Glauber Rocha

F

foret

the brazilian 'cinema novo' director that is

i just saw his 'black god, white devil', which was excellent - very thick allegorical elements a la 'andrei rublev' with the 60s third worldist feel of 'the battle of algiers', long takes from jancso interspersed with eisensteinian montage sequences and closeups like sergio leone

some of the cinematography was fantastic, very high contrast with blinding white light, desolate landscapes and so forth

i'd love to see some of his other films now, which are seemingly fairly obscure, is anyone else a fan?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Heard the name and am interested in checking out. Most of his films have played the cinemateque here.

geiom

just watched Glauber's last film 'A Idade da Terra' - very strange but amazing film. The basic idea seems to be the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse and the 4 gospel writers discovering a 3rd world christ. Its in 16 parts that you are encouraged to watch in a random order!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Only just saw this thread - I've got that Black God, White Devil thing and started watching it but got interrupted, must finish it off some times 'cause it looks pretty cool. A few of his films have been released on dvd over the last year or so and I think that they may be slightly less hard going. Not sure what I'm basing that on though.
That one you mention sounds ace Geiom - never heard of it before.