Kasabian

Woebot

All their tracks sound kinda similar don't they? But that sorta eldritch "uh uh uh uhh" vocal thing they do is admirably scary.

Also I suspect they are named after one of Charles Manson's disciples Linda Kasabian (can anyone confirm or deny this?) which is sorta kool (with a k) and pretty pleasantly obscure. Their new rekord also has a groovy cover...

swears

preppy-kei
Terrible. Their songs sound like the worst parts of the the last 15 years of indie-dance compressed into a Protools file named "liamnoel90675". I can't believe there's still bands doing all this dopey Ian Brown style gape-mouthed swaggering around. Hard Fi are just as guilty.

mms

sometimes
there are posters are all over fins park with stuff like 'kasabian saved dance music' NME. on them, don't think i've ever heard their music but i there is about 10% of me that gets a bit riled cos they look like such swaggering fkrs and i get a bit fighty.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I heard 4 tracks of the album and was like DELETE!

what's up with the indie-rubbish fascination matt? arsetic monkeys... now this

swears

preppy-kei
They just remind me of some of the dickheads at my school that listened to Oasis and read FHM.

budub

la di da
i admit that i listened to kasabian before all of this pop hubbub. and i liked them

i dont keep up with popular media except to catch the occasional television or radio commercial. maybe even read an Entertainment Weekly here and there

earlier in the year they were still somewhat obscure around these parts (southern US)

anyway, they had melodic [enough] beats and a tripped-out dub style, ambient alt rock feeling that allowed me to study for my comprehensive exams without being completely overwhelmed and distracted by the sound of an awe-inspiring band

so i guess what i'm trying to say is that i give them props for being midly underwhelming

budub

la di da
a band that did in fact distract me during those study hours, albeit in a good way, was Sixteen Horsepower
now that is a awesome band

Freakaholic

not just an addiction
a band that did in fact distract me during those study hours, albeit in a good way, was Sixteen Horsepower
now that is a awesome band

I saw them open for Violent Femmes in '95 and was blown away. Grabbed their first EP and their next two albums. Pretty good, but not as good as the live show.

Question: what is their religious affiliation? Lots of songs about religion, but very dark songs and they tend to not like Christians, while upholding very Christian ideals.

tryptych

waiting for a time
I heard an industry rumour that Kasabian were the object of a wager at their record company, that the a&r responsible could take a terrible band and make them famous...

budub

la di da
I saw them open for Violent Femmes in '95 and was blown away. Grabbed their first EP and their next two albums. Pretty good, but not as good as the live show.

Question: what is their religious affiliation? Lots of songs about religion, but very dark songs and they tend to not like Christians, while upholding very Christian ideals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16_Horsepower

so, church of the Nazarene i suppose. no idea really
my boyfriend knows much more about this band. he's read several interviews with Edwards, who is supposedly very extreme in his beliefs

great music though

Woebot

i saw that song 'empire' on mtv last night. finally. that's fantastic. like a pocket glitter band.

they have some good tracks

stop this populist backlash bull****

their marketing, imagery and branding approaches are very interesting aswell

mms

sometimes
stop this populist backlash bull****

their marketing, imagery and branding approaches are very interesting aswell

it's not a backlash its quite clear they are and have always been shit.

but their sleeves and adds are nice but they're the same type of person, swaggering boastful and cokey that oasis was.

Last edited:

boomnoise

♫
their new track 'empire' reminds me of the faint. except i like the faint. maybe kasabian need to stop reading fhm and pick up esquire or something.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
The interesting thing about Kasabian is how most people are listening to what they think they sound like, rather than what they actually do! A glam influenced thuggish/laddish dance-rock doesn't sound too uninviting, and they certainly craft a good riff, however their inability to (a) construct songs which flow in a convincing manner (ie- develop, expand, contract etc etc) and (b) write either memorable melody lines or notable lyrics mean that their songs always fail. They are waaaaaay preferable to Arctic Monkeys (who sound like a school band) Hard Fi (the most noxious band I have ever heard) or Razorlight (surely competing in some kind of cliche-Olympics on nandrolone). The odd thing is that people reference Oasis with Kasabian, but outside of some sneering interviews (which read more as parodies of noel/liam rants) they are nothing alike. Not a good band then, but one who neither anger nor irritate me in any way...