Does 'pop' music date?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I reckon not. I mean people bagged 80s pop and now it's referred to as cutting edge.

and commercial music may - like Michael Boltin or Billy joel or Elton John, but then so does 'underground' music, like some of the ardkore stuff, and early techno and even 80s guitar bands with their crunchy guitars and gated drum sounds...

But I reckon generally pop music doesn't date.

gumdrops

pop songwriting doesnt seem to date. well, kinda - a lot of shirrelles songs sound dated, or very much of their time melodically, but theyre still great songs that i dont think can be denied (but then i like old girl groups)

swears

preppy-kei
Buick6 said:
I reckon not. I mean people bagged 80s pop and now it's referred to as cutting edge.

and commercial music may - like Michael Boltin or Billy joel or Elton John, but then so does 'underground' music, like some of the ardkore stuff, and early techno and even 80s guitar bands with their crunchy guitars and gated drum sounds...

But I reckon generally pop music doesn't date.

Nothing is really thought of as "dated" anymore, because nostalgia has become such a huge part of pop culture now. Say, in the mid-nineties (probably before, but this is when it seemed to really kick in) you had stuff that was considered "classic" and stuff that was considered dated. Now almost any old crap is thought of as classic.

henry s

Street Fighting Man
pop music (at least the big hits) defies aging/dating because, by virtue its ubiquity (ads, movies, radio, etc.) it transcends the "song" and becomes part of the cultural context...when I hear "Good Vibrations", I don't hear the vocal harmonies, the innovative use of theremin or whatever so much as I think of orange juice...same with "Rescue Me" and Pizza Hut...I've been had...

D7_bohs

henry s said:
pop music (at least the big hits) defies aging/dating because, by virtue its ubiquity (ads, movies, radio, etc.) it transcends the "song" and becomes part of the cultural context...when I hear "Good Vibrations", I don't hear the vocal harmonies, the innovative use of theremin or whatever so much as I think of orange juice...same with "Rescue Me" and Pizza Hut...I've been had...

..... not so much that it 'dates' then; rather that it'll sleep with anyone

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I think both songwriting (ie chord patterns, melodies, harmonies, lyrics) and sonics (ie production, arrangements, and the timbres of certain instrumentation) date to a horrific extent. Or perhaps not horrific, but certainly identifiably. It depends on what you mean by "date"--- obviously pop music can be identified to within a given 2-3 period by its characteristics, but presumably what you are referring to is a kind of "going past its sell-by date" effect... I guess its all about context really... once music is shorn of its time-specific context it is changed, certainly... you can go back and place it intellectually in its context, but its never quite the same. Move too far and previously important facets (sonic shocks or innovations) are impossible to experience in the same manner. Endless Mojo reviews referring to a "titanic beat" or something on an old 60s pop record which when listened to with 00s ears sounds little better than a gnat tapping an empty crisp packet...

What's interesting about the re-claimed 80s sonics is that they are actually quite far from the originals when you examine them closely, partly due to technological factors (beefed up production aesthetics) but also because now they are being deployed as a reference...
This is especially acute in modern indie appropriations of postpunk textures... none of them capture the feel right of Joy Division say (despite that bands alleged pervasive influence)-- that Ballardian flesh-crawling feel, the way they made "hot" instrumentation feel so deadeningly cold...

So presumably will souped up versions of early 90s sonic tropes be just around the corner...? Is it that the retro wheel spins to points of previous modernist impulse, as if to re-invigorate our own lean times? And therefore what happens when we hit the 00s?

swears

preppy-kei
gek-opel said:
So presumably will souped up versions of early 90s sonic tropes be just around the corner...? Is it that the retro wheel spins to points of previous modernist impulse, as if to re-invigorate our own lean times? And therefore what happens when we hit the 00s?

