DJ Mag Top 50...

...most Influential Dance albums ever.

I didn't buy it, but had a quick browse in WHSmiths. Bloody Leftism at #1?! Am I the only person who thinks that album stinks? and where the fuck was 'Frequencies'? does anyone know a link to the full list, so we can discuss this properly?

my general feeling was that whoever assembled that list should be banned from publishing anything ever again, and should be publically flogged. i know its only dj mag, but y'know, peeps might actually start believing that shit.

hint

party record with a siren
Here's the list

DJ Mag's top 50 Most Influential Dance albums.... EVER! said:
1. Leftfield – Leftism
2. Daft Punk – Homework
3. Massive Attack – Blue Lines
4. The Chemical Brothers – Exit Planet Dust
5. Mylo – Destroy Rock And Roll
6. Portishead – Dummy
7. Primal Scream – Screamadelica
8. Orbital – Orbital 2/The Brown album
9. Underworld – Dubnobasswithmyheadman
10. The Streets – Original Pirate Material
11. Prodigy – Fat Of The Land
12. Goldie - Timeless
13. Basement Jaxx – Remedy
14. Ronie Size/Reprazent – New Forms
15. Robert Hood – Minimal Nation
16. Various – Renaissance – The Mix Collection Vol 1 (Sasha & John Digweed)
17. Fatboy Slim – You’ve Come A Long Way Baby
18. Eminem – The Slim Shady LP
19. Various – Artificial Intelligence ( Warp Records)
20. Plastikman - Sheet One
21. Various – Mixed Up In The Hague Vol 1
22. Global Communication – 76:14
23. Dr Dre – The Chronic
24. The KLF – The White Room
25. The Orb – The Orb’s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
26. Air – Moon Safari
27. Tricky – Maxinquaye
28. The Ragga Twins – Reggae Owes Me Money
29. Nightmares On Wax – Smokers Delight
30. DJ Shadow – Entroducing
31. David Holmes – Lets Get Killed
32. Coldcut – Journeys By DJ – 70 Minutes OF Madness
33. Mr Scruff – Keep It Unreal
34. Autechre – Incunabula
35. Various - Sunday Best
36. Moby – Play
37. Royksopp – Melody AM
38. Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang; 36 Chambers
39. Propellerheads – Decksanddrumsandrockandroll
40. So Solid Crew – They Don’t Know
41. Future Sound Of London - Accelerator
42. LTJ Bukem – Logical Progression Vol 1
43. Felix Da Housecat – Kittens & The Glitz
44. Pendulum – Hold Your Colour
45. Ms Dynamite – A Little Deeper
46. Faithless – Reverence
47. Dizzee Rascal Boy – Boy in Da Corner
48. Nuyorican Soul – Nuyorican Soul
49. The Avalanches – Since I Left You
50. Various – Bonkers Vol 1: Mixed by Hixxy & Sharkey

The first thing that jumps out... who exactly was influenced by Ms. Dynamite's album? They clearly thought - "hang on... not enough women in here!" and squeezed it in.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I like the hiphop selection. If you have to pick 2 hiphop records .... clearly Wu-Tang and Eminem are the MOST influential of all. ??????

Maybe this is supposed to indicate their influence on dance music?? I might be relatively happy with Wu-Tang, with or without this extra context. But Eminem?? Whatever man.

Another case of: had to add some hip hop, but really had no fucking idea. Somehow, in this day and age. bleh.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
That just seems to be a list of the albums most commonly bought by non-dance-music-listeners.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Bloody Leftism at #1?! Am I the only person who thinks that album stinks?
I wouldn't say it stinks, but it certainly is uneven. I wouldn't think many people really remember it anymore.

What I don't understand is how they can think that it' the most influential dance album of all time. If they claimed it was the best then all right, I suppose that's just their lame taste, but influential? That just doesn't make any sense. Who are supposed to be influenced by it? Or is it simply, that it's "influential" because a lot of people who couldn't handle the real thing bought it, and therefore was more influenced by it than by, say, Prodigys Experience (and where the hell is that, btw?).
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
my general feeling was that whoever assembled that list should be banned from publishing anything ever again, and should be publically flogged. i know its only dj mag, but y'know, peeps might actually start believing that shit.
Now I'm usually against any kind of violence or revenge, but really, having read the whole list, I'm with you Nick. Lets lynch the bastard.

Thanks for the list, Hint.

