New dj shadow album

mms

sometimes
So depressing it really is, i think he got his mum to select half the tunes and his teenage brother to select the other half.

hint

party record with a siren
Indeed.

After the initial buzz of 3 Freaks, I was geared up for it to be really exciting / interesting.

But it really isn't.

mms

sometimes
hint said:
Indeed.

After the initial buzz of 3 Freaks, I was geared up for it to be really exciting / interesting.

But it really isn't.

some of it sounds like clannad - some of it samples john cage it's THAT intelligent and it's got that cunt off coldplay on, only two of the hip hop tracks are good too.

i was so looking forward to this as well.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
oh come on, the david banner track is great, three freaks is pretty strong, the e40 track is fabulous.
it's a pretty brave records and i think it's the closest he's got to the record he actually wants to make.
i like it.
and the christina carter track is lovely.

gumdrops

the beat for the banner track is majestic. amazing. not sure about his taste in some of the mcs (or some of their performances, rather) - sorry but i still cant get into keak (great voice, shit everything else), nump is alright i suppose aas is turf talk but theyre not really anything to write home (or anywhere) about. i actually find myself liking the BEPish q-tip track as it at least has a bit of melody/catchiness and is a bit sweet compared to the darkness of everything else on the album. all in all, its ironic this is titled the outsider, as this is shadow trying to actually buy his way in really - rather than happily do fringe music, or stuff thats not like whats happening in the middle of rock and rap, hes trying to do what they do (albeit in his own way - theres still gothic touches to the hip hop beats, and the mood of the coldplay and radiohead rip off tracks is what id expect of shadow). i was a bit dissapointed though that he didnt really 'advance' the rock side like he did the hip hop end, i.e make some electronic rock. might have made for a more cohesive album. as it stands i just program it into two halves.

soundslike1981

DJ Shadow has always sounded ready-made for hip Ikea adverts, to my ears. Anything that would change my mind on this new thing?

(disclosure: the only thing I've heard was Endtroducing but it sounded like the utter indiefication and deflation of everything normally engaging about hip-hop/sampling/DJing/electronic music--a lifestyle accoutrement.)

Norma Snockers

Dj Shadow is shit! He 'indiefied' hip hop with entroducing but he's got nothing more to say really. This effort is shite beyond belief, the only outsider thing about it is his taste. Bay area my arse.

Norma Snockers

Norma Snockers said:
Dj Shadow is shit! He 'indiefied' hip hop with entroducing but he's got nothing more to say really. This effort is shite beyond belief, the only outsider thing about it is his taste. Bay area my arse.

that was a bit strong but he's not very good!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
I've never heard so much crap about Shadow, ever. "finally making the music he wanted to" or whatever, my arse.

it all well and good to slag shadow off culturally for the audience he attracted - indie hip hop, leftfield studently etc - but his music, in terms of what he did with samples and the emotion and texture he could make with them was very special.

gumdrops

Blackdown said:
I've never heard so much crap about Shadow, ever. "finally making the music he wanted to" or whatever, my arse.

it all well and good to slag shadow off culturally for the audience he attracted - indie hip hop, leftfield studently etc - but his music, in terms of what he did with samples and the emotion and texture he could make with them was very special.

seconded

soundslike1981

Blackdown said:

I heard it before I was aware of what sort of following it would attract, and I wasn't moved or impressed. It had an innate. . . safety to it that made it very snoozable. In fact, all I know about its most vociferous audience is that it seems to be "the" "electronic"/sample/DJ album proponed by people who know even less such things than me. The fact that Dissensians who surely know their shit in these fields better than I do makes me curious to reinvestigate; but I can just see those adverts now. . .

(Has he actually been used for such things?)

mms

sometimes
Norma Snockers said:

this is just snobbery really, he's not shit which is why this record is somewhat disappointing.

gumdrops

soundslike1981 said:
(Has he actually been used for such things?)

apparently a lot of his stuff is used as background music on MTV non music shows, other TV shows as well as radio programmes

hint

party record with a siren
mms said:
this is just snobbery really, he's not shit which is why this record is somewhat disappointing.

Exactly.

Blackdown said:
"finally making the music he wanted to" or whatever, my arse.

Doesn't that angle on it come from the man himself? Over the past few months he's been making a lot of comments along those lines, it seems.

Blackdown said:
it's all well and good to slag shadow off culturally for the audience he attracted

I think it's a cop out to slag an artist off on those kinds of terms.

Blackdown said:
but his music, in terms of what he did with samples and the emotion and texture he could make with them was very special.

Agreed. He has a good ear and remarkable arrangement skills, above anything else.

thirded

Blackdown said:

sounds like sucess hate to me...

I guess the LP's leaked then 'cos I know its not out till sept 4th - oh well there goes his sales...

f****** net......

Norma Snockers

mms said:

True, it was a knee jerk reaction on the first listen. It really is a pile of crap on the second spin too.

mms

sometimes
Norma Snockers said:
But still 'Hyphy'? What a Bell end to get behind that nonsense.

he's from the bay area and it's bay areas hip hop, alot of it is great too. not sure if his productions measure up to those of others though.