But a lot of the mainstream 90's stuff was retro anyway. I mean how would you bring back something like big beat or britpop?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
True, but each did certain things with the retro-textures which are clearly identifiable as distinct, therefore potential for future retro-fetishistic investigation I would suspect. For example look at glam rock: In the 70s it was in part a post 60s re-examination of mid 50s rock tropes... and yet it is readily exploited as a separate entity by modern musicians. It may be that at the time all you can hear is the past, but afterwards the original elements become clearer... tho what exactly could be taken from the 00s disinterments of the 80s I don't know...

boomnoise

♫
swears said:
But a lot of the mainstream 90's stuff was retro anyway. I mean how would you bring back something like big beat or britpop?

brit pop tribute bands exist. i very nearly formed an ironic one.

marke

Tumbling Dice
"brit pop tribute bands exist. i very nearly formed an ironic one."

umm .. aint that what the dreadful kooks et al are all doing anyway - but without the irony.

swears

preppy-kei
marke said:
"brit pop tribute bands exist. i very nearly formed an ironic one."

umm .. aint that what the dreadful kooks et al are all doing anyway - but without the irony.

Yeah, The Kooks are awwww-ful. They sound like an even worse, less rawkin' version of Reef.
The singer did this interview were he was saying "Yeah man, yeah man, people are sick of all this shallow, celeb culture stuff, and we're like...really real and the antidote to all that, man."
Um...didn't he used to go out with Fern Cotton?

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I hate The Kooks so much I have to pretend they don't exist or else I'll burst blood vessel in my forehead (like my Economics teacher did once after one wind up too many...) Everything about them is loathsome, from the back story, to the chords, the lyrics, the main guy, everything they say... words cannot bloody express how dire this band are. I don't get the reef comparison tho, the Kooks seem more light, more love lorn. if anything they are much much WORSE than Reef...

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I think essentially it's all about the 'song'. Songs don't date unless they're terrible, it's probably traced back to pagan, spiritual ritual from psalms, hymns, all thorugh to 'anthems' and the the like. I guess one of the big denials with popular music criticism is the link with spirituality, if not flat out religion and music/popular song. Though the double irony is HOW BAD OVERTLY RELIGIOUS rock/pop is ie: Christian 'rock', Mattithias, even all that tacky Bagra stuff, Ofra Haza etc..but then we're getting into World Music, and then reggae...leading almost to the basic Dissensus sonic cannon techno, dub, twostep, 3 step, post-step, foot-step grime, grum, glum, gloop etc.. etc...

The interesting this is that alot of 'dance' music dates because there is no 'song' - it's all based on the technological 'sonic' trends of the time, made even more doubly ironic by the fact that when dance music was big, English fans always went on about 'choons' ie TUNES, the need for a song was still there, despite the delivery of the format.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Buick6 said:

Maybe people are going back to the production techniques, but there's something about those synth pop chord sequences that instantly dates anything in which they're found - no one's really exhuming those.

tatarsky

Buick6 said:
I think essentially it's all about the 'song'. Songs don't date unless they're terrible, it's probably traced back to pagan, spiritual ritual from psalms, hymns, all thorugh to 'anthems' and the the like. I guess one of the big denials with popular music criticism is the link with spirituality, if not flat out religion and music/popular song. Though the double irony is HOW BAD OVERTLY RELIGIOUS rock/pop is ie: Christian 'rock', Mattithias, even all that tacky Bagra stuff, Ofra Haza etc..but then we're getting into World Music, and then reggae...leading almost to the basic Dissensus sonic cannon techno, dub, twostep, 3 step, post-step, foot-step grime, grum, glum, gloop etc.. etc...

The interesting this is that alot of 'dance' music dates because there is no 'song' - it's all based on the technological 'sonic' trends of the time, made even more doubly ironic by the fact that when dance music was big, English fans always went on about 'choons' ie TUNES, the need for a song was still there, despite the delivery of the format.

I totally disagree with this.

For a kick off, it supposes the existence of some predetermined configuration of music which makes for inherently 'good songs'. The evidence stacks to the contrary though. Take for example, The Beach Boys, in particular Pet Sounds. Undoubtedly, 'Good Songs', and respected for the steps forward they made (pop song with force of orchestra, etc.), but were the same songs to be replicated today, they would not be anything like as well regarded.

Inherent in any seasoned listener will be an ability to effectively carbon-date whatever they are hearing, so that we can sit back and enjoy Pet Sounds and its innovations, recognising it as the Event that it was. The same goes for sonic (Eno, say) and rhythmical (eg Can) innovations.