I've calmed down a bit now. You're right, Leftism doesn't 'stink' but I never understood what all the fuss was about. there's certainly nothing 'leftist' about it, more MOR bland-out. which i suppose is why so many ppl liked it?

i'm starting to understand that 'influencial' doesn't necessarily mean 'great', so perhaps some of these do deserve their placings. but it seems a bit shallow. fair play for including Autechre, but what about the first Mantronix album? there doesn't seem to be any kind of wider understanding or historical perspective. i mean, where the fuck are Kraftwerk..Computer World at very least?

and no Aphex Twin at all?! this i find totally astounding. i assumed that SAW 85-92 was a cornerstone of everything.

generally its like a list of all the albums that tried to 'normalise' or 'legitamise' dance music. i guess that's their legacy. perhaps that's how things really work, in the real world of consumer spending etc.

i should point out that there are some albums in here that i actually do rate. in fact i seem to have an awful lot of them. maybe its not so much a bad list, as the Wrong List, cos it points ppl in the wrong direction. genuinely surprised that Plasticman's 'Sheet One' made it in there.

hurumph...

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
hamarplazt said:
Now I'm usually against any kind of violence or revenge, but really, having read the whole list, I'm with you Nick. Lets lynch the bastard.

oh come on, its not that bad. any list that contains ragga twins, sheet one and autechre can't be total pants can it?

and anyway, what exactly does "dance music" mean anymore? besides, the whole concept of dance albums is an anomaly in my view. most of the great "albums" in dance have been mix cds surely?

leftism wouldn't be my choice for best album by a long chalk but people have short memories. it was massive in the nineties, no matter what anyone tries to claim now. there are some good tracks on it. if you played some of leftism alongside dmz to a pensioner in the street i bet they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

we all know mid-nineties dance music is deeply unfashionable, but i'm not into having a scorched earth revisionist view on music i once loved. i'm happy to admit that i played leftism alongside congo natty and all the other stuff that would no doubt be highly credible on a board like this, but who gives a fuck about credibility anyway? its for losers.

what i think would be interesting is for dissensus to do an alternative version of a poll like this, if we could agree on what dance music actually means, of course.

Last edited:

Kuma

The Konspirator
g'wan people, it's DJ mag, what else would you expect?
Some surprises and some crap...i

mms

sometimes
ive got 3 of those on formats i stilll listen to, a few others on cassette tape, which says alot really.
its a pretty awful list though.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
As ever the problem with a list like this is its ill-defined nature: Is this most influential in terms of music? Is it albums which influenced dance, or dance albums that influenced dance? Or Dance albums that influenced other forms of music? It also seems to miss the point in that surely the most influential "dance" documents are usually 12"? And yes, the lack of Kraftwerk, and all earlier electronica and electro means this is pretty useless...

Anyone see today's Observer review '50 albums that changed music'. basically the 50 most influencial albums ever.

its not a bad list. i mean, its fairly obvious but of course the albums need to be quite well known to have been influencial, right? right?!

anyway, just scraping in at #50 is LFO's "Frequencies". ("without this: no success for Orbital, Underworld, Leftfield...Chemical Bros..."), which, in itself renders the DJ mag list utterly fucking redundant in one fell swoop.

Last edited:

jaxxalude

I can't believe I actually have the patience to go through this. But here we go!

1. Leftfield – Leftism

Sold a lot of copies, "Open Up" and "Song Of Life", at least, are bonafide dance music classics (and please don't front on this), but influential?! Puh-leaze!!!

2. Daft Punk – Homework

No remarks here. Their influence is all over noughties dance music.

3. Massive Attack – Blue Lines

No remarks here too. Influential on a general basis, not just dance.

4. The Chemical Brothers – Exit Planet Dust

Ditto.

5. Mylo – Destroy Rock And Roll

Well, his style is definitely cropping up in a lot of dance music recently made. But isn't it too early to claim this is an influential album?

6. Portishead – Dummy

See Massive Attack.

7. Primal Scream – Screamadelica

Any dance/rock collision made since has its mark.

8. Orbital – Orbital 2/The Brown album

Great album, yeah, but I'm left scratching my head about its influence...

9. Underworld – Dubnobasswithmyheadman

See Orbital

10. The Streets – Original Pirate Material

No remarks here.

11. Prodigy – Fat Of The Land

I can see Fat Of The The Land's influence on many a dodgy nü-metal/industrial rock bands, alright. On dance music? No.

12. Goldie - Timeless

Where would Hospital Records and their ilk be without this?

13. Basement Jaxx – Remedy

No remarks here.

14. Ronie Size/Reprazent – New Forms

A classic, yeah, but influential? Not really.

15. Robert Hood – Minimal Nation

"Minimal". It says it all.

