PDA

View Full Version : What scares you ???

the undisputed truth
12-07-2006, 10:33 AM
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others." - Marianne Williamson Dept of Peace

I always thought Nelson Mandela wrote and said that that but he didn't...

jenks
12-07-2006, 10:39 AM
I have an irrational, but very real, fear of birds. :o

the undisputed truth
12-07-2006, 10:49 AM
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6442/bloodbirds6jw.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

John Doe
12-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Heights. Badly.

I especially have a deep seated fear of walking across high bridges, at night, with dark still water beneath me. Makes me sweat.

Also spiders. Not small, even medium ones, I can handle them. I mean the big ones, the half-the-size-of-your-hand types you get in Australia. I had one in my bedroom when I lived in Sydney and, fuck me, it gave me the fear. :(

D7_bohs
12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
'Nothing frightens me more, than religion at my door'

baboon2004
12-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Cocktail parties and relentless small talk.

Lichen
12-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Do you go to a lot of cocktail parties?

baboon2004
12-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Not since "the incident".

But seriously, I think I went to one, and it scarred me forever. Therapy ain't cheap either.

styledubk
12-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Fish. I have a serious phobia.

zhao
12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
[SIZE=3]"Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

I do think this is true.

I'm scared of large, dark, and deep bodies of water, and the prospect of being alone afloat on the surface. and I'm a Pisces. go figure.

swears
12-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Spending the next forty years in my shitty office job.
I'm trying to figure a way out, but I'm too used to the independence the money gives me.

Freakaholic
12-07-2006, 07:47 PM
For some reason, ive had this fear of wicker for a while.

I cant even go into a Pier 1 without the willies.

Its not that bad, not phobia-size, but still.... wicker gives me the willies.

john eden
12-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I've banned HSDNZ because he is a previously banned poster returning under a new name. I have changed his username accordingly.

He seems almost magnetically attracted to this site, for reasons which elude me.

If any banned posters wish to rejoin then they should discuss it (and the reaons for them being banned) with the moderators first, otherwise this will keep on happening.

bassnation
14-07-2006, 10:17 AM
I do think this is true.

I'm scared of large, dark, and deep bodies of water, and the prospect of being alone afloat on the surface. and I'm a Pisces. go figure.

yeah me too. i tried jet skiing to see if i could overcome it but the thought of having all that water underneath me totally paralysed me. i'm a reasonable swimmer too, its just the ocean that gets me.

Looking up into the void of outer space at nighttime both scares and fascinates too, for much the same reasons.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover
14-07-2006, 01:19 PM
yeah me too. i tried jet skiing to see if i could overcome it but the thought of having all that water underneath me totally paralysed me. i'm a reasonable swimmer too, its just the ocean that gets me.

Looking up into the void of outer space at nighttime both scares and fascinates too, for much the same reasons.

I find sea swimming a bit freaky, but not to the point of stopping me doing it - I quite like the rush actually. But I was on holiday with a friend last week who has a paralysing fear of swimming in the sea. I pursueded him to jump in & he was doing OK, when his hand touched this huge wierd seaweed flower that had appeared out of nowhere & he completely spazzed out. I went back in to do battle with his nemesis but I couldnt find it - it had disappeared back into the deep - eerie.

Worse than the sea are large bodies of freshwater like locks, because they are so calm. At least in the sea the waves occupy you & stop you looking down so much.

And clear seas - I was in sardinia last year & the sea was ridiculously clear, you could be 30-40m above the seabed and see everything on it. 40m vertical is subjectively a very long way down, so I was experiencing a constant mild vertigo. Plus the ocean floor looked wierd & blue, like footage of the moon. Great once you got used to it but it was odd.

nomos
14-07-2006, 02:09 PM
needles

and i've found that my fear of heights usually only kicks in when i'm over water. when i'm walking on a high bridge over a roadway i'm usually all right, but as soon as land gives way to a river below me i'm terrified. i'd actually rather try my luck walking with the traffic than get too close the barrier. i have this odd feeling that i might accidentally leap over the edge.

noel emits
15-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Telephones.

Spent too long working in a hellish call-centre and I still get jumpy when the phone rings. Hate speaking on the things as well.

