favourite grime words, slang etc...

benjybars

village elder.
been meaning to do this for ages.. i just finished studying linguistics at uni and was gonna do my dissertation on this but i ended up doing something on the turkish community in haringey instead..

Anyway,, yeah, i love grime's linguistic inventiveness (haha, what a wankey phrase!)

not saying that grime mc's start all the slang but they do a good job of spreading it..

personally, i'm big fan of 'bits' to mean area/manor etc.

anyone else got any favourites??

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
As much as I think this topic is swag, I feel I need to get something off my chest:

I just heard Scratchy say the best thing since "Do you hate yourself?" replaced "Are you dumb?":

ARE YOU DRUNK?

zenmonkey

Coupla slang terms I don't get.

Can anyone tell me what the following mean: skeng, mash and blix/blicks,

For some reason I think a skeng is a knife. Am I right?
I am presuming that a mash is either a) a machete b) a machine gun c) a mash hammer
or d) some pulverised potatoes.

In the Dizzee Rascal track "Where's the Gs" he says, rhetorically, "Where's the blix? Where's the mash?"

In "fix up, look sharp" he says something along the lines of,

"I've heard the gossip from the street to the slammer,
They're tryin to see if Dizzee stays true to his grammar,
Being a celebrity don't mean shit to me,
Fuck the glitz and glamour, hit them with the (Blitzen hammer/bricks'n'hammer/Blicks n' hammer.)

What does he say? If its Blix - what the crud is a Blix?

Standard bledrins - standard.

Last edited:

tom pr

I am presuming that a mash is either a) a machete b) a machine gun c) a mash hammer
Possibly answered in the other thread, but it's a gun.

I like to think that it derived from potato guns, but it's probably the second of your suggestions...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
skengalengle

Ah, a knife for chopping up galangal root?

galangal_300.jpg

They think of everything these urban linguistz.

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
A recent fave is using "a lot" to describe something hectic or intense. So, if a big big bassline comes in, or some big bars are dropped, "oh my diddy, it's a LOT" etc.

Such a funny phrase because it's such a weirdly bland word to use.

mos dan

fact music
not slang per se, but i like the fact that jammer has about fifty different ways of pronouncing the word 'dumb'.

viktorvaughn

Can anyone tell me what the following mean: skeng, mash and blix/blicks,

In the Dizzee Rascal track "Where's the Gs" he says, rhetorically, "Where's the blix? Where's the mash?"

In "fix up, look sharp" he says something along the lines of,

"I've heard the gossip from the street to the slammer,
They're tryin to see if Dizzee stays true to his grammar,
Being a celebrity don't mean shit to me,
Fuck the glitz and glamour, hit them with the (Blitzen hammer/bricks'n'hammer/Blicks n' hammer.)

What does he say? If its Blix - what the crud is a Blix?

Standard bledrins - standard.

I always thought a blix means a gun of some sort. Theres a line in Grime somewhere 'you never knew a blix was a dillinger'. Can't remember the MC tho (Ghetto maybe?). So i guess the line is 'hit em with the blix n hammer'.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Maybe dizzee was talking about the former un weapons inspector hans blix. He doesn't want to just go straight in with the hammer after all...gotta give them a chance.