identity crisis

xero

was minusone
This is intended for matt if he's around or any other admins:

I have just returned to the board after being away and ill for a few months & would like to change my user name without creating a new user altogether

The main reason for this is that my user name is also the name of a collaborative project with some other people that has fizzled out. I realise it was probably unwise to have used the name but hey, it was early days and I was hasty and perhaps didn't imagine that the board would be quite so compelling and long-lived

So if it is at all possible i would like a virtual deed poll :cool:

zhao

there are no accidents
yeah me too! reason being I realised that my name sake Chinese philosopher was actaully kind of an ultra-conservative and sided with the Man on numerous occassions.

I chose the name because it rhymes with Dissensus and when ever I say something it's like "Confucius says"... oh forget it

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
while we're on the subject...

i'm not too fond of the capitals in my user name. would prefer to go all lower case.

sufi

lala
well i've decapitalised noel, that was my pleasure

what would confucius & -1 prefer & i'll see what i can do? welcome back you two

nomos

Administrator
funny i was just in the middle of writing to woebot about this very thing on mine an confucius' behalf.

do you know if matt has a policy on this sufi? maybe there could be a one-time nameswitch amnesty or something.

anyway, i've been tempted to take off the "-forthepeople" part of my name in the admin CP for ages. (i'm not crazy about the autonomic part either, that's from another time and place.) when i signed up i never thought i'd be posting so much that it would get tedious.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Skinner: Only one question remains, gentlemen...what do we call ourselves?
Nigel: How about, "Handsome Homer Simpson Plus Three?"
Barney: I like it!
Apu: Wait, I do not.
Skinner: Er, um, we need a name that's witty at first, but that seems less funny each time you hear it.
Apu: How about, "The Be Sharps?"
[Everyone laughs loud at first, then less, then the laughter tapers off]
Skinner: Perfect!

tate

Brown Sugar
sufi, I don't want to give you more work or add to the requests no doubt already piling up, but if it would be possible to do for me what you did for noel, e.g., to put the first letter of my user name in lower case, I would be eternally grateful! Thanks so much :D

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
it's like having a new haircut. definitely an improvement but might take a couple of days to get used to.

thanks sufi.

turtles

in the sea
Ooooh, if it's not too late to cash in on this, I would humbly request a change from my current name to "turtles" thank you very much. the old one was a bit awkward, me thinks. thanks!

john eden

male pale and stale
Ooooh, if it's not too late to cash in on this, I would humbly request a change from my current name to "turtles" thank you very much. the old one was a bit awkward, me thinks. thanks!

OK, I have done this.

Can I request that users who have changed their names include something about their former name in their profile?

I.e. "formerly known as xxxxx".

Otherwise it may get a bit confusing for the rest of us. It doesn't hae to be a permanent thing, but will ease the transition....

Hit "user CP" button at the top and edit profile - write what you like in "Custom User Title"

I also agree that this should be a one-time thing.

Last edited:

xero

was minusone
thanks sufi and john for the spot on suggestion - sort of like the sunglasses icon you get for a while on ebay if you change your account name :cool:
feels good to have shed my old skin and seems like a few others needed the identity update too

now got to get to work on that old avatar...

nomos

Administrator
Can I request that users who have changed their names include something about their former name in their profile?
Hit "user CP" button at the top and edit profile - write what you like in "Custom User Title"

Agreed, but are custom user titles showing up for anyone else in the new Aqua skin? For me doesn't show the user title or post count along with a post.

But, adding your old username to you signature does work. I noticed xero did that too.

Last edited:

john eden

male pale and stale
Customer user ting isn't on posts any more but you can see it if you view people's profiles. Sigs are just as good tho, yeah.