Grime for Girls

MBM

So it's Xmas Day and I'm at home, sipping champagne with my ex and I'm a bit pissed so I put on Logan Sama's mix mp3. After about 15 mins, she says the shouty guys are getting a bit much.

So, a simple question: is there anything a bit smoover out there? What should I go for?

I'm not talking Barry White-seduction stuff here, just something with a bit less testosterone.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
Tracks 12 to 15 was the best of the bunch when it comes to ladies tunes at that time.

Terror Danjah, Wiley and Davinche seemed to be the only ones catering to the smoother vocal side of things.

There's some really nice laid back Kano tunes which I believe might be on the album as well. Terror made two of them, there's some nice slower bpm stuff as well on Kane's album.

mms

sometimes
i'm really loving the b side to alias's warriors track, grind feat ayak.
great r and b tune with his trademark heavy production.
my gf thinks it's a bit shouty too, so i played her this and asked her what she thought and she said it was too poppy but she liked the backing! cant win :D

i think the woman downstairs day long cheesy as hell loverman/wailing repugnantly clean living girl r and b sessions on really bright speakers have almost made us both totally allergic to r and b

arcaNa

Snakes + Ladders
mms said:
i think the woman downstairs day long cheesy as hell loverman/wailing repugnantly clean living girl r and b sessions on really bright speakers have almost made us both totally allergic to r and b
aww, i share your pain...
used to live next to this girl who blasted super-slick soul/r'n'b' all day long,at all hours... god,how relieved we were when she finally moved out!!.. ;)

mms

sometimes
arcaNa said:
aww, i share your pain...
used to live next to this girl who blasted super-slick soul/r'n'b' all day long,at all hours... god,how relieved we were when she finally moved out!!.. ;)

it's not the kind of music you can ever justify, i guess it works on some kind of really simple boring romantic wish fullfillment dream level, usually ultra conservative and super traditional, almost totally sexless.
no jouissance.

i think the last smoove r and b track i liked was lucy pearl 'heard it all before' , just a great song, very simple and catchy and no crisp white settings, maybe the freakin weekend song by r-kelly.

everything else of that ilk sounds like the verge of a nervous breakdown to me tho

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
You're not thinking of Sunshine Anderson with Heard It All Before? That's a great track anyway. Bedroom style RnB seems to throw up about one good track a year I'd guess- I like perhaps a tiny portion of it, Raphael Sadiq's OK in a vaguely similar ball park, but apart from that I guess we've all heard it all before.

Yeah that P-Jam tune Can't Hold It In was excellent- that's the kinda of rhythm and grime I like, loads of tension there.

Apart from that- much as I'd like a feminine take on grime, I don't feel it's ready to happen really. Too many American accents in the singing, the only really distinctive tracks seem to have a more 2-stepy feel. That new tune Dexplicit has done with a woman singing over what is (more or less) the forward rhythm is a bit like this- choppy, funky, a unique kind of UK flex. Apart from that, I dunno, as Logan says, it's not like there are that many producers doing this sort of stuff that well, are there?

mms

sometimes
Diggedy Derek said:
You're not thinking of Sunshine Anderson with Heard It All Before? That's a great track anyway. Bedroom style RnB seems to throw up about one good track a year I'd guess- I like perhaps a tiny portion of it, Raphael Sadiq's OK in a vaguely similar ball park, but apart from that I guess we've all heard it all before.

Yeah that P-Jam tune Can't Hold It In was excellent- that's the kinda of rhythm and grime I like, loads of tension there.

Apart from that- much as I'd like a feminine take on grime, I don't feel it's ready to happen really. Too many American accents in the singing, the only really distinctive tracks seem to have a more 2-stepy feel. That new tune Dexplicit has done with a woman singing over what is (more or less) the forward rhythm is a bit like this- choppy, funky, a unique kind of UK flex. Apart from that, I dunno, as Logan says, it's not like there are that many producers doing this sort of stuff that well, are there?

yeah i am thinking of sunshine anderson - oops.
there is too much following of the us verse chorus for the singer, mc doing 16 bars replacing the guitar solo thing. a sort of relinquishing of the tuff sound as well, which is in a way wrong, ie timbaland didn't clean up his sound for missy.

luka

what?! i love slow jams! sometimes it gets too syrupy but there's lots of really enjoybale stuff too. don't know enough to reccomend particualr tracks or anything though.

AshRa

what about Sadie Ama and Kano "So Sure" - my favourite girly grime track of last year (not that there were many to choose from)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Umm... "girly grime stuff" doesn't translate into "sickly sweet slow jamz"

can we fuck off the sexism please

grime will get interesting when girls want to dance to it, same as any other music form

mms

sometimes
2stepfan said:

grime will get interesting when girls want to dance to it, same as any other music form

i don't reckon anyone was saying that, quite the opposite, just a couple of us and our partners have a general allergy to anything remotley r and b due to overexposure to slowjams from neighbours' stereos ;)

AshRa

2stepfan said:

Yipes - I hope that wasn't directed at me! :eek:

I wasn't being sexist and anyway I like sickly sweet slow jams - THE SICKLIER AND SLOWER THE BETTER!

C

captain easychord

2stepfan said:

brap. you speak the truth, girls just want the funk. most girls i know hate all that syrupy shit.

has anyone mentioned "with you" - shola ama + terror danjah? large track.