things like ehlers, fennesz, o'rourke

F

foret

i don't know what genre this is exactly, but i'm looking for something like ehlers & mathieu's 'heroin' or fennesz' endless summer or the fenn o' berg albums

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Maybe Tim Hecker's 'Haunt Me, Haunt Me, Do It Again'?

There's an MP3 here, on the label write-up page:

http://www.alien8recordings.com/subsf03.php3

Sort of like taking shoegazer records as a starting point, but trying to re-imagine it in a purely electronic realm.

Another couple of albums I love that are basically ambient stuff by guitarists are Oren Ambarchi's 'Grapes of The Estate' and Rafael Toral's 'The Violence of Discovery and Calm of Acceptance', both on Touch. Similar vintage to that Hecker album.

dwaggin

stone by day
pita, keith fullerton whitman, greg davis, good artists to look for. pita's "get out". keith fullerton whitman / greg davis and "yearlong". keith fullerton whitman's "21:30 for acoustic guitar". greg davis' "arbor".

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Hrvatsky's Guitar piece sounds intriguing, I can't stand most of his hyper-active nerd glitch breaks. Greg Davis was fresh for about 3 months when he first emerged, but if you listen to his album more than 3 times you realize that he is a mediocre at best guitar player who slaps annoying high pitched IDM noises on top to make it seem interesting.

sorry to be negative today... it's strange I'm actually in a great mood

michael

Bring out the vacuum
I really like 'Arbor', but have been a bit disappointed in everything I've heard since.

Keith's non-Hrvatski stuff is pretty standard Kranky fare. Ditto the Greg Davis album he did for Kranky, 'Somnia'.

Every time I go to one of the big record shops here in Tokyo there seems to be a bunch of new CDs on the listening posts that involve processed acoustic guitars, field recordings and stuttering / reversed / both chimes, vibes, xylophone, etc. It's a beautiful little sound world, but pretty easy to reach saturation point. :| Not sure if I like the albums I mentioned in my first post because they're any better or just because I heard them earlier...

I've never really checked out Pita's stuff, but if you're not aware, foret, he's the member of Fenn'o'berg you didn't mention.

Last edited:

dwaggin

stone by day
oren ambarchi's "suspension" with o'rourke and niblock remixes. oren ambarchi and chris towsend's "sun" with hrvatski and voice crack remixes. the greg davis released "autumnature" compilation. goodiepal's "narc beacon". nobukazu takemura's "scape". this group of artists processing acoustic sounds existed for a long time, and i think just more internet sharing and magazine writing caused a lot of releases to flow into shops (see ehlers' "albert ayler"). i am completely ignorant to whose release to buy because there is a lot of it, but i think of it as a fresh, cool air to some other trends to mire music racks.

i have not heard "heroin". what's it like?

Last edited:
F

foret

i like 'heroin' a lot, especially some of the remixes by nobokazu takemura, fennesz and akira rabelais

tim hecker's 'mirages' is good too, also 'the garden of brokenness' by william basinski

will have a look at some of rehberg's own stuff

thanks all

zhao

there are no accidents
I second Heroin. very nice - both original as well as the remixes.

Mathieu's On Tape, reworkings of material by the band Tape, is very, very good. and Sad Mac is good too. only bad thing I've heard by Mathieu is his collab with that co-founder of Mille Plateux, whatshisname, conceptual sound artist... I even met the man on 2 separate occasions but can't remember his name...

from an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by confucius
there are a lot of sound-art, tone-poem, clicks n' drone type things floating around, but it's sometimes hard to find works that are BOTH interesting, innovative, AS WELL AS extremely REWARDING in terms of listening experience. things that are uncompromising and rigorous, yet beautiful at the same time.

the following is a list of artists that immediately come to mind whose work consistantly satisfies, with not a single weak release that I have ever heard. I buy anything I find by these people without hessitation. the brief descriptions of their pallete are very, very basic, and in no way represent the totality of their various projects:

Asmus Tietchens - pure tones and sparse digital debris, microscopic yet supple, mostly cold.

Stephen Mathieu - deep horizontal sound scapes, sometimes wrapped in static. warm.

Steve Roden - gentle sound works, lovely and sweet. very warm.