Surely call-centres are against the Geneva convention?

baboon2004
24-07-2009, 09:14 AM
I want to talk more about fear.

Lichen
24-07-2009, 09:31 AM
All birds, except ducks.

baboon2004
24-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm scared of incredibly straight people who do everything by conventional norms.

Not that I'm massively unconventional or anything, but i certainly pick and choose according to what i think is right, and not for normative reasons. The idea of people doing things their whole lives with no interoogation of why or wherefore, terrifies me.

mixed_biscuits
24-07-2009, 11:41 AM
I too detest small talk, especially at formal occasions like weddings, or semi-formal things like dinner parties. However, if I'm in the right mood, I can steer the conversation into a mode which I prefer, like 'banter', inanity, serious talk about what they do professionally or, if I'm in a particularly pointless mood, I either make up tall stories or put on my best RP and boast.

I also hate walking up flights of steps in front of tall buildings (a kind of upside-down vertigo), wearing fancy dress and the sound of a broom brushing against a rough surface.

Unlike many people, I absolutely love job interview-style situations.

baboon2004
24-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Unlike many people, I absolutely love job interview-style situations.

Me too. I find it quite liberating to just talk shit about myself/embellish the truth for an hour in a supposedly professional setting.

other fears: marrying the wrong person (a big fear), discernibly adopting my parents' worst habits, my tastes becoming ossified, being surrounded by people whose opinions become more and more reeactionary as they age...

craner
24-07-2009, 12:32 PM
And clear seas - I was in sardinia last year & the sea was ridiculously clear, you could be 30-40m above the seabed and see everything on it. 40m vertical is subjectively a very long way down, so I was experiencing a constant mild vertigo.

That sounds so cool. I( want to do that.

powerpill
24-07-2009, 12:32 PM
driving a car

craner
24-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Do not think your house is a hideout it is a telephone
Do not think you walk on your own road, you walk down a telephone
Do not think you sleep in the hand of God you sleep in the mouthpiece of a telephone
Do not think your future is yours it waits upon a telephone
Do not think your thoughts are your own thoughts they are the toys of the telephone
Do not think these days are days they are the sacrificial priests of the telephone
The secret police of the telephone

I am terrified of phones, like Ted Hughes.

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 12:53 PM
I concur, when the telephone rings unexpectedly I always think it's bad news (what fresh hell is this?) which is weird 'cause I'm normally very upbeat and optimistic. Also, I hate (but also love) the idea of a dusty telephone ringing and ringing in an abandoned house, that sends a shiver down my spine. Or when the phone rings and there is no-one there or you get some totally random and peculiar message that isn't for you.
Think this kind of thing probably stems from films - that bit in Memento when he's on the phone for ages and then he notices that one of the tattoos on his arm says "never answer the phone" and in a panic he says "who is this?" and then the phone goes dead. Also Ring has some scary phone scenes. Or there is Seconds where he keeps getting phone calls from his friend who is dead.
Apart from that though I reckon I'm just scared of boring stuff like being on my own in the dark.

alex
24-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I am really terrified (but fascinated) by sharks, even seeing them on television is enough for me, its like i dont want to see it, but im way too interested to pull my eyes away from it..

that and cancer, obviously

mixed_biscuits
24-07-2009, 12:54 PM
My brother is also terrified of phones - he'll let the phone ring out rather than pick it up. It's very unhelpful of him.

craner
24-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I do have to force myself to pick up. I always expect it to be something disasterous. But that may be to do with my messy life. What's weirder is that I'm also averse to doing something that is usually pleasant and productive - ringing friends. This is why I class it as a phobia, rather than mere aversion.

I am really terrified (but fascinated) by sharks

To be fair, this is not irrational at all. After all, sharks have been known to eat people and stuff. What's weirder, and really powerful, is the magnetic attraction to really dangerous sharks. Like you, I get transfixed by large sharks and I really, really want to go on one of those South African cage dives.

