Favourite rock writers - and why?

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I don't read as much about music as I used to , though right now I'm reading that 'Bass Culture' book about reggae & Jamaica...I guess I use the Net as the main source for reading about music. Except for maybe 'the wire', all the magazines and fanzines in print are fucken useless, the last 'cool' one I bought, something Everett True published was so horrible I burnt it! And the dance (dunce?) mags, well Straight No Chaser still beleives acid-jazz can save the world..

But in my day I was a BIG reader of rock press, and I generally gravitate to writers who have good TASTE in music rather than some sorta political agenda, and can traslate the SENSATION or FEEL or ATTITUDE of the music and put it into a wider musical and maybe social rather than political context...IDEAS can really work too, something the Rolling Stone/Spin fucksticks generally lack in spades, and with music writing, and attitude it well part of the parcel. Some of my fave rock 'writers' include:

CLINTON WALKER - I bought his book INNER CITY SOUNDs in the 80s when I was discovering Aussie indigenoius underground music as a teen. He was pretty much the tastemaker for cutting edge music here in Australia. Shame he turned into a boring fucking cocksucker who really digs Brazillian cha-cha music or something and still think Aussie underground music never got past Nick Cave his smack-bum-chum from before the war (try listening to all those Bad Seeds records now and how DATED they sound, fuckface!)

BYRON COLEY - pretty much the first American rock 'writer' I got into. Just his wild abstracted flow, bad attitudes, drug-fucked free perspective and vivid descritptives of the 'sounds'/'headspaces' of the music he describe. And the fact that he always went for anti-sounds.

LESTER BANGS - I guess paved the way. And the whole US punk thing he championed, and of course his ability to appreciate really mainstream musics and the most out there stuff, and still find the similar energies in both.

CHRIS STIGLIANO - the guy's a fucken mental-case and a bay. But his belief in 'rockism' and music that has 'the Velvets art, the MC5's Blare and the Sex Pistols attitude' or something along those lines never ceases to amaze nor quit, even when you think the well is truly dry. No that a FEAT in anyone's terms.

SIMON REYNOLDS - simply because when I useta read MM and NME (though I was a MM PURIST), Reynolds simply had the best, most open minded tastes, when all the other fuckheads would go on about how 'single of the week' drek would save the world until the next dole-cheque. And he has a nack with coming up with new terms for genres.

NICK TOSCHES and RICHARD MELTZER - Tosches is prolly the most 'writerly' of the 'noiseboys'. I love how his bitter-junkie-Latin righteousness always tries to make grand gestures/tragedies out of everything. It's compelling and righteous. Meltzer's suburban-bum attitude and craziness while difficult to read, often lurches into areas of accidental brilliance - like his observations of Patti Smith's tits and his legendary shit-caning of Bruce Springsteen when 'born in the usa' was out. But Meltzers 'attitude' far superceeds his actual writing.

PHILIP BROPHY - though he's not a rock writer per-se, anything he writes is fucking brilliant and informative, and you always seem to learn something, which ultimately, is what a person of the letters should do.

swears

preppy-kei
Nah...everybody likes to talk about the good 'uns, what about the crap music writers?

There are lots of semi-anonymous hacks writing puff pieces about The Bands, Lily Allen etc...

Last edited:

D84

DAVID TOOP

I found Rap Attack one day procrastinating at the uni library when I was an undergraduate which I read in a night. It was the first of the few music books I've read - got me really hyped about hip hop for a while and music genreally - exploring different kinds etc.

And then there's those liner notes he did for that Sub Rosa Ancient Lights compilation about shamanism, imagination, horror movie hysteria etc. which got me interested more in my BA for some reason. I haven't read anything else apart from the odd Wire mag thing.

Rachel Verinder

My favourite writer at the moment in any discipline is Simon Barnes, Chief Sports Writer of the Times. He moves me in ways that current music writing doesn't.

martin

----
I bought NME for the first time in 9 years the other day, it's worse than the fucking TV Times, "how did it go in the studio?", "what's it like playing indie in Ibiza?", all the writers look anaemic.

Best ever was Mr Agreeable. On a shit tip, does anyone remember Bidisha? She was hilariously pretentious. I once saw her fall over on a Northern Line train to Hampstead, she must have been 19 at the time. She used to do this awful riot grrrl fanzine and odd bits for music mags, last piece I saw she was in the Independent complaining that she can't afford to keep topping up her pension.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Bidisha was on the newsnight "late review" thing the other night. Now a "novelist" apparently.

To get back on topic, there are virtually no decent writers who are writing about about music I listen to.

F

foret

catherline sullivan, ryan schreiber, nick sylvester, that dashing petridis fellow in the manchester guardian....

swears

preppy-kei
Jockey Slut was my favourite magazine ever. Always ahead of the pack, witty, on my wavelength, got me excited about labels, DJ's, etc....A little bit of soulboy-style musical snobbery now and again, but that always preferable to mindless populism, I suppose.
It started out as fanzine and you could sense that a lot of it was written out of love. Besides, any mag that puts Dave Clarke on the front gets my £2.50.
Of course it had to go bust when popular culture desended into retro-hell.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
D84 said:
DAVID TOOP

I found Rap Attack one day procrastinating at the uni library when I was an undergraduate which I read in a night. It was the first of the few music books I've read - got me really hyped about hip hop for a while and music genreally - exploring different kinds etc.

And then there's those liner notes he did for that Sub Rosa Ancient Lights compilation about shamanism, imagination, horror movie hysteria etc. which got me interested more in my BA for some reason. I haven't read anything else apart from the odd Wire mag thing.
Ocean of Sound is wicked.

