Mice

Woebot

the bastards.

had one ages ago. he would appear upstairs and on the floor below. i blocked up two of his holes and that seemed to banish him into the house's cavities.

but then we found one in the kitchen. getting cockier and cockier. tried the same trick of blocking up holes, but think i might have actually locked them into the house this time. woops.

i've tried human mouse traps before and they never work. so this time laid a classic "little nipper" with a bit of chocolate. after two nights of nothing i nearly give up. watching tv one night and "snap" from downstairs. the dread of having to encounter the dead body.

the mrs doesnt speak to me for two days. she's so upset. pretends to like the little blighters. lies. i feel awful at having killed this creature. im not a vegetarian but....

thought that was it. but now yesterday we see another! i think there's at least two more. where are they coming from? my resolve has hardened this time. its going to be a blood bath i'm afraid

:-(

S

simon silverdollar

it is horrible having to do this, although it is a good excuse for getting a cat...

jenks

thread death
Woebot - this is all too familiar.

The 'little nipper' is about the only thing we have tried which has worked. There is is always that horror when you hear the snap in the night. Also it is also a great motivation to get out of bed first so that the kids do not stumble upon the blighters.

My wife, who was mortified to find we had mice, too turned guilt struck whilst i was cast as a murderer for actuallly laying the trap!

Also my 86 year old Mother-in -law ( grew up on a farm in Ireland, fount of all rural knowledge) claims you never get just one mouse in a house.

It is, though, about the only way we have got the kids to stop dropping crumbs all over the house.

Good luck

Lichen

They are legion

"had one ages ago"

If you think you have one mouse you have 100, if you think you have 10 you have thousands of them

We lived in house with a RAT problem (West End Farm). We euphemistically termed the invaders 'Mr Rat' to duck from the horrible reality...

There were probably hundreds of the fuckers.

Traps proved ineffective and I resorted to poison. Our daughter and her friends would skip out the playroom excitedly and say " Come and look at the mouse. He's so sweet" :eek:

STEP AWAY FROM THE MOUSE!

Last edited:

rewch

seem to have developed the same problem... manageed to catch one in a poster tube & release it outside on the assumption that it was solo... how naive... am intending to adopt 'exterminate all the brutes' approach... united front against the rodents! little bastards...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was recommended to go to London Zoo and ask them if they had any spare big cat 'droppings' lying around, which one woud then leave in a corner. Apparently the primal fear terrifies the little away.
I never had the guts to do it myself, but...

rewch

i'll see if i can get some in dalston market... good thinking... it's meant to work for foxes too...

rewch

dunno... but if you can score bushmeat, human remains for juju &c. reckon some lion shit ought to be available...

budub

la di da
Lichen said:
If you think you have one mouse you have 100, if you think you have 10 you have thousands of them

sadly, this is true. and sadly, the poison is the only thing that seems to get them all :(

tell us how the tiger poo works out

Woebot

Woebot - this is all too familiar.

The 'little nipper' is about the only thing we have tried which has worked. There is is always that horror when you hear the snap in the night. Also it is also a great motivation to get out of bed first so that the kids do not stumble upon the blighters.

ha! this is exactly what i've ended up doing! also so as to spare anyone else the corpses.

the current "mouse" (delusion apparently, lol) keeps eating the chocolate i put on the trap. bastard!

as per lichen's comments, poison seems the way to go.....

jenks

thread death
Peanut Butter is very good for the trap - very sticky and difficult to lift off without setting the trap.

