little, get the sweat of the guy in the kyuss t shirt on you, and bang your head into the girl in the misfits shirts' chin.

They sound more like an industrial techno mash up night tho, all tearing electric energy. abstracted psychedelic and strangley joyful. They are on load records which is a good label and like ipecac, hydrahead etc realise potential of rock and electronics.

i didnt stand near the front when i saw them, i don't want to get my red bow tie and my cream cord suit dirty.

matt b
14-01-2005, 08:54 AM
yeah, lightning bolt rule. they have an ace dvd too, which is a pretty good representation of the live experience.
they are a drummer (who is absolutely insane in a sped up jazz/ hardcore fashion) and a bassist BTW ;)

vincebus eruptum, noxagt and men's recovery project also have stuff on load.

luka
01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQlDRMhsPI

decent thread. this reynolds recommendation turns out to be a real winner. i dont like rock much.

luka
01-10-2016, 04:06 PM
zz top would have been great if the vocals werent so thin

luka
01-10-2016, 05:08 PM
King of sparks/sharp dressed man are the other two mentioned here. Both great but again characterless, thin, meek vocals