so i've finally heard that digital mystiks remix of richie spice...

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i don't want to slag off dubstep, because i've done it enough now, but come on, people... what is all the fuss about?
having heard great things about it, but having always missed hearing it when i've made my now rare (and invariably disappointing) forays into dubstepworld, i thought i should give it a chance.
unfortunately, i wasn't exactly surprised to have my worst fears confirmed.
although you can say that it isn't a remix (going under the name of diigital mystiks, rather than richie spice) and that it's a whole new, stand-alone recontextualisation of the original, i'm still utterly, utterly underwhelmed by the tune itself.
it's not even subverted the tune's core intention by taking spice completely over to the darkside (which might have been interesting, considering the upful consciousness of original), or anything clever or playful like that, it's just uninspiring, plodding and absolutely tiresome.
the rhythm is bloody awful and the whole thing sounds like a mediocre kind of dirge to me.
i really, really don't get this at all and would be very grateful if anyone could explain the appeal, seriously.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
i haven't heard it but you've piqued my interest

how does the vocal go?

Last edited:

Logos

Ghosts of my life
It goes..."Burnin marajuana pon the corner"

Its a big tune becasue it smashes up raves, the bassline is weighty and musical, and it just 'drops' - hence the impact. That and a thousand indecipherable things that make one tune a smasher and another medicore. The first night Mala played the dub down at fwd a couple of months ago it got three rewinds without any hype behind it.

Its rhymically very straightforward, as is a lot of Coki's stuff. But certainly not a dirge. I would get bored if sets were at this pace and rhythm all night but they aren't when someone like Mala plays, so its ok.

Its dawning on me that dissensians don't like dubstep at all. Is that because it promises so little in theory but is utterly captivating in reality...which is the opopsite of grime really isn't it?

Last edited:

mms

sometimes
It goes..."Burnin marajuana pon the corner"

Its dawning on me that dissensians don't like dubstep at all. Is that because it promises so little in theory but is utterly captivating in reality...which is the opopsite of grime really isn't it?

when has this ever been true?
any of it!
:confused:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I for one find dubstep delivers far more on my personal expectations than Grime did (not to beat down on Grime, loved certain bits, never really tunnelled deep into it as much as a lot of people about these parts)... but yr right Dubstep is minimal--- there's a lot of holes left both aesthetically and theoretically, which you have to fill yourself. That's what gives it such interest, its just a tempo and sub, and whatever the producers imagination can handle on top... from a theory point of view it links into tonnes of other stuff I'm interested in like doom/drone metal and sonic terrorism and suchlike... its the space left in at the moment which makes it seem so promising, all that fertile sub-bass space like so much nitrate-rich mud (as Loefah would put it) or Nile-delta silt... And its brutality in the correct club-space means its almost like installation art (site-specific). Whats not to love?

gumdrops

ive not heard this but it cant be any more pointless than plasticmans still tippin 'refix' which apart from a few EQ tweaks, seemed absolutely identical to the original beat! i usually really like plasticman's stuff a lot but this had none of grimes energy, no reprogramming, nothing....

nomos

Administrator
Not sure where you got that idea. There are a lot of people on this board who love it and also write about it (me, for one). There's just been a small number of prominent Dissensians who've made much of their distaste for it. I don't buy the theory/real thing either.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
And to be honest of late plenty of former hardcore hataz (ie Reynolds and Woebot) have been publicly coming to terms with the fact that they actually don't loath dubstep quite as much as they previously imagined...

Blackdown

nexKeysound
i don't want to slag off dubstep, because i've done it enough now, but come on, people... what is all the fuss about?
having heard great things about it, but having always missed hearing it when i've made my now rare (and invariably disappointing) forays into dubstepworld, i thought i should give it a chance.
although you can say that it isn't a remix (going under the name of diigital mystiks, rather than richie spice) and that it's a whole new, stand-alone recontextualisation of the original, i'm still utterly, utterly underwhelmed by the tune itself.
it's not even subverted the tune's core intention by taking spice completely over to the darkside (which might have been interesting, considering the upful consciousness of original), or anything clever or playful like that, it's just uninspiring, plodding and absolutely tiresome.
the rhythm is bloody awful and the whole thing sounds like a mediocre kind of dirge to me.
i really, really don't get this at all and would be very grateful if anyone could explain the appeal, seriously.

