The Lemonheads

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ok, it's not the kind of music usually posted about here, but I went to the Lemonheads gig at Somerset House last night and was yet again blown away by the standard of Evan Dando's songwriting. Surely they deserve more than a footnote in the annals of pop?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
baboon2004 said:
Surely they deserve more than a footnote in the annals of pop?

many, many bands are more deserving, but certainly 'hate your friends' and 'lick' were fine albums- i could still quote lyrics verbatum, even though i've not listened to them for years. they went really shit - as in unlistenable- after 'lick' and never really cut it live in comparison to their contemporaries in the late eighties/ early nineties

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
matt b said:
many, many bands are more deserving, but certainly 'hate your friends' and 'lick' were fine albums- i could still quote lyrics verbatum, even though i've not listened to them for years. they went really shit - as in unlistenable- after 'lick' and never really cut it live in comparison to their contemporaries in the late eighties/ early nineties

Completely disagree, but that's part of the fun. Well, don't completely disagree, as I love the early stuff too. But, seeing them live the other night, songs such as 'Rudderless', 'Down About It' and 'If I could Talk I'd Tell You' were almost obscenely gorgeous.

Out of interest, which of their contemporaries do you rate more highly?

I always thought they were quite a tight band live.

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:

wasn't the drop off to do with him going off on a massive drug bender that lasted a year in the uk with the likes of oasis?

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
wasn't the drop off to do with him going off on a massive drug bender that lasted a year in the uk with the likes of oasis?

that was just the icing on the cake - becoming infatuated with gram parsons and going 'country-rock' (and maybe ben deily leaving) was the start. imho, like.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bassnation said:

Well, I don't see 'Shame About Ray' as dropping off, but yeah, think he was no stranger to a crack pipe for a while.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I think 'Shame about Ray' was one of the best albums of the 90s. A genuine 'corker'(except for the crappy 'Mrs Robinson' cover), thats prolly dated better than most albums released the same year.

oh and 'Alison's starting to happen' is about a friend of his on E, innaresting for a non- techno song!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Ah, never knew that! 'If I Could Talk I'd Tell You' is apparently about a time he was on the phone to a journalist but could barely speak due to crack consumption.

bassnation

the abyss
baboon2004 said:
Ah, never knew that! 'If I Could Talk I'd Tell You' is apparently about a time he was on the phone to a journalist but could barely speak due to crack consumption.

apparrently "i'm going to get on without you now" is about getting down to his last rock of crack, and philosophically considering the inevitable crash.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
And apparently 'In My Spoon' is all about...wait...I think I'm starting to see a pattern...

I almost loved the Lemonheads circa Lick and Lovey, mainly due to their being the then All Time Favorite Band of a particular girl. Lost interest soon after that but still have a soft spot for one or two other tunes. The only real objections I can see are the occasional tweeness of the lyrical content and Evan Dando's bad heavy metal guitar solos. Listening to the Lemonheads now reminds me of being a teenager and hanging out with girls who liked to get high and stay out late...which isn't really such a bad thing.

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
bassnation said:
apparrently "i'm going to get on without you now" is about getting down to his last rock of crack, and philosophically considering the inevitable crash.

Ah, I see what you're doing here now.

Took a few seconds...