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 01:34 PM
"I do have to force myself to pick up. I always expect it to be something disasterous. But that may be to do with my messy life. What's weirder is that I'm also averse to doing something that is usually pleasant and productive - ringing friends. This is why I class it as a phobia, rather than mere aversion."
Ah, I don't have a problem ringing someone else. I'm sure that with me it's the fear of that little slice of the unknown suddenly pushing its way into my life. Of course with mobiles that tell you who is ringing a lot of that disappears, it's hard to be too scared when you see your girlfriend's name on the display - but when you get a withheld number that little comfort you've grown used to is snatched away and suddenly it seems more scary than ever.
I like that bit in Neuromancer when the artificial intelligence is trying to contact him and he's walking past this line of phones, each of which rings as he nears it. Phone boxes have a whole, slightly different scariness to them as well. It's weird when you hear one of them ringing, who rings a phone box? I'm sure that answering such a call could lead you into misadventure. What's the film where he does that only to find that a sniper is training his gun on him? Also, La Cabina, now that is a very scary and surreal film about a phone box. If you haven't seen that it's well worth spending half an hour to check it out on youtube.

mekalaka
24-07-2009, 01:37 PM
-anything related to loss or deprivation of my physical or mental integrity
-cockroaches
-hurt others

STN
24-07-2009, 01:44 PM
You can't dial into phone boxes any more.

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 01:48 PM
"You can't dial into phone boxes any more."
Good.

mixed_biscuits
24-07-2009, 01:50 PM
What's the film where he does that only to find that a sniper is training his gun on him?

Phone Booth

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh aye - any good?
Seriously though, check La Cabina if you haven't seen it. Love the way that everyone has the same experience of seeing it - and they're spot on, it changes from a surreal comedy to absolute bleak, faceless horror and you can't put your finger on when it happened.

During the 80's the BBC used to have a Saturday night horror double bill. On one particular Saturday a sporting event had messed up the scheduling so they stuck a short Spanish horror film on called La Cabina which the subtitles displayed as 'The Telephone Box'. It was only around 1/2 hour in duration and had English subtitles but I thought I'd sit through it while waiting for the real horror movie to come on. So imagine my surprise when this oddity turned out to be one of the most disturbing things I'd ever seen. Now, if I ever need to use a public telephone box I always ensure my foot stops the door from closing!
A big thumbs up for this little shocker

I saw this movie in the early 1980s, possibly as a matinee before Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, and it made such a deep impression on me that i paid no attention to the main feature! It starts off quite simply with our hero becoming stuck in the telephone box [La Cabina] and develops through his efforts to free himself with the assistance of onlookers who are initially amused,then concerned and finally bored to the point where they ignore his plight.Shades of Candid Camera i thought,but nothing prepared me for the terrifying finale when he learns his fate.Like "The Haunting"[1963] this film work on a deeper psychological level,playing on our fear of being in situations we cannot control and the ending seems all too plausible. Not one for the kids, but an easy 10/10

I saw this film in the 1970s and even as a late teenager it gave me the creeps. For many years afterwards I kept my foot between the telephone box and the door. Silly I know but.. There are only a handful of films that have left their mark on me and this is one of them. Have been searching high and low to buy a copy for many years and often wonder how dated it would seem now. I know of only 2 other friends who have seen it and it has left a similar impact on them. The story is a simple one and you know that it seems silly and he will eventually get out and have the mickey taken out of him. I was certainly not prepared for the ending.

martin
24-07-2009, 02:23 PM
You can't dial into phone boxes any more.

Actually, I think that's a shame, it was fun at the time.

Then there was this thing, which, as far as I know, failed to set the world on fire

http://www.irational.org/cybercafe/xrel.html

Sick Boy
24-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I can't reveal my fears for the obvious reason that someone might use them to destroy me.

craner
24-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Very wise. The phone at work's been going mad for about two hours. I don't know who it is, but stop it.

mixed_biscuits
24-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Oh aye - any good?

No idea, haven't seen it.

On the potential bad news front, I don't particularly like receiving letters.

swears
24-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Spending the next forty years in my shitty office job.
I'm trying to figure a way out, but I'm too used to the independence the money gives me.

Spending the next 37 years in my shitty office job.

Immryr
24-07-2009, 03:21 PM
the sucking quicksand of failure

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 03:23 PM
"Spending the next 37 years in my shitty office job."
Me too - although not quite scared enough to do anything about it unfortunately. Though what can I do? I definitely hope that I get made redundant in the near future.

swears
24-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Nuclear war. There's some ex-us army general who reckons there's a 1% chance of nuclear war annually. That's a 0.003% chance daily. There's probably more chance on any given day of just dropping dead of some freak congenital heart defect, but it still shits me up.