lemme guess dave, you heard it off the FWD/Kode 9 podcast? if so dont judge because the bass is pretty much missing. Coki's tunes are written so the bass fluctuates so much it generates the momentum regardless of the drumz. sorry to return to (everyone else's) mantra but if you hear it very loud it's got insane energy - no mediocre dirge at all.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
no, it's on a thing i got sent from somewhere else, amongst a bunch of much better reggae – guess now, you've got three chances and one gone! the bass was fully in place, and that's my point. even though THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF DUBSTEP was spot-on, it still bored the shit out of me. it's utterly turgid and i don't see how anyone can say that this stuff is the most exciting music around at the moment. what's worse is that i was really looking forward to hearing it and hoping to be proved wrong by it.

nomos

Administrator
No offence Dave, and I respect your opinions, but this...

i don't want to slag off dubstep, [but...]
[i've made another] rare (and invariably disappointing) [foray] into dubstepworld
[and] it still bored the shit out of me...
[so] how anyone can say that this stuff is the most exciting music around at the moment.

...has become a standard script for several writers in recent months. So many public delclarations of distaste for dubstep. Why bother? It always comes across like a rant from someone who acknowledges that he never will like the music, and who makes a point of saying that he rarely bothers to listen to it, having a go at it, and baiting people associated with it into a polarising debate. ("So, why is it the most exciting thing in the world?" "How is it as good as reggae/grime/pancakes?" etc.)

Personally, I'm less thrilled with dubstep in recent months. There's a lot of boring stuff coming out. But, on the whole, over the last couple of years, I've been more excited by dubstep than I have been about anything else for well over a decade. And if so many other people feel that way then either we're all delusional - experiencing an aberrant, mass lapse in good taste - or there's something to it.

I'm not having a go at you personally, but this discursive trend is pointless, given that it really comes down to differences in tastes and expectations. There are vast areas of music that I think are shit and that I know little about. If I want to know what the fuss is about I think the onus is on me to put the time into figuring it out (and maybe still deciding it's shit in the end) rather than challenging anyone to prove me wrong.

Last edited:

nomos

Administrator
Anyway, this is the third time I've launched into this and I'm not going to bother anymore.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

I'm afraid I can't elucidate, other than to say that dubstep is the On-U Sound for now, and I found that equally shit.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
no, it's on a thing i got sent from somewhere else, amongst a bunch of much better reggae...

there's only about 10 people that have this on CD right now, so if you do have a proper recording of it, it needs to have come from coki directly, so i'm sceptical you even have the right mix.

anyway i'm with paul, i'm getting a little tired of dave's posts. if you dont like dubstep cant you use your writing skills in a positive way elsewhere?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
it's on the soul jazz dynamite dancehall comp, which i'd say quite a few people have by now.
it's called earth a run red and is credited to digital mystiks. whether or not it's the "right" mix would be worth finding out. i'd like to think people have higher expectations than this.
i'm sorry if this is boring people, but all i've heard by way of defence is "listen to it loud - feel the bass" and this is what i see as a big problem with dubstep at the moment, it's so bloody one-dimensional. i don't know of any writers who are actively criticising dubstep at the moment. simon's come out slightly in favour of it after a period of not liking it, when i actually really did. in fact, it's the fact that i used to love it that makes it so damned disappointing now. and i do listen to it and try to keep up, there's just not a lot of point dedicating your time to something that isn't doing anything for you, that's all. and, really, it's not as though all i dio is write scathing shit about stuff i don't like on the internet, i do write positive stuff about plenty of things in a variety of places.

mms

sometimes
ahh, earth a run red is an older coki track that soul jazz licenced, the richie spice marjuana tune has the full vocal all the way through.
no one has got that at the moment as i think they wanted to licence the vocal and haven't yet.
it's the full track with strange godfather strings.

i don't think it's the right track, i'd agree earth a run red is a bit boring but it's also 2 years old..

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
i figured this couldn't be the richie spice track everyone has been going crazy about, because it's ncredibly dull. thanks, i'm glad to find that out.