christian marclay's "guitar drag" request

fseq

functionalsequence
could anyone on dissensus direct me to a website, if one exists, where i could watch/stream christian marclay's "guitar drag" short. the soundtrack to it was recently issued on vinyl and i'm now curious to see the film.

thanks in advance.

mms

sometimes
fseq said:
could anyone on dissensus direct me to a website, if one exists, where i could watch/stream christian marclay's "guitar drag" short. the soundtrack to it was recently issued on vinyl and i'm now curious to see the film.

thanks in advance.
i think its strictly an art gallery piece. its quite amusing, a guitar being dragged along on the back of a pickup, it's a good trick.

http://www.frieze.com/feature_single.asp?f=927

i saw it in the hayward about 8 years ago at this exhibition called sonic boom.

jenks

thread death
The Hayward produced a lavish catalogue complete with 2 CDs to go with the exhibition which was based around sound sculptures etc.

On the first CD there is a 4 minute extract from Guitar Drag.

The catalogue states:
'The work refers to the mythologies which have collected around teh image of the guitar, the truck and the rural American South, from lynchings and cowboy rodeos to road movies and on stage rock and roll guitar smashing rituals'

rose24

Guitar Drag

I saw this piece at the the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art a few years ago. The sound echoed eerally throughout the museum. One found theirself following the sound to the source of its origin. The description plate on this exhibit said it was about a news story from the south where some men tied a black man to the back of a pick up truck and dragged him until he was dead. It sheds a whole new light on the sound of this soundtrack as the sounds running through this mans mind through the interim of a senseless and mindless act of prejudice, wherein his torture eclipsed words into the sound in his mind.
Marclay is genius in his translation of an action thats horror is beyond words, translating the act into a sound wherein one can feel the horror and inhumanity in the event.

zhao

there are no accidents
a news story from the south where some men tied a black man to the back of a pick up truck and dragged him until he was dead.

this is not an isolated incident, but rather a common practice in slavery/lynching days, to drag a disobedient slave behind a horse until death.

the Guitar Drag piece was executed (all puns intended) in Texas.