Miami Vice : The Movie

Buick6

too punk to drunk
Putting aside the intellectualist 'touch feely' approach, this film is very Dissensus-user friendly.:)

More small aircraft than a Ballard novel, more portable devices than a Gibson novel, as much weaponry, plastic explosives and violence as a Fox News/Al Jazeera feed, more awe-inspiring scenery than a Herzog flick and of course an electronische/rock moderne soundtrack. The only problem is the humans that get in the way. :eek:

Sure, every Mann film feels like it was made in 1985 and Hype Williams might have done a good job on it, but in the greater scheme of things in this area, Mann is the man. :cool:

Tokyo Jesus

I watched the whole thing hoping that they would finally track down the bad guy and then, at the last second, a huge global warming storm would come and wipe everyone out, along with all of Miami. It would have been the perfect dark ending to this movie because it would have given a proper burial to a great series that should never have been remade in the first place.

Miami Vice

I was looking forward for this one, but I left the cinema totally disappointed. I liked very much "Collateral", and I was expecting this film to confirm Mann as THE MAN when we talk about action films in this decade... visually, yes, this film is hunting and there are plenty of good, risky ideas for such a big movie: no credits at the beginning, lots of atmospheric "empty" moments and the usual overpresence of music in Mann's films. However, I was surprised at how bad the script was, I mean, it doesn't take so much effort to make something you can relate to out of the characters in this movie, but it seems like they are robots, with no feelings, and I didn't even understand it as a comment on the dehumanization of the Miami environment -which, yes, would have made this film a very Ballard-like one....

.... And it is SOOOOOOOOOO boring...

blunt

shot by both sides
However, I was surprised at how bad the script was, I mean, it doesn't take so much effort to make something you can relate to out of the characters in this movie,

I so wanted this movie to be good. And especially since Sight & Sound made it their cover feature, I thought it was pretty reasonable to expect something good.

But, christ, what an interminable ball-ache of a movie. Fuck all screen time betw Crockett & Tubbs (WTF!?), with Jamie Foxx left with nothing to do other than sport a hair style becoming Kryton out of Red Dwarf; Gong Li faxes in her performance; a script with heavy heavy expository acne; and, Ivan, spot on with the dialogue: when Ciaran Hinds asks, "What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?" it was all I could do not to get up and leave; and I've only done that once before (King Arthur - and that was a freebie).

Glad I stayed tho, if only to see the climactic shoot-out, which I will grant you: is awesome.