Cinnamon Carter
24-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Also, La Cabina, now that is a very scary and surreal film about a phone box. If you haven't seen that it's well worth spending half an hour to check it out on youtube

Just did, thanks! The mesmerising aesthetic appeal of that telephone box may surpass even the red pipes in Tati's Mon Oncle.

Also on a telephone-horror tip, the short story 'Your Tiny Hand Is Frozen' from Robert Aickman's The Wine-Dark Sea is a disturbing narrative indeed.

IdleRich
24-07-2009, 04:25 PM
"Just did, thanks! The mesmerising aesthetic appeal of that telephone box may surpass even the red pipes in Tati's Mon Oncle."
Nice one, hope you enjoyed it.

"Also on a telephone-horror tip, the short story 'Your Tiny Hand Is Frozen' from Robert Aickman's The Wine-Dark Sea is a disturbing narrative indeed."
Now that's an evocative title. Guess I'll have to check it out.

padraig (u.s.)
24-07-2009, 04:40 PM
eh I mean there's things you worry about & there's things you fear. I think mine are almost all the former.

there are only 2 things I truly fear - physical &/or mental incapacitation. & The Fear itself - creeps up on you. I suppose if I had kids I'd probably fear something happening to them, rationally or not, as that's what parents do.

everything else is worries.

Mr. Tea
24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
A totally irrational one for ya, from Mister Rational himself...

I can't sleep with my feet sticking out from under the duvet any more. Not even on a really hot, sultry summer's night when it would actually be really nice.

Because.

Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room. Or maybe your partner, but she/he is fast asleep next to you.

I know it's ridiculous, but now I just can't shake the idea from my head.

Edit: more prosaically, I can't stand the idea of having kids and them Something Happening To Them. But as padraig says, that's more of a worry than a fear - perhaps an exaggerated worry about something that could, and does, actually happen.

mixed_biscuits
24-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Wear socks

Sick Boy
24-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room. Or maybe your partner, but she/he is fast asleep next to you.

hahahaha that is so weird

Mr. Tea
24-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Wear socks

That kinda defeats the point of trying to keep your feet cool in the summer, though.

Einstein.

And it would hardly be any less scary to feel someone touch your feet be-socked than bare. They need the protection of the duvet.

massrock
24-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Some cats like to attack bare feet sticking out so it's not always such an irrational concern. Not any cats I've had tutelage over I might add, but I have encountered such ill disciplined creatures.

nomadthethird
24-07-2009, 07:53 PM
A totally irrational one for ya, from Mister Rational himself...

I can't sleep with my feet sticking out from under the duvet any more. Not even on a really hot, sultry summer's night when it would actually be really nice.

Because.

I used to have this one when I was a kid and afraid of the dark, the two phobias were part of the same general anxiety, that in the dark if I fell asleep someone was inevitably going to come into my room and brutally murder me. I think it was based on TV shows like Rescue 911 and Unsolved Mysteries, which were full of child abduction stories. No matter how hot it was, I never slept without a blanket covering me, sometimes over my head--as if a thin sheet of fabric was going to stop a child-predator psychopath who was on the prowl. But it made sense in my little mind. I didn't sleep much needless to say.

These days I couldn't care less, I have no phobias anymore, I'm not an anxious person. I'm not afraid of water or animals or heights or anything like that. I always find anxious people fascinating. People who scream when they see an insect! haha

mms
24-07-2009, 09:14 PM
time and energy, and not having as much as i want, also i fear that i don't sleep as much as i would like to, i'm often very tired, for reasons beyond my control.
Being fat old and ugly, loosing hearing or sight.
that i am collecting records for no reason and will not get the chance to dj again much, which is something i like to do.
The kids who hang around where i live having nothing to do and getting into trouble because of it.
generally i'm quite apocalyptic but i quite enjoy that to be honest, it spurns me on.

Mr. Tea
25-07-2009, 02:37 AM
I'm not afraid of water or animals or heights or anything like that.

I bet if someone were about to push you off a massive precipice into a lake full of bears, you'd be bricking it.

