Scanner Darkly

mms

sometimes
what did you think?
i thought it was much better than i expected, fairly faithful to the book, the animation worked better than film n' effects would as it would take away from the subtle bubbling twisting story, enjoyed the ambient feel, the shitty stoner chatter and the anal, paranoid technology freakism really reminded me of folk i've lived with.
Not sure about robert downey junior, didn't like his performance, didn't really think winona was the part either but keanu's woodeness suited the role for once, woody harrelson too.

tox

Factory Girl
Been waiting for this film to come out for ages. Despite promising to read the book before seeing the film in this thread I never actually got round to it.

Great flick though. I agree the rotoscoping technique added to the atmosphere of the film in a way that traditional CGI or whatever couldn't ever manage to do. The hallucinations just blend straight into the reality without jarring in the way that CGI so often does. Robert Downey Junior didn't particularly annoy me, though perhaps that was only because I haven't read the book.

One of Linklater's strong points is his ability to include non-cheesy comedy in his more serious films. You see it in things like Tape and again in Scanner, that the laughs you can still have in an adverse situation are present in his films. If you compare that to the usual "Sci-Fi" Hollywood flick you realise that they either shoe-horn in some awful jokes or are completely devoid of comedy.

Anyway, Scanner's one I'll be seeing again.

alo

Of the 20 minutes i've seen, the rotoscoping ltechnique ooked horrible- cheap, nasty, and boneheadedly obvious--
And Downey junior just comes across as a smug bastard, as per usual.
Still, i'll obviously have abetter reference when i've seen the whole thing...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Saw it this morning.

Can't say it's left much of an impression. I loved the book, but that was ages ago.

It's not awful though.

How's that for a helpful analysis?

budub

la di da
i started the book after loving the first 20 minutes when it was on the net
i couldnt get through the first chapter and now after a month i still have no desire to either

lazybones

f, d , d+f , p.
shame that was such a short discussion!

i saw at a while back in covent garden... i rather enjoyed it, felt it captured the tone of dick's style rather well. far more so than minority report say. i reckon that RD jr was actually quite good, though only in hindsight. i caught myself mulling over just how grating he was , so he must have done something right. it obviously had quite a pulp feel to it due to the cell shading , which again worked in its favour i think. thought the bug scene at the start was handled very well indeed. would like to see it again to analyze a little more.

thinking of MR , i never imagine his worlds as being all shiny and chrome... blade runner got those dark,drab hues and gaudy neon so spot on....

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I saw this. Thought it coulda been heaps better WITHOUT the fucken gay animation crap.

Probably the most 'faithful' Dick adaptation yet, though it coulda been weirder and darker. I just found it a bit too straight and literal, I reckon a non-American director woulda done it true justice.