Lost 80's obscurity

nochexxx

harco pronting
Tipped of by Woebot's list I tracked down the Associates Fourth Drawer Down LP and have to say I was blown away. It got me thinking, perhaps even a quest to find out more essential 80's music obscurity, a period of music which I'm not very hip to, bands that may have inspired Ariel Pink along the way. any recommendations, thanks.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The Passions "I'm in love with a German Film Star". I think you might love it, Ariel Pink seem to from what I can hear! The rest of their stuff was panty-pants though, don't bother with the album.

MankyFiver

ive got a special passion for 1st prefab sprout lp 'swoon', it doesnt sound like anything else, cant work out its influences, maybe showtunes, every song is all over the place, sound is very shiny and bright though so cant see any obvious influence on ariel pink

oh and great cover as well

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Is 4th Drawer Down really a lost obscurity? That's fucking tragic if that is the case cos its fucking fantastic. Some of the best Associates stuff is on there, I guess it hasn't been picked up by the retro-influence collective musical unconscious yet... perhaps cos the whole flamboyant eccentric art-pop thing falls to far outside the imagination-less remit of modern rock?

soundslike1981

Run a search on Soulseek or the like for "1981 box" or something like that. I'm not sharing it, but I've heard other people are. With over 460 artists on the version that'd be floating, a number of them obscure, you'd probably hear quite a few things you'd enjoy. I'm not familiar with Ariel Pink, or I'd give direct recommendations.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
I recently got Danielle Dax' "Jesus Egg that Wept" (1984) and can highly recommend it, one of the best 80s obscurities I've encoutered for a while. The best way to sum it up is probably that it sits somewhere between Kate Bush and The Residents, without really sounding like any of them.

nochexxx

harco pronting
gek-opel said:
Is 4th Drawer Down really a lost obscurity? That's fucking tragic if that is the case cos its fucking fantastic.

Perhaps it isn't, i've really no idea.

hamarplazt said:
I recently got Danielle Dax' "Jesus Egg that Wept" (1984) and can highly recommend it, one of the best 80s obscurities I've encoutered for a while. The best way to sum it up is probably that it sits somewhere between Kate Bush and The Residents, without really sounding like any of them.

thanks harmaplazt, this sounds like it's weird enough for me.

Tweak Head

You can get an edition of "4th Drawer" together with "Sulk":
"Sulk" includes "Club Country" and the fantiastic, classic "Party Fears Two".

Give it time, and be prepared for some duff songs too, as the Associates' output was patchy. Worth it though for some real gems. Also check out their version(s) of "Love Hangover".

Leo

Tweak Head said:
Give it time, and be prepared for some duff songs too, as the Associates' output was patchy. Worth it though for some real gems. Also check out their version(s) of "Love Hangover".

last year, fiction/universal/polydor remastered and reissued their wonderful LP "the affectionate punch," which is a little less disco-glammy and more early roxy-ish. very nice.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yes, the remaster job on that is excellent too, very very crisp sounding. I'm wondering if they will remaster the next two?

Leo

gek-opel said:
Yes, the remaster job on that is excellent too, very very crisp sounding. I'm wondering if they will remaster the next two?

i believe "the affectionate punch" had never been on cd before, hence the recent remaster/reissue. i think the other cds have remained in print.