I do think there is such a thing as a 'good song', but its parameters are defined by its era. A piece of music with a good song in it can be enjoyed for what it is, and concerns about innovations in other aspects (sonics, textures, rhythms, etc.) can be put to oneside, but what determines whether a song is any good or not is bound to the fashions of the times. In fact, beyond that, a good song will be an innovation in itself, in that it will take the parameters of the current fashions and push them in a particular direction, recontextualising the very definition of our mythical 'good song'.

Which ties in precisely to Ned's comment.

Secondly, this interpretation of music ranks one single aspect of music above all others, declaring it 'spiritual' and 'religious', and therefore better. This is ludicrous, particularly when you remember that RHYTHM quite obviously predates the song, and could be said to equally 'spiritual', if not more so.

Music is a dynamic process. Therefore music dates.

soundslike1981

tatarsky said:
I totally disagree with this.

For a kick off, it supposes the existence of some predetermined configuration of music which makes for inherently 'good songs'. The evidence stacks to the contrary though. Take for example, The Beach Boys, in particular Pet Sounds. Undoubtedly, 'Good Songs', and respected for the steps forward they made (pop song with force of orchestra, etc.), but were the same songs to be replicated today, they would not be anything like as well regarded.

Inherent in any seasoned listener will be an ability to effectively carbon-date whatever they are hearing, so that we can sit back and enjoy Pet Sounds and its innovations, recognising it as the Event that it was. The same goes for sonic (Eno, say) and rhythmical (eg Can) innovations.

I do think there is such a thing as a 'good song', but its parameters are defined by its era. A piece of music with a good song in it can be enjoyed for what it is, and concerns about innovations in other aspects (sonics, textures, rhythms, etc.) can be put to oneside, but what determines whether a song is any good or not is bound to the fashions of the times. In fact, beyond that, a good song will be an innovation in itself, in that it will take the parameters of the current fashions and push them in a particular direction, recontextualising the very definition of our mythical 'good song'.

Which ties in precisely to Ned's comment.

Secondly, this interpretation of music ranks one single aspect of music above all others, declaring it 'spiritual' and 'religious', and therefore better. This is ludicrous, particularly when you remember that RHYTHM quite obviously predates the song, and could be said to equally 'spiritual', if not more so.

Music is a dynamic process. Therefore music dates.

This would suggest that any response to music "out of its time" could only be based in a) some sort of historical interest in the song-as-artefact; b) whatever qualities it contributed to the "progress" of (popular) music; or in c) nostalgia, that most-despised bane of modernism. I'll concede that those can be points of interest when listening to a recording. However, if they are the only points, then almost no one would listen to "old" music (which most people who listen to pop music at all do, outside of that burst of intense need to be in "the now" between ages 14-22 or so through which many people seem to go). Certainly in my own case, even as a person who admittedly does plenty of "thinking" about music/context, there is still a gut-punch to any music that really means anything to me, be it "old" or "new".

To admit my biases, I'm highly sceptical of anything the appeal of which depends to any great extent on "newness," as that quality is obviously innately unsustainable; and the art (whether music or architecture) is likely to depreciate (and in the case of architecture, dissentigrate) rather quickly. As one who was the better part of a decade away from being born when Can released 'Ege Bamyasi,' how is it that I judge (more importantly feel) it to be good despite my total dislocation from "the time" (and certainly from its fashions)? My impetus for spending a year putting together a 500+ track box set of "out-of-time" music was not historical, nor was it nostalgic (I was barely there in 1981), nor was it revivalist. I just thought the music sounds really good and I was tired of revivalists name-checking a tired few. I think most people, especially those as young as me, who heard the box set heard it on its own terms, felt the "gut-punch" of a lot of the music.

Pop music, and especially its sub-fields of electronic/sample/techno-oriented sounds, do rely to some degree on technology. And technology has arguably done nothing but "improve," as refinement is innate to its purpose. But surely even techno/dance music isn't simply a product of the available technology? Do I enjoy Raymond Scott or Giorgio Moroder out of some tech-geek appreciation of the technology they employed/advanced? It's something I've never understood about the apparently lineal approach many people seem to take toward dance music--one ostensibly either jumps on to the new thing every 2-3 years almost ashamed of having invested so much in what is now "outmoded;" or one nostalgically, probably partially ironically revives some temporally fixed technology/sound ("rave revival," neo-electro, etc.). Is techno inherently futurist, inherently shelf-life-limited?

