Mac Dre

Eric

Mr Moraigero
I've been loving his stuff recently---bought some best of compilations etc & enjoying a lot. It's so playful & (may I say) smart, and he sounds like he's having much fun, unlike lots of rappers out there...

It's hard to figure out what to get though. Looking around I felt like I did when first faced with the Lee Perry back catalogue (probably going to get some shit for this comparison): billions of choices, where to start? Any recommendations?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
my favourite is mac dre presents ronald dregan: dreganomics (has "fellin myself" on it) , but pill clinton is pretty great, too, as is thizzelle washington. you should also get all the thizz nation and rompalation comps - they're full of stuff from other people and comparatively cheap.

S

simon silverdollar

is he the guy that's really into mdma?
if so, does that come across in his music---any rave elements in his hiphop?

i haven't heard him, but am very curious.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
yup. that's what thizzing is - taking pills - and, yeah, the ecstasy experience does, to a certain extent, come through in alll hyphy, in the speed of the beats, the daftness of the accessories (especially the trevor mcdoughnut-style stunnas), "going dumb", the thizz face (hybrid skrewface/e-gurn) and the general silliness of the lyrics. he coined the word "thizz" and his record label is called thizz entertainment. he also invented the "thizzle dance". he's actually dead now. was shot in kansas city after a show in 2004.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Dre

i think you'd probably really like him, simon.

Looking around I felt like I did when first faced with the Lee Perry back catalogue (probably going to get some shit for this comparison):

only in as much as mac dre is a hell of a lot more consistent than scratch!

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
my favourite is mac dre presents ronald dregan: dreganomics (has "fellin myself" on it) , but pill clinton is pretty great, too, as is thizzelle washington. you should also get all the thizz nation and rompalation comps - they're full of stuff from other people and comparatively cheap.

I agree with with the recomends by stelfox above.

A little extraneous data on Mac Dre aka Thizzelle Washington.

Mac Dre back in the early to mid 90's used to rap about serious street ish. He got arrested for bank robbery becasue he kept talking about robbing banks and it matched the MO of a group of people who were robbing banks here in the bay in the early 90's. The belief is that he was framed cuz he said he had nothing to do with the robberies.

I am glad his music changed and became more playful not to mention he started doing the furley. :)

On the last thing he did (put together posthumously)there is a song called "Thizzle Mountain". I love that tune.

anyway hope that helps

check this blog for more info on bay area rap music

http://nationofthizzlam.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

Eric

Mr Moraigero
thanks yall. those recommendations kind of square (wrong word) with the instincts I had about it---thizzelle washington, dreganomics. hadn't heard of the pill clinton one tho. have to check these out for sure.

how is al boo boo & genie of the lamp? these were the others that had looked appealing, also for reasons of silliness.