Johnny Dark

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I'm bang into this neo-2 step type EP.
If anyone could recommend an on-line mix of similar stuff that would be a good thing.

swears

preppy-kei
Listened to the sample on the kin records website. I enjoyed the tune but it doesn't really bring anything new to the 2step sound. I suppose it must sound pretty fresh if you're unfamiliar with the genre in the first place.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
swears said:
Listened to the sample on the kin records website. I enjoyed the tune but it doesn't really bring anything new to the 2step sound. I suppose it must sound pretty fresh if you're unfamiliar with the genre in the first place.
indeed......heard a little at the time on pirates but it did'nt seem to catch on in Manchester (if it did 'twas beneath my critical radar)

swears

preppy-kei
labrat said:
indeed......heard a little at the time on pirates but it did'nt seem to catch on in Manchester (if it did 'twas beneath my critical radar)

2step? It was all over mainstream radio and tv. 1999-2001 You had loads of big name commercial producers, MJ Cole, Artful Dodger, etc...

labrat

hot on the heels of love
swears said:
2step? It was all over mainstream radio and tv. 1999-2001 You had loads of big name commercial producers, MJ Cole, Artful Dodger, etc...
Oh i heard those...
thats what it is then

S

simon silverdollar

i've been listening to this a lot recently, and still don't know what i think about it.

it's a record that i really want to like, after reading woebot and k-punk's amazing words about it, but i dunno...just feels a little too clinical to me.
i like my 2-step blissier and sexier.

swears

preppy-kei
I think it's weird that a lot more electronica producers didn't pick up on 2step at the time.
You had Squarepusher's Red Hot Car, which was a bit of a pisstake anyway, (I still thought it was a great tune though.) and maybe a couple of tracks by Team Doyobi (Kinda like Autechre meets El-B).
Perhaps they think it's too "girly".

S

simon silverdollar

yeah it was weird- i guess everyone just got so sidetracked by the drill and bass thing.

there was the something J release on warp though, wasn't there, but that was more like a genuine attempt at ukg, rather than an incorporation of garage into IDM idioms.

swears

preppy-kei
simon silverdollar said:
yeah it was weird- i guess everyone just got so sidetracked by the drill and bass thing.

there was the something J release on warp though, wasn't there, but that was more like a genuine attempt at ukg, rather than an incorporation of garage into IDM idioms.

Oh yeah, that track was wicked, more like 187 Lockdown Speed Garage style that Timbo-influenced 2step though. What tune did they sample the vocal from? Some ragga track?
Armani, Versace, Mercedes, Bentley, it went.

tryptych

waiting for a time
simon silverdollar said:

Also in that vein was the fantastic Mu-ziq mix of Capitol K's "Capitol Beat Sticky":

http://www.discogs.com/release/63874

And I would include Ardisson's 12"s on Seed, some of Si Begg's and Tipper's output on Fuel (High Volume and Doughnut esp).

Oh - and Tim Wright of course.

swears

preppy-kei
spackb0y said:
Oh - and Tim Wright of course.

Ha! Another one. "The Ride" is class.
I suppose there are quite a few 2steptronica gems...
But they're way outnumbered by shitty 15th generation amen break workouts.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Just dug out Fourtet's Glasshead 12" for the b-side 'Calamine (Radio Mix)' which goes into a nice (chunky, noisy, perhaps a little lumpen) 2-step thing for the second half. After much Hebden doubting (from me) this ain't bad.

tryptych

waiting for a time
Noel Emits said:
Just dug out Fourtet's Glasshead 12" for the b-side 'Calamine (Radio Mix)' which goes into a nice (chunky, noisy, perhaps a little lumpen) 2-step thing for the second half. After much Hebden doubting (from me) this ain't bad.

That is a wicked record, sadly one I don't own. He did a ltd edition 7" as well that was pretty garage-y, and also of course that remix of Pole on the split 12 they did on Leaf. That's properly weird 2-step, highly recommend it.

http://www.discogs.com/release/46343

I remember seeing Keiran Hebden play live at Plastic People years ago, just after his 2nd LP came out, and his whole set was like 2-step remixes of his tracks... shame he never went further down that road.

Sorry this is a bit of thread hijack now... non of this is really "neo 2 step" as it's all from 2001-2.

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
fourtet and that caribou guy did garagish things - load of other people too
soft pink truth, herbert. akufen, prefuse, microhouse as a genre really, that mercedes bentley record came from someone explaining to maximus (dj scud i think ) what uk g sounded like ..

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
simon silverdollar said:

That was a choon.

There were a few Soft Pink Truth tracks that were pretty two-steppy. I'm sure there was some other stuff too, but yeah, ukg certainly didn't have the impact that jungle did in those circles.

I guess that unlike jungle, a lot of the ukg that showed up on peoples' radar was the smooth slick stuff rather than the sort that really showcased the interesting sides of it, and so a lot of people (myself included to a large extent) weren't particularly tempted to dig deeper. And also, tbf, jungle was just a much bigger leap ahead from what had gone before and brought more new stuff that could be taken off in other directions.

It'll be quite interesting to see what sort of fallout dubstep produces, actually. I've still not heard enough Boxcutter to come to a decision, but more generally it's got a basic form that could lead to some interesting sidetracks.

swears

preppy-kei
I guess that unlike jungle, a lot of the ukg that showed up on peoples' radar was the smooth slick stuff rather than the sort that really showcased the interesting sides of it, and so a lot of people (myself included to a large extent) weren't particularly tempted to dig deeper. And also, tbf, jungle was just a much bigger leap ahead from what had gone before and brought more new stuff that could be taken off in other directions.

Nah, it's just that sticking an amen break into sound forge and fuckin' around with it at random in a crap attempt to emulate Squarepusher, who was in turn copying Dillinja or whoever is a lot easier to do than actually programming those Timbaland influenced "skippy" patterns. I was loving a lot of commercial UKG and 2step at the time, being a bit too up north and young to actually dig deeper.

And a lot of the slick stuff was interesting.

Last edited:

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I’d still love to hear a 2-step mix inspired by /including the stuff Mr. Reynolds wrote about in his adult hardcore piece…..

swears

preppy-kei
labrat said:
I’d still love to hear a 2-step mix inspired by /including the stuff Mr. Reynolds wrote about in his adult hardcore piece…..

Simon Reynolds?
Link to article please.