Benny B
25-07-2009, 07:19 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Tea;195877]

Years ago it occurred to me how utterly fucking terrifying it would be to have one's bare feet lying there exposed and to feel the touch of a human hand on them, while there is of course no-one else in the room.

QUOTE]

An old housemate of mine once hid under my bed and did exactly this as a practical joke. I hit the fucking roof. I did not see the funny side.

Mr. Tea
25-07-2009, 09:54 AM
You see? It just doesn't bear thinking about.

swears
25-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Attractive women. I will actually cross the road to avoid them.

nomadthethird
25-07-2009, 07:17 PM
I bet if someone were about to push you off a massive precipice into a lake full of bears, you'd be bricking it.

I thought we were talking about phobias not rational fears.

zhao
25-07-2009, 09:32 PM
deep water and swimming in it, and a giant sea monster comes up from underneath.

waking up in the middle of the night and the demon from ringu is sitting in the corner of the room. just sitting there.

Mr. Tea
26-07-2009, 01:02 AM
deep water and swimming in it, and a giant sea monster comes up from underneath.

Yes! I've swum across Blue Hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_hole) in Jamaica, which is this old submerged volcanic vent...you go out a few feet from the shore and the seabed just falls away from you into black nothingness. I head that some people went down to the bottom to explore it and Never Came Back. I loved the way when you looked down you could see the sunbeams from above just going down into the blackness. Spooky stuff.

zhao
26-07-2009, 02:36 AM
nice one tea. what's funny is i get flashes of that fear even in a large swimming pool. have always had it since childhood. don't know what that's about.

and also: chickens.

if i really think about it, these flightless "birds" terrify me. there is one chapter in infinite jest where he describes the hallucinations during a BAAAAD come down where this junky is holed up in a public restroom: this giant wingless and featherless chicken just endlessly pecking at him. shivers.

mistersloane
26-07-2009, 03:57 AM

OK, my everyday fear is violent burglary and having to defend myself - one of endless revenge fantasies I have - but one of the most frightening - deeply, primaly fightening - experiences was with (clang) Steve Stapleton for Nurse With Wound in Ireland, he took us to this place to see a dolphin which you could swim with in the sea.

It was freezing, but the dolphin was out there in the sea so I stripped off naked - in winter - and swam out. And I'm out there and then I realised - I didn't know it in my head, I KNEW it in my body - that this huge thing was swimming underneath me. Even knowing it was fucking Flipper didn't make a difference, it was very, intensely, proper fear inducing. The fear ran a direct current right up my back. This thing was much, much bigger than me and was underneath me.

Then I realised that it was zero in the water and my body temperature was dropping, and that I was too scared of the rocks on the shore to swim back - I'd climbed out on them to get into the water, but seeing the waves crashing back onto them was another thing entirely. I couldn't get back, and I could feel myself getting sluggish. It happens very quickly.

I climbed onto a rock in the middle of the sea. Steve's waving at me, Andrea's waving from the coast, and I'm thinking 'I can't swim back, I'm fucked'. There were a few people in wetsuits out there, and one came up to me and asked if I was OK and I was speechless and they were like "It's quite scary out here, isn't it?". Me shaking my head vigorously and trying not to cry. I summoned up courage and swam back, and Andrea's on the coastline shouting at me and I'm thinking yeah yeah and then I look round and the fucking dolphin is swimming next to me, it swims back with me all the way to the coast, nearly shelving itself as I get out.

Shit was deep. I was freezing for hours afterwards, the headache from cold is unbelievably painful.

Moral of this story is I guess even if your fears are founded, there's always help right there if you can see it.

Or don't be a fucking prick and go swimming with a dolphin with an avant garde musician in the middle of winter.

mms
26-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Yes! I've swum across Blue Hole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_hole) in Jamaica, which is this old submerged volcanic vent...you go out a few feet from the shore and the seabed just falls away from you into black nothingness. I head that some people went down to the bottom to explore it and Never Came Back. I loved the way when you looked down you could see the sunbeams from above just going down into the blackness. Spooky stuff.

haha yes, had this in the pacific, its strange, probably not as deep as the blue hole but that instant fall away into a deep deep living dark depth. instantly profound, yes that whole thing of what lurks below, especially as you drop off and the creatures get weirder and weirder, you're not sure which of the fish swimming between your legs are poisonous, everything is 'dreamlike' slow moving, you just saw a pair of tiny sharks....

mms
26-07-2009, 11:51 AM
waking up in the middle of the night and the demon from ringu is sitting in the corner of the room. just sitting there.