I guess in a way I'm sidestepping of the direct question of this thread--if pressed I'd say, sure, pop music dates, in that one can percieve it (via stylistic or production qualities) as being not from the current moment. But I'd ask: so what? Does being "dated" inherently reduce the appeal of art? I reject that sort of modernist/futurist mentality as extreme and impractical, the force behind a great deal of destruction in the last century. When I hear most new music, it sounds at least as "dated" as any music, imbued as it often is with a self-conscious post-modern concern with nowness/newness and its temporal location in the "process" of pop music. The idea that the process is some sort of zero-sum "progress," with the moment at some sort of zenith, is one that I don't think too many people would actually defend when assessing the current milieu, but it's implied in some of the arguments I'm reading in this thread.

"Carbon-dating" a piece is an intellectual process. Don't you think part of the appeal of "the rhythm" is non-intellectual, physical, emotional? Do you listen only with your brain? I understand the desire to resist "anecdotal" response to music, the notion that some music is more "authentic" than others because of some (oh boy "rockist") emphasis on emotionality/spirituality. But does that mean we have to throw out the baby with the bathwater--that we must reject *all* emotional/physical response as dangerous and rockist and far to vague to have any meaning? Music isn't maths, there's no equation to determine what people find "good". Isn't it a bit unrealistic, at least, to dismiss this entire element of the enjoyment of/investment in "good" art--given that "spiritual" value, whether overtly expressed or implied, certainly played/plays a formative role in so much music made throughout human history? Wouldn't it be better to account for it directly, rather than try to write it out of existence? If we're actually interested in what anyone else thinks/feels about music (which would seem to be the motivation for ever talking/posting about/sharing/participating in it, rather than just sitting back and enjoying our own private libraries in solitude) then doesn't it make sense not to essentially accuse vast portions of the human population of false/sub-consciousness in their approach to music?

Last edited:

soundslike1981

If modernism has taught us anything, it's that the beloved future eventually becomes the past, and that we're better served by embracing this fact rather than fighting it as though we'l somehow overcome it. The more obsessed we've become with creating the future, the shoddier a past we seem to create (in terms of the built environment especially). Traditions allow for innovation, alteration, exploration--but they keep any given moment in perspective, make us aware of the momentary nature of our own lives and the need to contribute something that lasts (if one believes at all in civilisation). Pre-war architects could certainly distinguish periods, and a great diversity of form/expression, but there's a sustained quality of content. That's how I look at pop music--the great breadth of exploration is astonishing and deeply moving, but the best of it occurs when least obsessed with somehow "standing out" as "new". Rejecting the possibility of "timelessness" leaves us with only the options of irrational fixation on a tiny sliver of time that is closest to the future we *wish* we were in and the mindless rejection of all that is past; or a paralysing relativism, wherein anyone who expresses a preference for one thing over another is being reactionary or "conservative" (which is an obviously negative thing, right?).

Sorry to get on the box. I suppose that's what I'm doing. But the facets of this discussion pretty much consume my daily life--I'm a preservation/restoration/adaptive reuse/traditional new construction architect concerned with undoing the destruction of the urban environment over the last 70+ years. I work in a place (Little Rock, Arkansas, USA) where the self-inflicted destruction borne of perverted corporate cooption of the more fascistic tendencies of Corbusier rivals the destruction most cities in most parts of the world suffered mostly at the hands of war and bombings. So issues of temporal continuity/discontinuity affect me deeply.

tatarsky

soundslike1981> I'm sympathetic to your point of view here, not entirely convinced by my own 'carbon-dating' idea, for pretty much the reasons you state - in particular visceral responses to 'old' music, which would negate what i'm saying, provided that the 'carbon-dating' is in fact an entirely intellectual process.

It may not be though, the dating process may be part and parcel of listening - its rare to stumble across a piece of music and be totally unaware of when it was made. And inevitably, music is totally ingrained with information which gives away its time. It's absolutely impossible to take it outside of its historical context, and interpret it in any kind of objective manner, or even enjoy it (i.e. the less analytical, intellectual enjoyment) objectively on the purest basis of a pieces inherent 'good song'ness.