16. Various – Renaissance – The Mix Collection Vol 1 (Sasha & John Digweed)

The only question here is how such dullness could be so influential!

17. Fatboy Slim – You’ve Come A Long Way Baby

Better Living Through Chemistry, anyone?

18. Eminem – The Slim Shady LP

As I said, a classic album is not, by any means, an influential one.

19. Various – Artificial Intelligence (Warp Records)

No remarks here.

20. Plastikman - Sheet One

See Robert Hood.

21. Various – Mixed Up In The Hague Vol 1

No remarks here.

22. Global Communication – 76:14

Classic, but not that influential.

23. Dr Dre – The Chronic

No remarks here.

24. The KLF – The White Room

Chill Out, anyone?

25. The Orb – The Orb’s Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld

No remarks here.

26. Air – Moon Safari

No remarks here.

27. Tricky – Maxinquaye

Anticon, Mush, Definitive Jux, where would you be without this?

28. The Ragga Twins – Reggae Owes Me Money

By far, the most unexpected appearance here. But anywhere where there's a party and an MC, just reach back to this.

29. Nightmares On Wax – Smokers Delight

And many a dodgy chill-out comp's delight, too.

30. DJ Shadow – Entroducing

No remarks here.

31. David Holmes – Lets Get Killed

Erm, I think the "soundtrack to a non-existent film" thing was already an acquired taste by the time this one showed up.

32. Coldcut – Journeys By DJ – 70 Minutes OF Madness

Preceded the mash-up craze by five years, at least.

33. Mr Scruff – Keep It Unreal

It may have some leftfield classics in it, but I don't know about its real influence, really.

34. Autechre – Incunabula

No remarks here.

35. Various - Sunday Best

The daddy of all freeform/chill-out comps. It's just a shame it became the foundation for both the good ones and the dodgy ones.

36. Moby – Play

See above.

37. Royksopp – Melody AM

See both above.

38. Wu-Tang Clan – Enter The Wu-Tang; 36 Chambers

No remarks here.

39. Propellerheads – Decksanddrumsandrockandroll

Influential? Where, really?

40. So Solid Crew – They Don’t Know

Dizzee, Mike and all of you, stand up and pay respect!

41. Future Sound Of London - Accelerator

See Global Communication.

42. LTJ Bukem – Logical Progression Vol 1

See Goldie.

43. Felix Da Housecat – Kittens & The Glitz

No remarks here.

44. Pendulum – Hold Your Colour

See Mylo.

45. Ms Dynamite – A Little Deeper

LOL!

46. Faithless – Reverence

See the Sasha/Diggers entry.

47. Dizzee Rascal Boy – Boy in Da Corner

No remarks here.

48. Nuyorican Soul – Nuyorican Soul

A classic, but not influential.

49. The Avalanches – Since I Left You

Classic, but I'm still yet to see its influence.

50. Various – Bonkers Vol 1: Mixed by Hixxy & Sharkey

Oh well, I guess hard dance, hardstyle and scouse wouldn't exist without this.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
bassnation said:
oh come on, its not that bad. any list that contains ragga twins, sheet one and autechre can't be total pants can it?

Don't worry, I wasn't really going to kill him. Yeah, there's a few pleasant surprises here and there, but a lot of it is just crossover-albums for people not really into this music in the first place - stuff that certainly was "massive" when it came out, but didn't have much relevance in the long run. Yes, Leftism was huge and hyped when it came out. I bought it too. But who did it influence? What developments did it initiate? It synthesized a lot of stuff going on in the rave scene, put some awful poetry on top of it to make it more "deep", but it didn't really come up with anything new or lasting.

There's two tricky things about this list. The one is that it's about "influential" albums, not necessarily good ones. The second is that it's about albums, because these scenes are allmost allways evolving through tracks. This means that a lot of the most influential albums will probably be genre-defining compilations (or maybe mix-cds, but I can't really think of any obvious ones here). Therefore, a list of the 50 most influential dance albums would have to include: Techno! The New Dance Sound of Detroit (I hate the detroit puritanism and false myth this one initiated, but I have to give it credit for actually doing so - bloody influential, yes), No U Turns Torque (again a "bad influence" I guess, but there's no denying that it changed the face of drum'n'bass drastically), Thunderdome III (all the early Thunderdome-compilations were incredibly massive in the development of gabber, but this one is probably the most important), Dragonfly Order Odonata (the goa trance-compilation that started it all), Tresor II - a techno alliance (a lot of good stuff on this actually, but like Torque, it's legacy was an eternity of boring minimalism. Come to think of it, maybe Tresor III was even more influential in this way).

