glitch

F

foret

this is high time for a glitch revival

going through mille plateaux i've come upon things like the first two vladislav delay albums, autopoesies, random inc, microstoria

and for the noisier mego substrate the first two fennesz albums, massimo's 'hello dirty' (the foremost example of the glitch/trash hybrid yeah) also pita's 'get down' and some stranger things like evol's 'magia potentia'

the two fennesz/rehberg/o'rourke laptop albums are worth getting too

any lesser known stuff in this vein you'd recommend?

swears

preppy-kei
Ned: Hecker's soundtrack for Angela Bulloch's The Disenchanted Forest x 1001 is a lot more mellow than his usual stuff. Endless Summer by Fennesz is a nice listen too.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
Endless Summer is one of those albums that I've been recommend a million times, so I bought it, and I listened to it a lot, and I just could not get into it. Just baffled.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
Ned said:
Can anyone recommend some more melodic glitch stuff?
Jegas "Geometry" is one of the greatest and most underrated glitch-albums out there, like the "Frequencies" of post-Autechre electronica. But maybe it's too melodic and electro-rhythmic to be true glitch? I've allways preferred when glitches was used simply as a sound source, a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.

Speaking of Autechre, do they count as glitch? If they do, "lp5" is the best recommendation I can come up with here, irresistably synthetic and plastic-like. It sounds like I imagine it would feel like to eat polystyrene, and I've allways wanted to do that.

Some additional recommendations: Geroyche: "Bitpop", Fizzarum: "Monochrome Plural".

F

foret

autechre aren't glitch i think

they're supposed to use algorithmic programming to get some of the seemingly chaotic rhythms on 'confield' etc and they edit with tiny fragments of sound (eg cap iv off the gantz graf ep) that sound like glitches, and this creates a surface texture comparable to some of the names in this thread

maybe some of the tiny samples they use are glitches, but it's all so processed that they might be sampling themselves shitting

sort of like the oft noticed superficial similarlity between the determinism of total serialism (babbitt) and aleatoric composers like cage

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@Foret: is glitch process or soundsource? I think its not that relevant, I mean glitch as sound source (ie a skipping cd in Oval's case) is the inspiration, but if you apply that technique to other pieces of music (which Autechre did) then I think it still counts as glitch...

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
So for something to be glitch, it has to use sounds that actually are glitches, rather than just sounding like it? But where to draw the line? Does it have to be sampled from skipping/damaged sources, or is it enough to simply misuse software, abuse it so it makes "wrong" sounds ("glitches") that it isn't supposed to? If you turn up a digital filter or similar plugins high enough, you get sounds that do indeed sound very much like, say, a damaged cd, and that most likely isn't intended from the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Autechre have done a lot of this.

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
I really like glitchy piano stuff, like the Alva Noto + Ryuichi Sakamoto collaborations which we've talked about elsewhere. I can also recommend the Post Piano LP by Skotz/Kolgen on 12K.

tate

Brown Sugar
subvert47 said:
Sileni does nice glitchfunk :)

audio
Nice one, Mr. Statto. :) Yes, I'd even say that there is a little rivulet of leftfield dnb that has incorporated glitch as an essential part of the sonic palette. Sileni, Martsman, Dissident, and Graphic come to mind as standouts in that sense. Martsman has said that it was Sileni's TDR that was the most influential track for his own recent approach, while Graphic has gone on to do semi-glitch non dnb as MegaDynasty4, the only non-dnb download-only release on Offshore (available at bleep, btw). Jason oS's tune "808" is right on the cusp of pointillist glitch meets atmo dnb, and is a gooooorgeous track. That Dissident track that opens John Doe's latest IchiOne mix is beautiful too.

When I first read this thread, the only thing that gave pause was the 'revival' aspect. I would have thought that glitch had been absorbed in different ways by many different genres and production styles, and so was present in new ways and not necessarily in need of revival? In any case, if you'd like, foret, I've got an anthology of glitch-like tracks that Philip Sherburne compiled for a musicology journal in 2003 that I could send you (entitled 'splitting bits, closing loops: sound on sound'). It has things like Stephen Vitiello, Steve Roden, Insitut fuer Feinmotorik, M. Behrens, Scanner, DAT Politics, Stephen Matthieu, Francisco Lopez, Alejandra & Aeron, etc.

Also perhaps worth mentioning, though he's way beyond glitch: Curtis Roads, one of the pioneers of granular synthesis, a composer and prof, who has made some challenging electronic music. I mention him b/c autechre invited him when they did ATP, and I don't see him much mentioned anywhere outside of academic music discussions.

F

foret

hamarplazt said:
So for something to be glitch, it has to use sounds that actually are glitches, rather than just sounding like it? But where to draw the line? Does it have to be sampled from skipping/damaged sources, or is it enough to simply misuse software, abuse it so it makes "wrong" sounds ("glitches") that it isn't supposed to? If you turn up a digital filter or similar plugins high enough, you get sounds that do indeed sound very much like, say, a damaged cd, and that most likely isn't intended from the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure Autechre have done a lot of this.

gek-opel said:
@Foret: is glitch process or soundsource? I think its not that relevant, I mean glitch as sound source (ie a skipping cd in Oval's case) is the inspiration, but if you apply that technique to other pieces of music (which Autechre did) then I think it still counts as glitch...

why not invoke the divine protocols of the elders of glitch ;o

there isn't any difference now aesthetically, although i think you are upside down (a laser attempting to read a damaged cd is an aleatoric _process_ a formal element)

not all the people i used in the first post were 'glitch' by that definition but i thought i'd co-opt it for a snappy thread title cos the name is used infrequently and with surgical tweezers ever since the awful pitchfork fucking media glitchfest of '01

Last edited:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Re: revival or incorporation as standard technique: doesn't minimal house utilise glitch at times as simply another electronic sculpting technique, so its no longer the centrepiece, merely a method to serve the composition?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
@Foret: Agreed on the process nature of a CD-player attempting to read a damaged CD, but I think there is a (slight) distinction which could be drawn between taking those sounds, and using them as source to create music around, and using the process of the glitch (in its purest form a read-error) and using that as inspiration to apply similar sounding processes via specially written code to other sources (ie- drum beats or guitar pieces or whatever)... but maybe that's splitting hairs.

mms

sometimes
gek-opel said:
Re: revival or incorporation as standard technique: doesn't minimal house utilise glitch at times as simply another electronic sculpting technique, so its no longer the centrepiece, merely a method to serve the composition?

yes it does but it has since stuff like force trax etc.

but as a central piece, esp with physical stuff like oval or noisier stuff like yasuno tone, even philip jeck, hecker etc it still stands up as a really good centrepiece.

glitch was a massivley overused word, just used to describe any electronic music by lazy journos for a while.

F

foret

gek-opel said:
@Foret: Agreed on the process nature of a CD-player attempting to read a damaged CD, but I think there is a (slight) distinction which could be drawn between taking those sounds, and using them as source to create music around, and using the process of the glitch (in its purest form a read-error) and using that as inspiration to apply similar sounding processes via specially written code to other sources (ie- drum beats or guitar pieces or whatever)... but maybe that's splitting hairs.

and that was exactly my consciously slight taxonomic distinction that would separate autechre from say fennesz, and that you disagreed with? ;p

already the derivatives of glitch (eg some michrohouse and the first two prefuse 73 albums) are very interesting and hopefully the aesthetic of microediting noises that sound chaotic will continue to filter further into pop and create things probably more interesting (even!) than the late 90s mille plateaux stuff sad cunts like myself are nostalgizing in this thread!

Last edited: