Rock!

craner

Beast of Burden
Myself and A. (...blah de blah...) decided, after intense deliberation, that the greatest rock bands (and the only ones worth bothering with) were/are:

the Rolling Stones (between 'Beggars Banquet' and 'Goatshead Soup')
Thin Lizzy
AC/DC
Aerosmith

Are we right or what?

Anyone who says "no, Led Zep" is disqualified.

Last edited:

luka

craner you buffon! how can you exlude the zep?
i spose i can understand that as undergraduate revisionism but where the fuck is motorhead the only rock band i listen to more than about once a year. some of the worlds most vital, joyous celebratory music. i#ve got a signed copy of lemmys autobiography.
i'm well with you when it comes to think lizzy though,ever since i got live and dangerous. i like cowboy and massacre best on that album.

ac/dc i can listen to, but i'll never love them. wheres black sabbath? somebody i know would punch you straight in the face no questoins asked for ommiting the who, but i'd defend you there, never quite 'got them' are we assuming hendrix 'transcends rock' in some way?

i used to think the stones were just shit, but then i relised it was the sheer utter excruciating shitness of jaggers vocals which were obscuring the merits of the songs. i like that beast of burden one. i think thats the one i like. and under my thumb. i love the intro, i think thats the one.

owen

too much of a boogieing list that...bands with noticeable rhythm sections and stuff. like rock for people with girlfriends or something

stelfox

Beast of Burden
what about carcass?
incidentally, has anyone here heard the earl shilton mix of alter ego's "rocker".
it's done by one of the dudes out of bolthrower and is AWESOME!

mms

sometimes
stelfox said:
what about carcass?
incidentally, has anyone here heard the earl shilton mix of alter ego's "rocker".
it's done by one of the dudes out of bolthrower and is AWESOME!

cor i'd like to hear that,earl shlton is one of those invisible spies lot, from that funny band toah dynamic as well u noah

sabbath are missing from that list actually they should be the only band on that list.
incidentally sabbath are the absolute kings of the breakdown ; check supernaught, where the track breaks down and comes back as a brazillian percussion workout, or symptom of te universe where the chugging heads down riff comes back as a funky acoustic guitar riff. hands in the air moments those.

craner

Beast of Burden
well ac/dc was her thing but the zep are a bit, uh, serious for either of us, but we're here to learn. Merry Christmas everybody. Here's how I feel most of the time: :eek:

carlos

manos de piedra
have to go with MOTORHEAD (lemmy-fast eddie-philthy era) as one of the greatest rock bands. also my first concert ever!

other favorites:

Mott The Hoople
The Sonics
Blue Cheer
Budgie

Woebot

i picked up metallica's 'ride the lightning' a couple of months ago and ive had it on constant rotation. that is one muthafucka of a record, sheer joy, the riffs hit the spot every bloody time and just roll and roll. i dont know about their other ones but that puts them in the upper echelons for me.

what else? well you cant BUT include The Stooges. Just typing this makes me wish i had their second lp to hand.

the following are all pansies:
the clash
the stones
the mc5 (though i had a great bootleg which delivered where kick out/backintheusa/hightimes fail to)

big black were pretty awesome, but rapeman were even better. that rapeman lp, if you can get past the bands titles is absolutely amazing.

zz top

carlos

manos de piedra
but Metallica are total pansies too- "ride the ligthning" especially! that faux-classical guitar intro for example. "kill'em all" on the other hand... and most of "master of puppets" is good.

Stooges and ZZ Top- hell yes...

anyway- pansies that rock hard: Mott The Hoople, The Move, Cheap Trick, T-Rex

dominic

Beast of Burden
i'd drop aerosmith and metallica from the list, and replace them with, first, the stooges, and, second, the queens of the stone age collective

i suppose we're not to include anything too artsy on this list?

nick.K

gabba survivor
stooges for the energy, zep for being excessive and epic, motorhead for the noise.

it's easier to pick out rock moments than rock bands/careers and I'm trying to keep all this seperate from rawk, AOR, rock as lifestyle, metal or punk. it's hard where to draw the line, 1980? it's tempting to include all heavy guitar offshoots, inwhich case there'd be stacks of albini and drone. oliver's choices fit that definition, but I wouldn't stick em at the top my my list.

aerosmith? nah. they kinda took themselves seriously, no? zep did too, but they were far more interesting
AC/DC? 'dirty deeds' -> 'for those about to rock', yeah. but then they trundled on for ever being exactly the same after that.
Thin Lizzy? I've no idea why that'd be. Gary Moore completely overplayed his hand.
Rolling Stones, i don't really know outside of the classics and let it bleed. maybe they were? mick always sounds stands out, it irks me

but they all rock! and that's what matters.

mms

sometimes
oliver craner said:
well ac/dc was her thing but the zep are a bit, uh, serious for either of us, but we're here to learn. Merry Christmas everybody. Here's how I feel most of the time: :eek:

led zep - have you tried watching the song remains the same?
basically a bunch of overgrown overmoneyed idiots pretending to be various male asshole archetypes, it is unbelivable.
if i was on the recieving end of the disco sucks campaign i would have just forced those guys to attempt to watch it all the way through. they'd soon give up resistance and start booging to sylvester.

incidentally a mate of mine used to have a canal boat moored in the same road as jimmy page's house (and natalie ubriglia).
Page had a boat as well and his wife asked him if he could come and have a look at it. asked him if he could fix some things in the house too. Soon he ended up actually living in the house as a sort of janitor, handyman/driver.
Apparently Page was a seriously moody man who spent alot of time with his guitars, whilst him and his family kinda lived like overgrown babies.
One day the same friend was sitting in a local caf listening to the radio and he won a radio competion to have the sugar babes play at his house, obviously his house at the time was jimmy page's, however my mate got the sack just before it ws going to happen. Imagine that though, i reckon there woulda been a right storm, ultimate pop meets ultimate rock.

i can't believe if we're extending the rock thread to metallists overall that no one has mentioned slayer's reign in blood lp, horrible genius and released on def jam, sampled by everyone from P.E to lil john.

jd_

Yeah, ZZ Top was the big omission I think, they should be number 1 for Tres Hombres alone. Deep Purple, Sabbath, Queen, Zeppelin, and CCR too. Heart, Guess Who, Motorhead like Luka mentioned, just tons of good bands, I really like T2 and Wishbone Ash too although sticking with the classics seems more the move.

jd_

You can't allow metal into the definition of rock, it's not fair to all the dinosaurs. It'd be pretty wicked to boot the Who and add Sepultura though.

nick.K

gabba survivor
you know that quote from citizen kane

back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.

I feel the same way about the riff from ZZTop's Sharp Dressed Man

jenks

thread death
Free! the whole Fire and Water era.
heard Freebird on the radio whilst ironing and although i know no other skynyrd, this single track must count as rock personified
with correspondents on lizzy and ash - dual lead attack!
merry christmas one and all