glade festival

S

simon silverdollar

just wondered if any dissensians were in attendence?
i was, and it was pretty brilliant. sancho panza stage was easily the best thing there, but then three days of blissy house is my idea of heaven.
aside from that, kevin saunderson played a blinder of a set of melodic detroit techno, and vitalic tore the place apart, but there wasn't much else that was good. loads of pretty nasty psy trance.

but still, i'd highly recommend going for sancho panza alone.

bunnnnnn

there was some fun stuff on the overkill stage, mostly of a splatterbreaks / acid persuasion. luke vibert played a storming ragga-jungle set and bong ra was much more exciting than when i'd seen him before - more on the doomcore/gabber tip. can only take so much of that breakcore nonsense though.

yeah, there was a serious glut of psytrance and hippy-dippy twaddle but i found it easy enough to give it a wide berth. seemed to be a pretty good vibe at the festival overall, dayglo facepaint and angel wings notwithstanding

D

dubversion

simon silverdollar said:
i was, and it was pretty brilliant. sancho panza stage was easily the best thing there, but then three days of blissy house is my idea of heaven.
QUOTE]

I had a fantastic time at the Glade - one of the best weekends I've had in 20 years of festival going. But i did this by making sure I never went anywhere NEAR Sancho Panza. Sounded horrible from a distance.. The Overkill tent was absolute brilliant, the Saturday night Bangface bill just blew me away. Blog and pictures here

Quite a few big name disappointments though - Mad Professor was lacklustre, Coldcut just dry, joyless, dull

I thought Ceephax was the best thing, pure entertainment.
Bangface have the right attitude even if you don't like all the music they put on.

Didn't hear much good music but it made me happy to see the trance kids and all the eternal festival-going types, glad they still exist alongside the world of advanced capitalism.

Although I have a sneaking suspicion they can only afford to drop out cos daddy has lots of money from the agro-chemicals business or selling landmines or whatever...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
simon silverdollar said:
aside from that, kevin saunderson played a blinder of a set of melodic detroit techno, and vitalic tore the place apart, but there wasn't much else that was good. loads of pretty nasty psy trance.

but still, i'd highly recommend going for sancho panza alone.

Didn't even see this beforehand - must've skipped over it in the festival lists.

Yeah, isn't Kevin Saunderson brilliant. Seen him once and was bowled over by the fact that he hasn't forgotten what made Detroit techno and Inner City great in the first place. Top man.

Vitalic live? Fuck, getting goosepimples just thinking about it. Missed him so far, but thinking about going to the Get Loaded in the Park at the odious Clapham Coomon. Do you think it's worth it just for Vitalic, Green Velvet (what a legend) and Tiga? Mind you, there's also Lethal Bizzle and the Pipettes, so maybe I've just answered my own question.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
dubversion said:
I had a fantastic time at the Glade - one of the best weekends I've had in 20 years of festival going. But i did this by making sure I never went anywhere NEAR Sancho Panza. Sounded horrible from a distance.. The Overkill tent was absolute brilliant, the Saturday night Bangface bill just blew me away. Blog and pictures hereQuite a few big name disappointments though - Mad Professor was lacklustre, Coldcut just dry, joyless, dull

interesting blog dub, i know i didn't go but your description/pics made me feel like i did, sancho panza?, well just remember without the 'love of house' there would be no party, i agree entirely about those psy-trancers, i even met a guy last friday apologising for his slightly psy earing. ID spiral aren't all bad mind. I saw them doing a video lounge a few years ago at a festy, most hilarious selection of vids, the whole audience was sitting down screaming at 4am on a balmy night in august, down there deep somerzet.

Last edited:

Lichen

Edward said:
Although I have a sneaking suspicion they can only afford to drop out cos daddy has lots of money from the agro-chemicals business or selling landmines or whatever...

may i be the first to confirm your suspiscions: psy-trancers=sloane ravers. Awful.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Err yeah... the only kids I knew who were into psy-trance were the sons/daughters of major diplomats... they were also utter cunts, but that goes with the territory...

swears

preppy-kei
Norma Snockers said:
All Trustafarians.

Dunno, lotta working class scousers like it. Know a fella at work who DJs it now and again.
(But yeah, it's cheeseball to the extreme.)

Anyway...Glade.
I've never been to a festival before, even though a lot of my mates go to Leeds every year, I've never fancied it. Not really into much rock/indie at all...But the idea of a non-cheesy dance music festival sounds sort of alright.
How festivally is it? I'm not too much into camping or getting dirty or throwing bottles of piss around.

I'd love to go to sonar one year, the line ups are always ace, I'd have to stay in a hotel, though.

S

simon silverdollar

swears said:
How festivally is it? I'm not too much into camping or getting dirty or throwing bottles of piss around.

I.

it's not very similar to other festivals- there's hardly any pissed, lairy people, and there's none of that bollocks of standing around in a huge field watching an act half a mile away.

it's also pretty clean, cuz all them psy trance people are well into the environment, to a mystical degree...