zhao

there are no accidents
glue traps you can buy in a hardware store in America, and cheese. that worked best for me when I used to live in this house a few years ago... nasty business

gumdrops

i really hate mice. had quite a problem in my last flat, would wake up every morning to find droppings everywhere, not just on the floor but in cupboards and on the kitchen worktops which made me feel ill. my mice didnt go for the traditional traps, even though i used peanut butter, they somehow dodged them, they did however go for rentokil granules. but how effective that is in the longterm i dont know cos mice reproduce at a really rapid rate, and they reproduce in large numbers too. we used steel wool to block up openings (usually pipes, nooks and crannies, and gaps under skirting, if theres holes behind cupboards they can get in there too), and thick DIY tape for other gaps, but theyre very persistent and clever and come out to search even if theres no real food available. the only real way i think of getting rid of them, personally is to get a pest control person in. the guy who did our old flat seemed to have some really effective heavy duty (at least they looked that way) trap/bait/devices that seemed to work. he also found where they were getting in from outside and blocked up that whole which i think helped get rid of them for the whole building.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
BASTARDS!!!!!

but seriously a cat would do the trick-mind you having seen the EVIL way that cats dispense with mice a trap seems more humane

Rambler

Awanturnik
Had to use poison in the last place I lived at. Did the trick; but be sure to look for bodies each day. Don't wait until you notice a 'funny smell' before seeking them out...

One of my old housemates lived in a place with lots of mice, as well as several semi-stray cats. They would wait until the mouse ran under the fridge, then position a cat at each corner before lifting the fridge out of the way. Cue instant mouse hell. On another occasion there was a tin of treacle spilt in the corner of the kitchen (it was that kind of house). That worked like a kind of prehistoric tar pit for sugar-happy mice; in the morning you'd find them all glooped up in the act of trying to escape.

sufi

lala
gumdrops said:
had quite a problem in my last flat, would wake up every morning to find droppings everywhere, not just on the floor but in cupboards and on the kitchen worktops which made me feel ill.

exactly the same in my last flat in sarf london...
to start with it was ok - sometimes seeing a perky little whskered face peeking out from under the cooker, but it got worse and WORSE
last straw was finding a mummified mouse in the toaster, i couldn't cope with that... i binned the toaster & eventually left.

my roomy (also 'landlord') bravely struggled with disgusting sticky traps and caught a few, apparently now they are 'under control' - i think maybe they stay outdoors til the colder weather :eek: :eek: :eek:

gumdrops

oh god, a mice in the toaster. thats really horrible. luckily my flats mice problem got sorted (it was also in south london, brixton actually) and i thought that would be the end of it for me, but ive seen two already at my new place. im praying that more dont arrive when winter comes (although im not totally convinced about the theory that they only come in winter cos we were getting quite a few well into summer). if they do start popping up a lot, im def calling the guy who sorted my old place out. i dont care how much it costs. alternately, i might just get a cat. im just hoping it will be a cat who likes killing mice and not the indifferent, rodent loving type, lol.

Woebot

exactly the same in my last flat in sarf london...
to start with it was ok - sometimes seeing a perky little whskered face peeking out from under the cooker, but it got worse and WORSE
last straw was finding a mummified mouse in the toaster, i couldn't cope with that... i binned the toaster & eventually left.

my roomy (also 'landlord') bravely struggled with disgusting sticky traps and caught a few, apparently now they are 'under control' - i think maybe they stay outdoors til the colder weather :eek: :eek: :eek:

the horror! obviously the upspoken dimension of RR

mms

sometimes
i went to a house in france on holiday with my mum and dad and grandpa when i was younger, it was a shithole, me and my sister had to sleep on a mattress together on the floor and they hadn't provided a cot for my 1 year old bro.
on top of that, it was infested by mice, which mean't my sister and i were shitting ourselves waiting for the little hairy bastards to crawl on us.
We were watching telly and one of the fuckers fell from a gap in the ceiling, hit the floor running, we also couldn't cook a thing as we couldn't store any food.
My grandpa bless him caught one of them and picked it up by the tail flushed it down the loo, his reactions were like lightning, stood on it's tail and flushed it, quite something to watch a guy in his 80's do.
The next day he was bitten on the toe by a mouse, obviously vengeful.
So we complained to the travel people and got moved to another place, shithole again, my grandpa left his trousers out to dry on the steps outside his room and gypsies nicked them.

Last edited: