Dirty Canvas @ ICA feat Ruff Sqwad, Boy Better Know, Plastician & Cameo (9/9/06)

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Dirty Canvas @ ICA (monthly) rolling promo thread

We're now at the ICA, monthly and on Saturday nights...with hopefully plenty of juicy line ups line this one :)

1089525344_m.gif

DIRTY CANVAS
Saturday 9 September, 2006
7.30pm – 2am

Dirty Canvas and Straight Outta Bethnal present:
Ruff Sqwad, DJ Plastician and Boy Better Know
+ DJs Cameo (1xtra), Magic (Soul 2 Streets), Hattie (RWD) and
Carmen Selektra (Touch)

On Saturday 9 September, 2006 the ICA launches a new monthly club night, Dirty Canvas, which will showcase live performances from talented underground artists emerging from the grime and dubstep scenes. Following a successful year at the Whitechapel Art Gallery, Dirty Canvas is taking up residence at the ICA, where it will continue to present new acts and raise the roof...

The opening night, co-curated with Straight Outta Bethnal will feature one of the grime scene’s best kept secrets Ruff Sqwad, who (like Dizzee Rascal and Wiley) hail from East London’s grime epicentre – Bow E3. Although still only teenagers, Ruff Sqwad have been together for over four years and in that time have put together an impressive body of work, in particular the brilliant ‘Guns and Roses II’ mixtape, which will be available at the night.

Ruff Sqwad will be joined by dubstep pioneer Plastician, who will present the scene’s biggest tunes, including many of his own productions.

Also taking the stage will be members of grime’s biggest supergroup Boy Better Know, featuring JME, Skepta, Wiley and DJ Maximum.

The second ICA Dirty Canvas will take place on Saturday 14 October. Lined-up are the Newham Generals, The Movement and Logan Sama.

Last edited:

Jezmi

Olli Oliver Steichelsmein
I'm there, coming over from Holland (special birthday treat for myself).
Wiley best show up....
What happened to the Movement, was really looking forward to seeing Ghetto and Scorcher.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
They've been moved to the 14th October show...

apparently Fuda Guy and Scorcher are not the best of friends

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Wiley and Skepta HAVE SAID they will be performing as part of Boy Better Know on the night

Jezmi

So with all this warring going on (with ofcourse Wiley at centrestage), whats the chance of other mc's showing up?

boomnoise

♫
really good night. was more of a party vibe than at the whitechapel - obviously being a saturday.

renegade warmed nicely but didn't seem to be doing anything new since the last time i saw them. boy better know killed it minus wiley, ruffsquad were on form but arrived late, cutting their stagetime short.

the energy in the first few rows was fantastic.

big up dave bun-u and magic.

Last edited:

stelfox

Beast of Burden
Gutted to have missed this, but had a wedding to go to - and'i'm gonna miss next month's too as I'll be out of the country. Massively looking forward to November now and very glad to hear that it's going down so well.

Last edited:

bun-u

Trumpet Police
cheers boomnoise, I really enjoyed it despite having to do alot of running around.

Couple of reviews already, chantelle (who helped us out enormously) and rapnews.co.uk (obviously quite taken with the ICA with all the description of its furnishings)

DSCN1410.jpg

bun-u

Trumpet Police
And another one at RWD

Jezmi was again a unexpected star on the night, I swear Ruff Sqwad should employ him as their 'bez'

S

simon silverdollar

wish i could have gone to this- i was stuck on a plane... gah!

Jezmi

And another one at RWD

Jezmi was again a unexpected star on the night, I swear Ruff Sqwad should employ him as their 'bez'

Please don´t say that.....i feel embarrassed, plus wtf is a bez? More importantly does this mean i get in free next time? ;)

But it was a great night, especially plasticians old skool set and BBK (and obviously Ruff Sqwad). Also a great open vibe, people communicating with each other.

C

captain easychord

reached as well, was definitely a lot more vibing than i had expected. people going off properly. in terms of the music, one of the better sets i've heard in a while from skepta, jme and jammer; passing the mic around quickly, nice fast cutting, few undeserved reloads, live grime done right. maybe you guys can turn the lights down a little next time though?

Diggedy Derek

Stray Dog
That was absolutely brilliant. A great vibe, everyone dancing etc.

What was Jezmi up to then? I was regalling my mate with the tale of how he was at the previous Ruff Sqwad show, in the front row in a suit, doing gun fingers and rapping along. Ah man, makes me smile just to think about it.

It was quite cool Dirty Dangerous of Ruff Sqwad doing the whole of Roachee's All Day Long lyric over the Forward Rhythm. Nice tribute.

bun-u

Trumpet Police
Sat 14th October line-up

DIRTY CANVAS
monthly club / live music event
Saturday 14 October, 2006
9.00pm – 2am

Dirty Canvas presents:
The Movement (Scorcher, Ghetto, Wretch 32)
L Man
Logan Sama (Kiss FM)
Kode 9 (Hyperdub)
Magic & Cov D (Dirty Canvas)
Zezi (Super Super)

Following on from its successful sell-out launch on Saturday 9th September, Dirty Canvas, the ICA’s new monthly club night, continues on Saturday 14 October, 2006.

Dirty Canvas showcases live performances from talented underground artists emerging from the grime and dubstep scenes.

Headlining this night will be The Movement, a grime supergroup making the biggest impression on grime 2006. The Movement is a collection of already established MCs and DJs from all parts of London. The crew includes Scorcher, emanating from North London and also part of the Cold Blooded crew and his Simply the Best mixtape relesased in the summer is one of the best from 2006. Taken from the mixtape “Chance Us” has been released recently on Logan Sama’s Adamantium Music Label. Another Movement member is Wretch 32 from the Combination Camp, whose Learn from my mixtape has been another huge release this year. Ghetto is perhaps the biggest veteran in the crew having starred as part of the legendary Nasty Crew, alongside the likes of Kano, D Double and Sharkey Major. His 2000 & Life mixtape is another acclaimed grime release this year. As Wretch 32 says “we’re pushing each one individually as solo artists and as a movement as well”. A combined Movement mixtape is coming in the autumn.

The Movement will be joined by L Man from Norwood and part of the big South London crew N Double A. L Man (the 'L' standing for lyrics) started out as a DJ and then switched to MC when joining the Gritty City crew. His mixtapes 'Facts of Life' Vol 1 and 2, and the hours he puts in at OnTop FM (Sundays 4-6pm) with DJ Frampsta have showcased his lyrical versatility, storytelling and use of wit.

Also on the line-up is DJ Logan Sama, who is widely considered to be the Westwood of grime with his Monday night Kiss FM (11pm-1am) programme being the scene’s prime time media slot. Logan, who will be DJing on the night, has been working hard on the scene having graduated from pirate radio (Rinse FM) and has now set up his own label Adamantium Music, to release the scene’s biggest tunes.

The dubstep scene’s Kode 9, who regularly DJs at FWD and DMZ and runs the Hyperdub label will also be DJing. Kode 9 has recently released the acclaimed Memories of the future dubstep alongside Spaceape and also put out Burial’s excellent album on his label earlier this year.

Dirty Canvas residents DJ Magic and Cov D will be spinning a selection of hype grime tunes while scene aficionado Zezi will DJ an eclectic urban mix from now and back in the day.

Other special guest mcs will be announced closer to the event date.

The third Dirty Canvas will take place on Saturday 18 November. Line-up tbc.

http://www.myspace.com/dirtycanvas