PDA

View Full Version : The board's appealing new look!

Woebot
14-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Annoyingly our beautiful nick(s)kin had to go by-the-by.

I had to upgrade the board software from 3.0.11 to 3.6.0 because it had become really vulnerable to bugs and hacking and that necessetitated abandoning all the old style templates.

I'd like to try and co-erce Anil Bawa to rebuild it for this version of the software, untill then I'm afraid everyone will have to tolerate these skins I've bought (the best that were available you'll be astonished to find!)

:-(

john eden
14-08-2006, 11:32 AM
Oh. I'll delete that other thread!

The smilies still seem to be missing.

Are there no shareware/open source skins?

Thanks for the upgrade and ongoing backroom stuff, Matt!

rewch
14-08-2006, 12:04 PM
truly shocking! but at least it still works... & is black... you can almost see your face in it!

martin
14-08-2006, 02:52 PM
This actually makes it easier to read at work without arousing suspicion, well done Matt

mms
14-08-2006, 03:07 PM
it's rather black metal this look.

Ned
14-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Grey text on grey - design classic.

polystyle desu
14-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Downright Stealthy ...

gek-opel
14-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Are those bloody ipods as icons for each board heading??? Eugh. The old design was very pleasant on the eye... this is like living in Bladerunner or something, but without that handy device that infinitely zooms in on photographs...

henry s
14-08-2006, 06:25 PM
the black background is very avatar-friendly!

budub
14-08-2006, 06:44 PM
oh disregard my board feedback then

i really loved that original dissensus look, it was such a refreshing one.
but i believe this will have to do. the black is strange at first, but i'm sure it'll grow on me

Woebot
14-08-2006, 06:58 PM
people! (sighs) as soon as i can get the old look back you will have it again. it's just that it takes rebuilding for this new version of vB.

Woebot
14-08-2006, 09:59 PM
ok that's better. i like this look actually. anil raided it for load of the nik(s)kin stuff. it has a mac bias i suppose, but wtf.

Mr. Cheese
14-08-2006, 10:51 PM
I quite like the black skin actually, only problem is it seems to be a bit "dark" in comparison with the other skins (as in "impossible to discern where the icons are") but that's swiftly rectified by a little monitor tinkering of course.

tate
14-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Am sure that everyone knows this already, but you can select a skin from a number of options in the lower lefthand corner (or for some, middle) of the main page. The 'default' skin is actually somewhat close to the old Nick skin, on my computer at least, since it comes complete with similar layout for search, new posts, etc. Colors are different, of course.

In any case, we should all thank Woebot for taking the time to deal with these kinds of issues, and also for paying for new skins. He's a busy fellow, you know. Thanks, Matt!

nomos
15-08-2006, 12:12 AM
this aqua one is sexy. and clean. i like it ;)

IKoss
15-08-2006, 02:00 AM
lol. iono when this so called 'black' skin was removed.
but inspite of not having seen it.
i would def say this 'OSX' look fits quite nicely with, well, OSX. hehe
all other mac heads must appreciate it as well.
nice one for that!

rewch
15-08-2006, 08:23 AM
nope... even worse

baboon2004
15-08-2006, 09:42 AM
The default skin is fine, if a bit weird/80s.

I wanna see the other choices you had, if those were worse! trust your judgment, it would just be amusing to see how bad it can get...

Woebot
15-08-2006, 11:43 AM
nope... even worse

something about gift horses and their mouths?

;)

gek-opel
15-08-2006, 04:06 PM
This new one is alright...

swears
15-08-2006, 07:44 PM
The new one is peppermint flavour, just lick your monitor screen.

Edward
16-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Hello
yesterday or the day before there were a few skins to choose from.
Now I can only get the default one and it doesn't really work, various icons and text are all overlapping.
I know I should get a newer computer but I like my old OS9.... any chance of putting some of those skins back?
One of them worked for me in that I could still read the site...

cheers

rewch
16-08-2006, 10:32 AM
something about gift horses and their mouths?

;)

oh... in that case it looks better than ever & is definitely an improvement... any other changes will also have the same attributes of betterness & improvementness... ;) ;)

noel emits
16-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I like the wink smilie in the current default skin. Really cheesy and sarcastic ;)

Don Rosco
16-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I had hoped that the board upgrade would fix the new posts thing.

