J Mixer 'Sweet Love'

nomos

Administrator
Link: J Mixer 'Sweet Love' (cut from this septik mix at RWD)

I posted a query about this in the grime thread but it got air. Anyway, I think it merits its own thread. Who's heard this one? I think it's fairly new - caught it on Rinse twice this week on Tootsi and Glamma's shows. I don't know anything about J Mixer besides what it says on his MySpace - he's 17 and doesn't seem to be connected to any of the grime crews.

This track is fantastic. The beat chopping and the general illness of it reminds me a bit of Chunky Bizzle's 'Tools Too Big' EP from last year, but not so menacing. But what really stands out is the slow motion vocal - dark and sweet at the same time. It almost has a chopped and screwed feel to it, but via 2step. And it really deftly straddles that rough v. 'feminine-pressure' divide that we're always talking about without making a caricature of either.

I'm interested in people's thoughts.

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I can't listen at work, does it sample the Anita Baker song of the same name?
Please say yes.

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
You uploaded a clip of 2 tunes in the mix.

I have no idea what the first one is. I would assume that is J Mixer "Sweet Love"

And then a third of the way into the clip, the DJ brings in "Nobody Knows" by Rossi B & luca.

nomos

Administrator
yeah i know. that's what it says in the playlist i linked. and shangooli is ending right at the start of the clip.

J Mixer

Wild Horses
Glad u feeling the tune nomos, and I sampled 'Sweet Love' by 112

I was thinking of including it on my upcoming first e.p.

check myspace for updates

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Fucking wicked little tune.

Crying out for some nicely nuanced MCing over the top.

There's another good tune on his myspace... I'm Ready, a version of the Ready For Love sample.

I think it's safe to say that most 17 year old "bedroom" producers don't do stuff this good.

Last edited:

Mr H

yeah sounds nice, as does one of the tracks on myspace

i would maybe be a bit more discreet about naming tracks you have sampled tho!

septik

Big up J Mixer, sick producer, constantly improving.

Sorry you didn't get a longer listen of 'Sweet Love' on its own in that mix.

My favourite J Mixer productions are 'Wrong side of life' (First Track in J Mixer Showcase) and an untitled song similar in style to 'I'm ready' (Here's a clip of it in the mix)

Next favourite would have to be Jordan Riddem. simply for the fact that it sounds sick in any mix with virtually any tune.