Home Sweet Home - !WowoW!

IdleRich

IdleRich
Thursday 7th September at Bethnal Green Working Men's Club Pollard Row for a sneak preview of Julia Keller's film "Home Sweet Home" a
documentary about life in a squat in Peckham in 2005, featuring artist Mathew Stone, fashion designer Gareth Pugh, stylist KT & others from the art collective !Wowow!

Doors 8.30 Screening 9.00 Party at 10.30 featuring DJs
Bishi (Kashpoint), Louise & Rich (Sleep All Day Drive All Night), Silencio (Bethnal Green Working Men's Club)

Entrance £3

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Full Details

More details:

HomeSweetHome is a documentary film telling the story of !WowoW!, the London based art collective who chose to deny the norm of expensive, small rented spaces for the expansive accommodation and work studios of commercial building squats to help realise their creative path.

‘I hate the fact that we could be living in some horrible, small flat in box rooms and have to pay a hideous amount of money. It would feel like being trapped, a horrible feeling. I’d rather be scarred and live this unpredictable lifestyle.’
KT (!WowoW! artist and squatter)

‘I’d rather be somewhere huge and cold with blankets and little heaters, than be somewhere small and comfortable where I couldn’t make work.’
Matthew (!WowoW! artist and squatter)

Shot during February and March in 2005 the film follows the young Turks move from one squat to another, led by James and his compadres. At each location they are faced with issues of failed creature comforts – from no water to no natural light. All the while their passion and ambition fuels their prolific creativity. Matthew exhibits his work at a gallery (who has since been featured in i-D magazine, modeled for Alexander McQueen and organised parties for NYC gypsy punks Gogol Bordello); KT juggles several freelance styling jobs; and Gareth finishes and shows his collection for London Fashion Week as well as creating the costumes for the Kylie Minogue tour. Gareth has since become the darling of the London fashion scene and is often featured in leading, stalwart style magazines, including Vogue – clearly defying the squatter stereotype of dog-on-a-string crusties! Would the !WowoW! kids be enjoying such success without squatting it out?

HomeSweetHome raises questions about affordable living, the wasted opportunities of vast empty buildings, and the role and responsibilities of property owners and developers. But with it’s main focus on !WowoW!, the bottom line is simply that the aspiring artist can only afford the desired ‘space’ through means of squatting. A lifestyle of severe compromise: zero rent in exchange for the re-locate, re-locate scenario; large rooms, but possibly with poor heating and facilities. But what it offers, is what has them thoroughly committed – a home, a castle with like minded kings and queens of the underground living in their utopia of creativity. Welcome to HomeSweetHome…

The After Party
After the screening of the film the audience are invited to stay for the after-party with DJ’s Bishi (Kashpoint), Silencio (BGWMC, Caligula, Whoopee) and Louise & Rich (Sleep All Day Drive All Night) as well as some surprise performances. The party is open to the public from 10.30pm till 2am. The
venue has heating and running water – and a damn fine bar.

Julia Keller
German born Julia Keller (26) lived and studied in London for five years until 2004 when she moved to Cologne to begin a diploma in Television and Film at the Academy of Media Arts. While in London, Julia’s work ‘Girl & the Suitcase’ won her the 2nd Prize at the Becks Future Video Competition at the ICA. She studied at Chelsea College of Art & Design and Camberwell College of Art & Design during which time she met and lived with members of the !WowoW! collective. Since being in Cologne, Julia has worked on Scripts and Production for a number of Discovery Broadcast Co-productions with the television company Gruppe 5 Production