Animal Collective @ the Astoria

tryptych

waiting for a time
Went to see this last night - they totally rocked, much better than the last time I saw them.

What really got me was the fact they can sell out a venue of that size (what is it 1500? 2000?), fill it full of young people (lots of girls too, not too many obvious beard stoking nerds - myself excepted), and have loads of people really into it, fists pumping the air, dancing, singing along with what is really fairly esoteric music. Amazing really. The crowd did thin a little by the end of the set, but still.

Anyone else think they sound like Disco Inferno at times? Me and a mate were commenting on this afterward, and how we couldn't think of any other bands that remind us of DI.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
I was there too and thought pretty much the same. They played mainly new stuff too - but it was the stuff from the last album that got the crowd really going...the new stuff also sounds great though, more electronic.

I dunno, but I reckon alot of the younger fans have come to them via (them being referenced along with) Arcade Fire

mms

sometimes
i was there too but i pretty much fell asleep, indulgent and not very effective i think, wasn't really feeling it

don_quixote

Trent End
grass gave me shivrrs and the last song before the encore was amazing (i never remember song titles, so awful with them)!! first show i've ever been to in london, astoria is an absolute maze! not sure why people were so confused about where to go at the end.

i really enjoyed battles as well. i'd not heard them before.

mms

sometimes
don_quixote said:
grass gave me shivrrs and the last song before the encore was amazing (i never remember song titles, so awful with them)!! first show i've ever been to in london, astoria is an absolute maze! not sure why people were so confused about where to go at the end.

i really enjoyed battles as well. i'd not heard them before.

grass was very good and some of the lectrics at the beginning were good, it just seemed rather unfoccused to me !

don_quixote

Trent End
i have to say there were times that i was thinking "hmmm what ARE they doing exactly?", but the highs were worth experiencing.