Akira Rabelais - beautiful original compositions and digital manipulations of things from Eric Satie to extinct forms of Icelandic funeral songs. deeply emotional, usually with a sense of profound loss and sadness.

zhao

there are no accidents
found another list I put down some time ago:

Ryuji Ikeda - 1000 Fragments
Alva Noto - Prototypes
Pan Sonic - A
Asmus Tietchens - Beta Menge
Kaffe Mathews - CD Cecile
Senking - Silencer
Steve Roden - Speak No More About The Leaves
Akira Rabelais -
Stephen Vitiello - Bright and Dusty Things
Oval - Systemische
Aube - Pages From the Book
Toshimaru Nakemura - No Input Mixing Desk
Taylor Deupree and Kenneth Kirchner - Post Piano
Stephen Mathieu - Wormloch Variationen

dwaggin

stone by day
an intriging list, confucius. i like pan sonic and oval a lot, but i don't think they meet the criteria searching for processed acoustics, and are more to do with the microsound, sound art genres.

Last edited:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
dwaggin said:
the greg davis released "autumnature" compilation.
Featuring a track by some knob in Tokyo who wastes too much time on web forums, no less. ;)

I really like the Hrvatski track on here actually - it's an early take on one of his breakcore type tracks, before he added the beats. Much more interesting. :)

Last edited:

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
maybe windy and carl would fit the criteria somewhat, their albums depths and conciousness are not disimilar to endless summer

zhao

there are no accidents
dwaggin said:
don't think they meet the criteria searching for processed acoustics

right, right...

processed acoustics... Mitchel Akiyama's new album, Small Expolosions that are Your to Keep, features a lot of it. less abstract/serious than some things and more playful, but it's a great and wonderful work, and is filled with ideas.

swears

preppy-kei
big satan said:
maybe windy and carl would fit the criteria somewhat, their albums depths and conciousness are not disimilar to endless summer

Yeah, or Stars of the Lid.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
confucius said:
processed acoustics... Mitchel Akiyama's new album, Small Expolosions that are Your to Keep, features a lot of it. less abstract/serious than some things and more playful, but it's a great and wonderful work, and is filled with ideas.
Listened to (duo featuring Akiyama) Desormais' second album today and it's pretty damn on point for this kind of sound. The first album was not so interesting, I reckon.

Mitchell Akiyama's the one who released those Tim Hecker albums, too, so he's obviously got quite an affinity for this sort of business.

zhao

there are no accidents
I've just uploaded Mitchell's contribution to the Mort Aux Vashes series onto my blog.

also Stephan Matheiu's Die Entdeckung Des Wetters.

and 6 unofficial Eno albums.

all either very rare or unreleased. so anti-file sharing people save your moral outrage for another day.

soundslike1981

Sorry if this seems like a plug, but. . .

I've been told the stuff I used to do fits in with Fennesz and his ilk, though I'm not really familiar with him/them. It's all improvisational, but fairly structured and mostly "melodic". I am a non-musician, so it was all made pretty much as an excuse to play around with (no-budget) production--I didn't have any musician friends doing the sort of stuff I was interested in producing, so I had to make the raw materials myself. This was all done when I was between the ages of about 19 and 21 (5+ years ago). I've done some slightly more purely texture-based stuff more recently, but none of it's on my website (which hasn't been updated in a few years). If anyone likes at all what they hear, I'll put some of the more recent (meaning within the last couple years) stuff up.

http://www.clockwatching.net/~vroom/ian/

I'd recommend 'Complicity' and 'The Irish Sea'--those are the two that might be relevant to this thread, and which I still sort of enjoy. They're downloadable track-by-track on the respective album pages, but if that's a hassle but anyone is curious I'll up them as zipped files. If you find it's all crap, I won't be offended--it was never something I took seriously, and I'll never consider myself a musician or an artist.

soundslike1981

confucius said:
I've just uploaded Mitchell's contribution to the Mort Aux Vashes series onto my blog.

also Stephan Matheiu's Die Entdeckung Des Wetters.

and 6 unofficial Eno albums.

all either very rare or unreleased. so anti-file sharing people save your moral outrage for another day.

Can't wait to hear these. Thanks much!

Don Rosco

soundslike1981 said:
I'll never consider myself a musician or an artist.

I'm not sure I understand that attitude - you make music, ergo you're a musician. It's not some club you have to be invited to. You're there!

FWIW, I quite like your stuff. It's a little smoothed-out for me, but it's very good for what it is.

edit: that compliment reads way worse than I meant it to. I really do like your music! Complicity moreso than the Irish Sea.

And thanks for the ups Confucius...

Last edited: