No more guitars.

swears

preppy-kei
Generally I'm quite an easy-going fella, but if I was in charge I would burn every guitar in the UK tomorrow. In a years time, the music scene would be fantastic. Imagine removing all the rock/metal/indie/punk tropes from British musical culture, and imagine the ways in which musicians would have to express themselves without the big daddy of rock 'n' roll to hold their hand.

*Cue posts about how band-X who use guitars, are actually weally wather good, and a long discussion about forgotten indie acts '79-'95*

marke

Tumbling Dice
ahhh : memory throwback to nme cover where LFO were burning/smashing a guitar flood back - or is that a mad cider induced false memory

swears

preppy-kei
haha...you'd just be setting it up for the Great Guitar Revival of 2010.

Yeah, five minutes later people would start whinging "Let's get back to real rock'n'roll maaan." or "We need another Clash/Beatles/Menswe@r".:slanted:

henry s

Street Fighting Man
sounds like the conceit behind Rush's 2112 opus...(future society, music is banned, spelunker discovers guitar, sweet music prevails...or does it?)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Generally I'm quite an easy-going fella, but if I was in charge I would burn every guitar in the UK tomorrow. In a years time, the music scene would be fantastic. Imagine removing all the rock/metal/indie/punk tropes from British musical culture, and imagine the ways in which musicians would have to express themselves without the big daddy of rock 'n' roll to hold their hand.

*Cue posts about how band-X who use guitars, are actually weally wather good, and a long discussion about forgotten indie acts '79-'95*

I think people might just go 'Oh God, are Human League fans still ALIVE?'

swears

preppy-kei
I think people might just go 'Oh God, are Human League fans still ALIVE?'

It's pretty sad how any attempt to even think about musical progress is pissed on with an argument like "what is this, the 80's? maaan.".

I'm sorry, but guitars have to go. Just try and imagine that scenario and what it would entail.

nomos

Administrator
I'm sorry, but guitars have to go. Just try and imagine that scenario and what it would entail.
:slanted: Try living in North America. Our charts are allergic to anything without a guitar unless it's hip hop. At least the rap-metal thing didn't last very long.

swears

preppy-kei
:slanted: Try living in North America. Our charts are allergic to anything without a guitar unless it's hip hop. At least the rap-metal thing didn't last very long.

That's weird. In Britain, indie is like hair metal now, it's fucking huge.
I thought all The Strokes/White Stripes were pretty successful in the states. In terms of critical kudos, indie is a big deal though right? Like in all those crappy magazines like Rolling Stone and Spin. "Rock is Back!" and all that.

nomos

Administrator
;) I think you mis-read me. That's all we have here apart from hip hop. I can't remember the last time a 'dance' or 'electronica' track was popular.

mistersloane

It's pretty sad how any attempt to even think about musical progress is pissed on with an argument like "what is this, the 80's? maaan.".

Don't get me wrong swears, I'm not knocking the idea, in fact I stand behind it, totally, but then I'm an old Human League fan...

Yeah, but in a sense you're saying that guitars = "what is this the fifties, sixties, or seventies?" at the same time.

swears

preppy-kei
Sorry, sloane and nomos. I do have a tendency to speed read and miss the point.

Yeah, but in a sense you're saying that guitars = "what is this the fifties, sixties, or seventies?" at the same time.

Nope, guitars are now which is why I'm sort of sick of them. Look, it's just so obvious, isn't it? You're young, western, probably white, probably male, and you've formed a guitar band. My main gripe is that rock is almost seen as this eternal, natural force now. Things can only change within it's boundaries. The canon can only change in relation to what new bands are into at the moment....there's no escape.

OK, but that strikes me as being sort of merely a complaint. And, of course, not sure that whatever paradigm would arise after the burning of the guitars would be any better.

mistersloane

OK, but that strikes me as being sort of merely a complaint. And, of course, not sure that whatever paradigm would arise after the burning of the guitars would be any better.

It would be fun to do though, preferably in Parliament Square...BBC reports a spate of random copy cat burnings of guitars breaking out across the country and the globe...Rockophobia hits mammoth proportions...Singapore bans all guitar imports...Fender go bust...

soundslike1981

Can we just ban the ability to sustain a note on a guitar longer than a split second? I still like them sometimes, as a percussive element. It's just the "lead" shit that's long past it's expiry.