Copping a whole schtick.

swears

preppy-kei
Which musicians do you feel have based their entire image/sound/feel/personality on one particular influence? Like Bush were always pegged as a pale imitation of Nirvana, for example.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
All those shit bands on the Estrus Label that based their whole shtick on the Ramones, especially that fucking terrible Aussie band called THE MEANIES.

The Shoegazers and MBV

The Britpoppers and the Beatles/Neil Young hybrid

Aussie hiphop and the WuTang Clan...

lissajou

Buick6 said:
All those shit bands on the Estrus Label that based their whole shtick on the Ramones, especially that fucking terrible Aussie band called THE MEANIES.

The Shoegazers and MBV

YR MOM IS A GIRL.

Norma Snockers

Buick6 said:

The Shoegazers and MBV

There's still life in MBV style shoegazing just not the same format. Everyone feels a need for it sometimes but if it was a bit more 'future' it'd be perfect.

swears

preppy-kei
Norma Snockers said:
There's still life in MBV style shoegazing just not the same format. Everyone feels a need for it sometimes but if it was a bit more 'future' it'd be perfect.

You must have heard of Ulrich Schauss and M83, they're making electronica heavily influenced by MBV. Loveless almost qualifies as an electronic album anyway, relying as it does so much on effects and samples.
So it's okay for an indie hater like me me to like it. ;)

fandango

Tiny Robot
Buick6 said:
The Shoegazers and MBV

Ride, Chapterhouse, Lush, Catherine Wheel, Curve (early) Boo Radleys, (early) Verve were more contemporaries surely?

MBV might well have been first (although you could even say came out a scene influenced by JAMC, Galaxie 500 etc...) but 'copping a schtick' seems unfair.

Unless... you're only thinking of the more recent music of Ulrich Schnauss, M83, some Morr artists, in which case, I'm still not sure it fits neatly (can you tell why?).