Rest in Peace Joseph Hill

zhao

there are no accidents
oh lord... that is indeed tragic. I just saw him on stage 2 weeks ago! such a powerful voice! such presence!

I'm not sure how politically active or powerful he was or if he had enemies like all the greats, but is it at all possible that he was assasinated?

Jimmy Cliff is still alive and well though... is he the last of the giants from that generation?

john eden

male pale and stale
It's really gutting, not just because of his great tunes of the 70s but because his "Policeman" single earlier this year was exceptionally good and I guess was his last.

Appreciate the foundation people while we still have them, is a lesson I keep forgetting... :(

D

droid

RIP

Was supposed to be going to see them tonight for the first time... :(

martin

----
Occasionally, you get artists who seem to be incapable of recording a crap track, who manage to soundtrack key moments of your life in a way that a million others can't. I was first scorched by the "Two Sevens Clash" LP when I was 16, constantly strapped for cash and desperate to escape Luton - even now, I still reckon few roots reggae classics come close to the emotions and sonic textures of this beautifully defiant track. Along with Prince Far-I's "Under Heavy Manners" I'd rate it as the best roots reggae album ever. I once gave away the "Forward to Africa" 12" ('81) to someone purely because they fell in love with his voice and I thought it'd be better shared around than hoarded. RIP.