You have a very good point about the whole concept of "dance music". I've allways thought that it's a completely ridiculous name for something as diverse as what we're talking about here. And it seems to reinforce the equally ridiculous split between dance music and listening music. Not that the list here accept that split anyway, including things like Autechre and DJ Shadow as it does. I'd have no problem with it if it was all just called techno, or electronica, but the problem is that for a lot of people this is allready specifically defined genres. I have no better suggestions, though.

Anyway, it seems that what the list is basically about is post-acid house electronic dance music. There's no older stuff, as Nick noticed (and therefore no Kraftwerk, the OBVIOUS no.1). But even within that frame, it's a pretty poor list. OK, as it's about influence rather than greatness, I'll accept that maybe there's actually some reasonable choices. Approximately 20 of the albums have probably been as influential as to be worth considering, I think, even if I not sure all of them would make it in the end.

bassnation said:
we all know mid-nineties dance music is deeply unfashionable, but i'm not into having a scorched earth revisionist view on music i once loved. i'm happy to admit that i played leftism alongside congo natty and all the other stuff that would no doubt be highly credible on a board like this, but who gives a fuck about credibility anyway? its for losers.
Indeed. Who is Congo Natty?

bassnation said:
what i think would be interesting is for dissensus to do an alternative version of a poll like this
Well, for a start, here's some that I think ought to be there:

808 State: Newvbuild There'd have to be an acid house compilation somewhere too, of course, but for single artist albums, this one most likely had the longest lasting influence, longer than later, more succesful 808 State-albums.

Hardfloor: TB Resuscitation A cornerstone of trance as well as the rebirth of acid in the nineties.

Frankfurt Trax vol.II Not really a compilation, as almost everything is made by Marc Acardipane. This one pretty much contain the entire doomcore/cold rush/phuture techno-genepool.

Depth Charge: Nine Deadly Venoms Proto big beat far ahead of its time.

The Prodigy: Experience I don't know how influential this one was as an album, actually. Not as much as it should have been, that's for sure. But it did contain a whole heap of outstanding, highly influential singles.

4 Hero: In Rough Territory Not really sure about this one, as I'm uncertain how many actually heard it. Still, musically, it's the obvious link between bleep'n'bass and jungle.

A Guy Called Gerald: 28 Gun Bad Boy I've only heard parts of this, I must admit. When is the rerelease coming out? Woebot?

Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works 85-92 Self evident. His Classics collection should probably be included as well.

Drax: Ltd. II The ultimaten hard trance record. Not sure if it count as an album, though.

LFO: Frequencies Influential simply by being so great an album, by showing how it can be done.

Jeff Mills: Waveform Transmission vol.1 I think this is very uneven and rather dull (vol.3 is much better), but I guess there's no way around it. The minimal milestone, and much more so than Hoods Minimal Nation or Plastikmans Sheet One. (If there's to be a Plastikman-album on the list, it'll have to be Consumed).

Autechre: Chiastic Slide I'm sure a lot of people prefer the earlier, more emotianal stuff, but this one is the real genre-defining one.

Oval: Systemisch 94 Diskont could be just as worthy I guess. Not a hint of "dance" here, but the glitch concept is still big in a lot of dance music even today.

Boards of Canada: Music has the Right to Children I've never really managed to love BoC, but they're obviously among the most influential electronica artists of the last eight years. Together with Autechre and Oval they made the blueprint for countless glitchy laptop IDM-producers.

Speed Freak: Destruction by Speed The gabber equivalent of LFOs Frequencies.

Nasenbluten: 100% No Soul Guaranteed This one changed the face of hardcore techno in ways that are still being felt today. The impact it had on the scene back then was simply amazing.

Hellfish and Producer: Constant Mutation Simultaneously the Daft Punk and Timbaland of gabber.

Panacea: Low Profile Darkness The breakcore blueprint.

Squarepusher: Feed Me Weird Things Like it or not.

Mouse on Mars: Niun Niggung A milestone of both idyllitronica and post-techno indietronica.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
hamarplazt said:
Don't worry, I wasn't really going to kill him. Yeah, there's a few pleasant surprises here and there, but a lot of it is just crossover-albums for people not really into this music in the first place - stuff that certainly was "massive" when it came out, but didn't have much relevance in the long run. Yes, Leftism was huge and hyped when it came out. I bought it too. But who did it influence? What developments did it initiate? It synthesized a lot of stuff going on in the rave scene, put some awful poetry on top of it to make it more "deep", but it didn't really come up with anything new or lasting.

well, what a lot of people forget about leftfield is sheer amount of time they've been going. it would be far easier to make a case for them being an influential band rather than just looking at the album. i agree that these things are more about tracks. remember they were part of the early prog house movement (fabio paras, guerrilla records, crossover with the NY sound etc). in my mind, this era had a massive influence on house music at least.

you could argue that it ushered in the era of trance, and all kinds of other abominations such as robert miles "children", but nonetheless, they WERE influential. like i say though, leftism came out literally years after all of that so maybe the point is redundant.