Yes night hags :)
grey men, it probably is the demon from ringu you know.

The weirdest experiences i ever had, the most haunting was when i was a teenager.
It's one of a few around the time actually, kinda similar experiences.
Me and my friends used to sometimes play hide and seek at night in the tiwn centre, over a couple of streets, one night me and a friend hid in a dirty alley, just as we were in there, thinking there was no one or nothing about, a load of the dirt moved, and from under it came this figure of a girl, covered from head to toe in rags, hair clotted with flith and dirt, face black with much just eyes staring out, very pixy like, quite small, me and my friend just ran.
She was probably a little homeless girl, but how was she so filthy, so hidden how come no one had seen her during the day, she was like a swamp creature she was so filthy, it was weird, she wasn't exactly human either.
The other time was a figure that seemed to be human in the trees at the side of a graveyard, there were always strange rumours of a creature in this particular area, and again there was a creature that appeared to be part of the trees, slumped in a u shape between the boughs, we had smoked our fags near it often and we thought it was an effect of the trees, but then it moved independently of the tree once, again we ran.

Not sure what these experiences, were, maybe being shocked at how degraded human life could get, maybe something else as it doesn't seem to make sense, anyway the two events aren't connected by anything except some one living in circumstances which seem impossible for someone to live in, something uncanny, beyond explanation.

Mr. Tea
26-07-2009, 01:33 PM
That's a really harrowing account, mms. Where did you grow up, btw? The little girl just seems like the sort of creature you'd associated with Dickensian London, or modern-day Calcutta or Sao Paulo, somewhere like that.

Oh, and big up mistersloane's midwinter pagan near-death sea life encounter, that sounds INTENSE.

mms
26-07-2009, 02:11 PM
That's a really harrowing account, mms. Where did you grow up, btw? The little girl just seems like the sort of creature you'd associated with Dickensian London, or modern-day Calcutta or Sao Paulo, somewhere like that.

Oh, and big up mistersloane's midwinter pagan near-death sea life encounter, that sounds INTENSE.

cornwall, where there are fuck all homeless people, or at least anyone homeless is found usually given temporary housing etc, this would be exceptional, it was strange though, she alsmost appreared to be coming from under the ground, as there was no where for her to be lying, maybe she wasn't from this dimension, same with the tree guy, i mean we'd walked past that shape in the bough many times.

I've seen a ghost of a 18th century sailor walking from a graveyard towards the sea in falmouth on a road where misbehaving sailors were hung up along the coastline to starve to death, a few people i know claim to have seen big cats, maybe these things are demonic parts of your imagination, maybe ghosts are reflections of old gods, symbolic sacrifices etc.
Maybe Gods need consenssus for visibility.

Stephen King wrote a story about a kind of Pan character -near where i live now in finsbury park, this was based on rumours of sightings historically in the area.

'Panic' being the idea of seeing Pan in the woods, i need to do some research on it as it goes, as a road near me, one that leads from where i live to Crouch Hill, is called Ossian road, Ossian is a very old name for guess who? Pan or a pan-like demon figure, so i wonder how old that road is?

CHAOTROPIC
26-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm really afraid every time I come home to my (shared) house after I've been away for a few days. It really freaks me out ... every single time I do I expect my housemates to tell me that we've been evicted or that the police have been or something like that. That first contact with them before I know if everything is OK is a matter of genuine concern, every single fucking time. Even a weekend away can trigger it.

Oh, & the other thing that really scares me is waking up in the morning after a night of really serious drinking & not remembering anything. I'm always totally paranoid that I've either got into a punchup with a friend or killed someone or done something totally hideous that'll make everyone shun me. I sometimes go a whole day without checking my mobile phone in case someone's left a "this was the last straw" or "you're in so much fucking trouble" message ...

nochexxx
29-07-2009, 11:58 AM
thanks to that clown thread i'm now scared of that whole juggalo scene.

viktorvaughn
29-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm really afraid every time I come home to my (shared) house after I've been away for a few days. It really freaks me out ... every single time I do I expect my housemates to tell me that we've been evicted or that the police have been or something like that. That first contact with them before I know if everything is OK is a matter of genuine concern, every single fucking time. Even a weekend away can trigger it.