Lester Bangs' collected works should be sent to every NME/ broadsheet / whatever hack with a post it note saying "LOOK! THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE." Particularly some of the stuff that just reads like an intelligent and passionate music fan grappling with whether stuff is any good and why and trying to communicate the feeling to the reader - he's self confident enough to write what he thinks, brave enough not to have any sacred cows, and honest enough to basically tell it like it is. Although there's some complete drivel as well, obviously...

john eden

male pale and stale
john eden said:
To get back on topic, there are virtually no decent writers who are writing about about music I listen to.

Having said that I think I was thinking more about mags than books, Lloyd Bradley who wrote Bass Culture, which is referred to in the OP is pretty good. As is Steve Barrow. Dave Katz has his moments but his Lee Perry book is too spotterish even for me.

Boomshackalacka was a great fanzine, but the main bloke behind it now mainly writes the Dub Vendor monthly catalogues.

swears

preppy-kei
Slothrop said:
Lester Bangs' collected works should be sent to every NME/ broadsheet / whatever hack with a post it note saying "LOOK! THIS IS HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE DONE."

Most of the people writing for the broadsheets or the NME probably know that they're producing shit, but it's a wage isn't it?
Controversy, biting wit, subjective opinion and confounding expectation do not SELL.
Most readers are happy to have their beliefs reinforced, they want to feel good about their taste, not have some uppity scribe suggest to them that they're a gormless consumer-zombie.
This is why nothing ever changes, because people in positions of media influence are terrified of alienating their peers, or in more practical terms, losing a steady paycheck.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
john eden said:
Having said that I think I was thinking more about mags than books, Lloyd Bradley who wrote Bass Culture, which is referred to in the OP is pretty good.
Oh yes, I didn't notice that. It's really good - particularly for the cultural context stuff - until he gets to dancehall and just has a load of older musicians whingeing about how there's no skill involved anymore, all you have to do is press a couple of buttons on a keyboard and a tune comes out and it's all about sex and drugs and guns and so on...

gumdrops

i like a lot of writers on the anon (im not gonna say theyre shit) tip like the guys that write for hhc, kevin le gendre at echoes, people like paul clarke at touch (and some other mags}, the girl who does the tv reviews at metro (quite funny), etc etc
but big up all shit writers, yes
ive never quite gotten (and i hope this doesnt sound arseholeish) how sam wallaston at the guardian has managed to keep his column as he never seems to say well, anything really

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Tom Jennings, who was the editor of Homocore zine way back when, and Vaginal Davis talking about shrimping Henry Rollins in JDs. The punk rock Smash Hits. Genius.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
swears said:
Jockey Slut was my favourite magazine ever. Always ahead of the pack, witty, on my wavelength, got me excited about labels, DJ's, etc....A little bit of soulboy-style musical snobbery now and again, but that always preferable to mindless populism, I suppose.
It started out as fanzine and you could sense that a lot of it was written out of love. Besides, any mag that puts Dave Clarke on the front gets my £2.50.
Of course it had to go bust when popular culture desended into retro-hell.

The people who used to do Jockey Slut are now making Dummy magazine which is excellent even though it has Carl Barat on the front.

swears

preppy-kei
Ned said:
The people who used to do Jockey Slut are now making Dummy magazine which is excellent even though it has Carl Barat on the front.

I flicked through this in HMV, 'cause Aphex was in it. Looks like it's been designed by a GCSE graphics student, minimal without being interesting, and the content is pretty bland and straight forward, businesslike. I suppose it has some of Slut's unpretentiousness, but I dunno, no personality. A good magazine should speak to you, have a particular voice, like I can imagine Vice being a bratty prick who's occasionally fun to party with, or The Face in when it was in so-over-it ice queen bitch mode.
This is just....*shrugs*

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
David Toop - only one I've read was Ocean Of Sound. I really, really tried with that book but I just couldnt get what his angle was. I enjoyed the part about the amazon though.

Ian McDonald - could be a reactionary old goat at times, but everything I've ever read by him has merit, even if it's just to get my back up. And a technically beautiful writer. He was the Simon Jenkins of music writing.

Jockey Slut - was good up until about 1997. Swears is right to note the (northern) soulboy undertone - they didnt do pop culture and were a bit sniffy about street music. But for a magazine primarily about techno to be a consistantly funny as JS was in it's heyday is no small feat - no magazine fought harder against faceless techno bollox than they. Unfortunately they started believing thier own hype in the late 90s and it turned into a bit of an industry insider dance mag - dull.

There was a brilliant hip-hop mag called True around in london in the mid 90s - anyone remember this, or know what happened to it?

Rachel Verinder said:
My favourite writer at the moment in any discipline is Simon Barnes, Chief Sports Writer of the Times. He moves me in ways that current music writing doesn't.

Yeah, I think sports writing is generally of a far higher quality than music writing these days. We rightly bang on about the shiteness of OMM, but the sport mag they do is excellent. Journalism too.. I was reading a piece by Jon Brodkin in the paper today and realized what an excellent, balanced, authoritive piece it was - just a mid-paper news item, but so well done. Sport seems to have the grand narratives & mass appeal now that music used to have - is that why it's attracting the cream of the writerly crop?

swears

preppy-kei
Not music journalism, but I have a perverse fondness for Peter York.

On Peter Saville:

"His clothes have always been good, clever with a nice little bit of of observation and subtext in them, but not so as to spoil the effect. He spends real money on clothes, follows the designers-knows what they're doing. The rest of his money goes on dinner and sex.
He's got his priorities right; it's really engaging."

Haha...he's like a real life brit Patrick Bateman and he loves playing it up.

F

foret

Rachel Verinder said:

crap piece after the inglaterra/portugal game