I want posts to stay tagged as 'new'/'unread' until i've actually read them. Threads seem to be marked as old news before i've even looked at them. I've checked the settings, but I can't see any way to change it. Is it just me?

nomos
16-08-2006, 04:12 PM
i just noticed that user titles and post counts aren't visible in the aqua version

sherief
17-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Welcome! You've got Dissensus!

tate
17-08-2006, 12:39 AM
I had hoped that the board upgrade would fix the new posts thing.

I want posts to stay tagged as 'new'/'unread' until i've actually read them. Threads seem to be marked as old news before i've even looked at them. I've checked the settings, but I can't see any way to change it. Is it just me?
Hey Don Rosco, not sure if you are using the aqua or the black skin, but if your 'new posts' option doesn't work on aqua, then you can also try it on the black: first you must click on "search" at the top of the page, and then, when you do, a series of choices will pop up/down - one of which is 'new posts.' Not sure if this will help the question as to whether or not you've actually read them, however (apologies if you noticed this already).

D84
17-08-2006, 04:44 AM
I like the wink smilie in the current default skin. Really cheesy and sarcastic ;)
I agree. I like these newer smilies: a bit cruder but the previous but more expressive somehow. I do miss Nick's skin though... But hey a change is nice..

DigitalDjigit
17-08-2006, 12:56 PM
Is it possible to make the text in the "black" scheme lighter? There's very little contrast there making it hard to read.

henry s
17-08-2006, 04:59 PM
I miss the Stones song titles...(to think I was just a few posts away from Beast Of Burden!)

pokinatcha
17-08-2006, 05:24 PM
I miss the Stones song titles...(to think I was just a few posts away from Beast Of Burden!)not to worry...if you click on your own profile, you'll see you're still Brown Sugar! ;)

henry s
17-08-2006, 07:47 PM
not to worry...if you click on your own profile, you'll see you're still Brown Sugar! ;)

so that's why I taste so good! :D

Don Rosco
17-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Hey Don Rosco, not sure if you are using the aqua or the black skin, but if your 'new posts' option doesn't work on aqua, then you can also try it on the black: first you must click on "search" at the top of the page, and then, when you do, a series of choices will pop up/down - one of which is 'new posts.' Not sure if this will help the question as to whether or not you've actually read them, however (apologies if you noticed this already).

Thanks Tate, I had noticed, but there's no need to apologise! The problem remains though - posts get marked as read, when they are resolutely unread. It doesn't happen on any other forum I frequent. Dissensus is low traffic enough for it to not matter too much I suppose...

Rambler
18-08-2006, 07:49 AM
I get this too Don - the only thing I've found that works is to navigate by the breadcrumb links at the top of a page rather than clicking back and forward in your browser. Bit irritating, but you get used to it.

Melchior
23-08-2006, 12:09 PM
I miss the locations...

IKoss
23-08-2006, 04:52 PM
dunno if this has been mentioned yet, as i have not looked at this topic in a few days... (laaazy, yea. lol)

anyways i was just now thinkin about how the aqua skin seems extremely viewer-friendly while im at work. that, in addition to the fact that the only non-text content around here is avatars.. hehe

;) -bigIt'

Edward
24-08-2006, 08:38 PM
I can still only look at about one thread in three on my computer. Lots of them just come up as an empty page. I can't use the black skin, nothing changes when I select it. It's well frustrating.

I don't suppose I'll be missed cos I only post once in a while but I quite liked visiting this website when it used to work.

Oh dear

tate
24-08-2006, 10:08 PM
You would definitely be missed, Ed, so please hang in there until someone gets it straightened out!

IdleRich
25-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Seconded.

sufi
25-08-2006, 10:57 AM
is anyone else experiencing drastic problems like edward?

much as i miss our old skins, the discomfort is only superficial & all content should be visible in the new skins... what sort of system are you using, e?

soof, dissensus customer services

sherief
28-08-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm near positive that the rate of posting has dropped since the change to the new skins.

Woebot
28-08-2006, 08:40 AM
I'm near positive that the rate of posting has dropped since the change to the new skins.

:p

Freakaholic
11-09-2006, 03:38 PM
bah.

iv elost everything but the Mac lookalike skin.

I just cant sit here and stare at a mac screen for this long. it goes against all my sensibilities.

Grievous Angel
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I really like the new default setting, very Mac -centric but lovely to use.

Shame the stones song titles don't seem to work with it.

Thanks Matt!