Oh, & the other thing that really scares me is waking up in the morning after a night of really serious drinking & not remembering anything. I'm always totally paranoid that I've either got into a punchup with a friend or killed someone or done something totally hideous that'll make everyone shun me. I sometimes go a whole day without checking my mobile phone in case someone's left a "this was the last straw" or "you're in so much fucking trouble" message ...

I always feel i will have been burgled, have left the tank on or have left the cooker on and started a fire, guess its quite a common (and sensible) anxiety...

zhao
29-07-2009, 04:05 PM
I always feel i will have been burgled, have left the tank on or have left the cooker on and started a fire, guess its quite a common (and sensible) anxiety...

yeah i always imagine masked men are waiting on the otherside with baseball bats when i come home at night...

great flipper story sloane... and mms ghost stories... ringu seriously destroyed me for months afterwards. because it is like all the creepy ghost stories i heard as a child in china. there is that special sensibility of east asian horror...

a radio said something to me once, it was turned off.

similarly my old dj setup in LA would once in a blue moon strangely pick up police radio. when everything is switched off. first time it happened was at night and i was in the other room alone so i did not know it was police radio, all i knew was there was a fucked up voice coming from the living room... a few weeks later my friend didn't believe me and as luck would have it, it happened right there when i was telling him about it.

Mr. Tea
29-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Something that shitted (shat?) me up good once was this time I was just walking along a fairly quiet street in central London and a car just started very slowly crawling down the street, level with me and keeping pace with me perfectly. I guess the driver was just looking out for a particular address or trying to see what the parking restrictions were, and I just happened to be there and to be walking at the same speed they were driving - but in films the only time this ever happens is when the pedestrian is about to be shot dead or bundled into the car and abducted.

The car eventually either stopped or sped up and zoomed off, I can't remember which, but I was very relieved when it was no longer cruising alongside me. It was very, I dunno, bad manners on the driver's part.

baronblatherskite
29-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Like everyone I have plenty of worries/anxieties, but the only thing that really puts the steel-cold sense of fear into me is this -

http://www.dailycognition.com/content/image/16/2150346800102347975S600x600Q85.jpg

The thought of my house sitting on top of an enormous cavern with only an eggshell thin bit of crust supporting it just totally gives me the shits :eek:

baronblatherskite
29-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Like everyone I have plenty of worries/anxieties, but the only thing that really puts the steel-cold sense of fear into me is this -

http://www.dailycognition.com/content/image/16/2150346800102347975S600x600Q85.jpg

The thought of my house sitting on top of an enormous cavern with only an eggshell thin bit of crust supporting it just totally gives me the shits :eek:

Ok can someone please explain to idiot here how to embed a picture.

zhao
31-07-2009, 12:14 PM
click the downward arrow icon and paste in image url...

Diggedy Derek
01-08-2009, 08:54 AM
The Ashes, mostly.

nomadthethird
03-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Oh, I've got one... looking at my bank balance online. I sometimes will find ways to avoid doing this for days and weeks. It fills me with dread.

baboon2004
03-08-2009, 01:54 AM
Something that shitted (shat?) me up good once was this time I was just walking along a fairly quiet street in central London and a car just started very slowly crawling down the street, level with me and keeping pace with me perfectly. I guess the driver was just looking out for a particular address or trying to see what the parking restrictions were, and I just happened to be there and to be walking at the same speed they were driving - but in films the only time this ever happens is when the pedestrian is about to be shot dead or bundled into the car and abducted.

The car eventually either stopped or sped up and zoomed off, I can't remember which, but I was very relieved when it was no longer cruising alongside me. It was very, I dunno, bad manners on the driver's part.

The power of the human mind in these situations to imagine the worst is incredible....just reminded me of a very similar thing I had happen to me on holiday in beirut. Having the words "Terry Waite" on repeat in one's mind at full volume is very unnerving.

luka
03-08-2009, 05:07 AM
some cunt always does that to me when im tripping for some reason. doesnt help the paranioia