Along with any piece of music comes a huge amount of baggage, outside of the raw musicality (music as maths). These things, as much as the music-as-maths aspect get dated too, and enjoyed in the same way, even if we are completely unaware of this dating process (which we are 99% of the time)

Also, I'd add that things get even more confused by the fact that music is a sprawling mass of ideas and dynamics. There isn't a single timeline to follow, but hundreds, if not thousands. And they all talk to each other and interact. That's whats so fun about it all.

I'd argue that musical 'time' here can be quite different to normal chronological time. This is why you're able to pick up the threads of post-punk time, and appreciate it as your own, despite being removed from the time when it existed. The revival in interest in post-punk occured for good reasons, it's no coincidence that all of sudden people started taking more of an interest in it. Somewhere along the line music started hinting back to those sounds, and so you (and I, as it goes) began to search out more of those sounds. It turns out that the origins of those sounds were such a huge improvement on the more recent crop. The point is that the framework for what is defined within certain quarters as a 'good song' went on a detour, a timeloop, and ended up being very similar to what it was back in 1981.

Or you know, not. ;)

tatarsky

And in response to your second post...

I'd argue that the search for something 'new' doesn't have to trample all over the past, and crucially, can last, in precisely the manner in which you appreciate post-punk.

I think perhaps analogies with architecture (as interesting as they are), might be a little troublesome here. Music's attempt to be 'new' should reach for lasting qualities, ideas passed down through generation after generation. Similarly with buildings. Evidently, post-war, the desire for the lasting quality aspect of that was kinda neglected.

soundslike1981

Haha so there is a little room to breath in the teleology ; )

Certainly techniques/technology/styles come around to especial relevance to a "dislocated" time for reasons--at least I hope so, because if culture (even pop-culture) is merely fads, futurism and nostalgia, then I'm ready to check out.

Nevertheless, that can still be argued without recognising something beyond the superficial/temporal signifiers of the music. To use our example of post-punk, I can't say I'm checked in to the/any music scenes of "now" to know why its re-relevant. But if I was inspired to more deeply evaluate the sounds of the time (which I already loved as a teenager disillusioned with indie/rock/pop/techno in the late 90s) it was in opposition to whatever evaluations of relevance were apparent in the supposed "revival" of the mode in new music: the "revival" seemed completely superficial (and not even very well done at that level), which in fact made the possibly valid comparisons between the historical context of post-punk/new-wave and our current political/global situations that much more depressing, because whereas "first" post-punk at least pretended to have an ethical foundation/political resistence, the new had none of that. Which doesn't inherently bother me--I'm not much for "teaching" music (unless it's really well "dressed," ie Fela). But my point is that whatever external factors might've made the music of 1981 socially/culturally "relevant" seemed completely absent in the actual "culture" of the revival.

I guess I distinguish between "interesting" and "good" even in my own listening. I can find something interesting and, even as a hobbyist tracker of as many of the timelines as I can wrap my head around, I can still feel no desire to ever listen to the merely "interesting" stuff. Of course, things can (and perhaps should) be interesting and good simultaneously. I guess my working understanding of "good" does allow for the lovely "baggage" that surrounds the sounds--but it doesn't depend on it. Or at least I hope not. Because I certainly can't always say why something is good, and at some level I think a lot of criticism/verbal exploration of the question of "what makes something good" can be a form of tacked-on rationalisation, born of an insecurity or distrust of our emotional/physical response. All that rationalisation can be immensely intellectually enjoyable, but how often does criticism actually become art itself?

I took a degree in English Literature that, by the finish, meant less to me than the paper on which my diploma is printed: I felt like I'd been trained to love my pet cat not by interacting with it and loving it, but by disecting it, holding its spleen in my hand and proclaiming "now and only now" do I understand this feline creature". My distaste for criticism has tempered somewhat as I've reaquainted myself with my ability to love art before I'fe sussed it to suffication. Of course, that's my baggage. I can no longer say how much of my analytical tendencies were inborn and to what degree they were ingrained through study. I appreciate them for what they are (though my mental blade may have dulled, certainly in expression it has done). But they're simply not enough. Obviously this desire for "more" can lead to all sorts of romanticising, mythologising, which can eventually lead to "it is so because I say it is so" faith (Religion, wars, fascists, etc. etc.). Demystification is essential. But do we have to kill the cat to keep from flying off the deep and dangerous cliff of emotional solipsism?