808 State: Newvbuild There'd have to be an acid house compilation somewhere too, of course, but for single artist albums, this one most likely had the longest lasting influence, longer than later, more succesful 808 State-albums.

this is a wicked list, i'm going to respond to yours and have a crack at my own version when i can find a minute away from work.

swears

preppy-kei
I'm glad Homework's up there. Fun and classy at the same time.
Didn't loads of "underground" techno and house heads slag them off when they first started out?

Da Funk was genius though, 108bpm!

bassnation

the abyss
swears said:
I'm glad Homework's up there. Fun and classy at the same time.
Didn't loads of "underground" techno and house heads slag them off when they first started out?

Da Funk was genius though, 108bpm!

nah, people always loved them no matter what the dancefloor. i remember hearing joey beltram drop rollin' and scratching - sounded like a nuclear bomb going off. later albums were a bit crap though.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
It's got the first Bonkers mix by Hixxy & Sharky at number 50, so as far as I am concerned, this is a good list. I love that CD.

swears

preppy-kei
bassnation said:
nah, people always loved them no matter what the dancefloor. i remember hearing joey beltram drop rollin' and scratching - sounded like a nuclear bomb going off. later albums were a bit crap though.

No way! I loved the way Discovery pissed off all my mates. The interesting thing about that album was the way everybody assumed it was a joke, but I really think there was a lot of feeling in those tunes. If most dance producers were making a "rock" sounding track they'd try too hard to make it sound "real" and end us sounding corny (Apollo 440, Timo Mass) whereas Daft Punk were totally revelling in these artificial, synthetic hair metal sounds.
Human After All should have been an EP though.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Lists are bollocks. I'll expand that thought in a few more specific directions.

As gek says, influencing who? And in what way? To suggest that dance producers are influenced by albums made by other dance producers is insane. Ideas in dance music do not circulate in that way. A list of 50 influencial machines, breaks, sounds, riffs or moods would be a good addition to any debate on dance music. Possibly I could have a crack at the clubs, tracks & individuals that have had most influence in the scenes I follow or have followed. But albums? There arent any good dance music albums (as opposed to albums influenced by dance music). Well OK I can think of a few but they are only a few, and with the exception of SAW 1 universally too obscure to make it into this list. Sheet 1 & frequencies I enjoyed in my yout' but havent heard them in ages, so I suspend judgement - but I suspect my love for them then was more down to wanting a rave substitute, however inadequate, at an age where I wasnt able to rave on a regular basis.

The only way that albums influence dance music producers (and here we see the outlines of DJ mag's underlying position emerge) is commercially - producers see albums doing well in the mass market, and consciously tool their sound to fit that format. Leftism being a case in point. I dont mind leftism as a record & I dont blame dance producers one iota for wanting adequate renumeration for their time & energy - but the effects of this 'influence' are almost always destructive. New Forms was pretty much the funeral for jungle/d&b as an innovative & vital musical style, but I wont get started on the Dead Hand of Peterson or I'll be here all day.

It baffles me why people are still hung up on albums. It was a musical form that emerged in the mid 60s and dominated for the next 2 decades; but having taken a series of progressively more severe batterings from MTV, cheap studio equipment & rave culture it has been utterly destroyed by digital music sharing. No one under 25 gives a flying fuck about albums now - the idea that music should come in discrete chunks of 40-70 minutes is archaic.

I compiled a list of my favorite 20 albums for a friend recently and the vast majority of them were from the late 60's & 70s - not because I'm a retro-hipster, but because that was the period when the album was a new & vital form. The only exceptions were SAW 1, which is really a compilation of unrelated tracks, and a gillian welsh album which happened to have been made in 1998 but could really have come out any time in the 20th century.

The only reason for producing music in album form today is the commercial imperitive to satisfy a slowly ageing mass market - aesthetically, it makes as much sense to work within the album form as that of a sonata or an eightsome reel. People enjoyed music for a long time before albums came along, and as digital technology becomes more entreched & adaptable new & exiting forms will emerge to lead us to places we can't even imagine yet.

The only thing more decrepit that albums are monthly music magazines, so at least DJ are in good company.