White Mice

Buick6

too punk to drunk
While happily perusing my latest ForcedExposure catalogue update, I noticed the ubiquitous and fantastic Basic Replay mob have re-released more wonderful obscure top-shelf reggae-dub, the latest a series of 7" by THE WHITE MICE. I've never heard of them, but they are reported to be a the cusp of the dreaded 'digital' era of Jamaican music, IE the period where it all turned mainly to fucking shite. Funnily this stuff came out around 1988-89, a time when I was listening to alot of the On-u stuff and Tackhead (which ironically hasn't dated as well as this stuff!)

ANYWAY, this stuff is the SHIT. Fucking amazing mix of digital/analogue (or not), but still lurvely dubbed out reggae choons. It never ceases to amaze me how the BC/CR crew find this stuff, but it defintely shows why these guys still make the BEST techno/bleep/glitch/dubcore/smackhouse downbeat whatever shit going. They have fantastic taste and an archaelogists ear for the wicked shit, and hence they make the most wickedest music. Luv it. :cool:

Last edited:

childrentalking

any thoughts on the recently reissued LP?
bit worried it might grate over the course of a full-length... not much variation in the vocal flow.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
he's like a really flat tenor saw (with whom he is often compared). very few of the early digital artists made good lps (mr saw being my favourite exception)- they were in the business of singles and not much has changed up to the present in the world of reggae.

so, he probably will grate over the course of an lp. of course, what you should do is by the version lp too and then juggle vocal/dub, which will overcome the problem.

i wouldn't overdo the 'basic channel as archaelogists' claims- they have access to the wackies catalogue and 'youths of today' was wasn't entirely lost - i've had an mp3 of it for ages, from a split lp w/ tenor saw (suprise). that's not to diss what they're doing- i buy most of their releases when i find them.

micmack

My Little Pony
version imo is excellent. Interesting to contrast it with Dubstep. To me it is stronger and a more engaging listen than the vast majority of Dubstep I've heard.

U-Basstard

tragic mix
that LP is fucking unbelievable, some of the tracks are incredibly fast and propulsive.

This is like a lot of the stuff Mark + Moritz play in their 45 sessions, totally obscure digital cuts which they play almost like a techno set. Last time i saw them here in manc i asked Dom + Bob from Blood and fire what they were playing and they were as baffled as i was, they could only recognise like 10% of the tracks they played and these guys are total knowledges on the subject. I'd kill to have a look inside their 45 boxes.

can anyone point me in the direction of very similar stuff, or have any recordings of the recent 45 sessions they'd like to share???

bruno

est malade
not sure if it fits in exactly with what you're looking for, u-basstard (!) but there is a fine mix here called warrior's dance. all digital stuff, you might like it.