Secret Sundaze - help needed!

borderpolice

go to http://www.secretsundaze.org/ and mail them, asking to be put on their mailing list. the next one is this sunday at "the light" (on shoreditch high street) from 1400 till 2230 with Ame. in my experience, it may be difficult to get in if you come too late. i'll probably pop in at some point: it's a nice place to spend sunday afternoon in, if one is in the right mood, and it's local.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Never again. I have never, in my life, seen so many useless, worthless cunts deserving of slow, painful death in one place in all my life. I arrived at 2, and left at 4 to find somewhere, anywhere, better.

borderpolice

Never again. I have never, in my life, seen so many useless, worthless cunts deserving of slow, painful death in one place in all my life. I arrived at 2, and left at 4 to find somewhere, anywhere, better.

hahaha! yeah, i guess it appeals to a certain demographic only and may polarise!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
OK, two retorts to that (and the first is not meant to be an ad hominem attack :) ):

1/ Dropping PHDs into conversation is irrelevant - further education does not bestow intelligence per se upon the recipient.

Ever since I went to Oxford (an experience about which I feel extreme ambivalence), I have realised that intellectual capability and emotional/social intelligence (the only type that I hold in any real regard) are quite separate. I knew a considerable number of extremely intellectually-able people (some of whom I would rank at close to genius level), but many of them had next to no real insights to share about life. Not in a geeky sense (most of them were very far from being geeks), but more in the sense that they were utterly devoid of emotional intelligence.

I know lots of people with PHDs. They don't earn my respect through intellectual achievement, but rather through who they are. It never fails to amaze me how many people are blinded by a few letters.

2/Your friends may well have been among the (extreme) minority of people who weren't look-at-me try-hard cunts. If so, then none of my criticisms extend to them - they merely have a higher tolerance of cunts than I do.

Lichen

I saw some photos of a Secret Sundaze bash and it looked like a Nathan Barley set...loads of blokes in flat-caps, sweatbands and Aviators

borderpolice

further education does not bestow intelligence per se upon the recipient.

you are right! but i didnt claim that further education bestows intelligence. i brought up that hint about secret's adiences' educational level more to counter your claim to vacuity: you don't work for years on some remote and difficult topic, if you are vacuous in the sense i think you mean it.

2/Your friends may well have been among the (extreme) minority of people who weren't look-at-me try-hard cunts. .

hehehe, you couldn't be more wrong: my friends are very exhibitionistic and went there only to be looked at and to look (and hopefully pull). i really can't see what's wrong with this. the people who go to such places may just be playful or especially skilled at public selfpresentation for the purpose of attracting sexual attention (what's wrong with this? ), or maybe they are just too drugged to care.

It never ceases to amaze me how a chilled out and drugged up club like secret could create so much ire?

Last edited:

borderpolice

I saw some photos of a Secret Sundaze bash and it looked like a Nathan Barley set...loads of blokes in flat-caps, sweatbands and Aviators

yep, that's about right. a wild mix, polysexual, people who can't sleep (mostly because they've been taking too much echinacea), people who like to dance.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
you are right! but i didnt claim that further education bestows intelligence. i brought up that hint about secret's adiences' educational level more to counter your claim to vacuity: you don't work for years on some remote and difficult topic, if you are vacuous in the sense i think you mean it.

maybe it is your so called "real life" that is offering little to those people, except incomprehension and rejection?

you couldn't be more wrong: my friends are very exhibitionistic and went there only to be looked at and to look (and hopefully pull). i really can't see what's wrong with this. the people who go to such places may just be playful or especially skilled at public selfpresentation for the purpose of attracting sexual attention (what's wrong with this? are you jealous?), or maybe they are just too drugged to care.

It never ceases to amaze me how a chilled out and drugged up club like secret could create so much ire?

OK, your reaction to this is genuinely interesting me, since you seem to be sane.

To take the points in order:

1/ Don't agree at all. Working on remote and difficult topics is no barrier to vacuity (in the sense I mean it, of course). That was my point.

2/ I really don't think these people (given the prices in Shoreditch) are suffering from rejection. More so those people/businesses who were displaced by the process of gentrification, to make way for the supposedly 'trendy' clubs inhabited by 20-something media 'professionals' being paid ridiculous amounts for failing to add anything to the world. (I find quotation marks amusing, btw, so if I overuse them, apologies.) If they find real life 'incomprehensible', maybe they should try to avoid lobotomies in future?

3/ Right, therein lies the nub. So many clubs in London with fantastic music policies (Fabric being the prime example) are populated by people such as you describe. I go out to clubs cos I like the music, to be honest, not to be 'looked at', primarily cos I'm not a narcissistic arse.
These people are not at all skilled at self-representation - I never see idiots with mullets/non-matching trainers outside the Shoreditch area, thus bringing me to the conclusion that they are utterly unskilled at mingling with any but a small (and useless) sector of society. Which makes them socially retarded, and not skilled. I went to a pub just next to Liverpool Street Station after, and have never been so gratified to be surrounded by people who have enough self-esteem not to have to scream 'LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!' witht heir appearance like a spoiled 5 year-old child.
As for the jealousy accusation, cheap shot. And one which, sadly for you, doesn't work, since I have already had sex for an hour and a half this very morning with a lovely, real person. And not with a human mullet.

4/ Drugged-up? Yes. Chilled-out? Are you kidding? Everyone there was so on edge about whether they looked 'right', that one guy had a go at me in the toilet for 'not wearing the right things' or something (I didn't really listen to him, as he was a moron). He was wearing sunglasses indoors. I was wearing a gold/yellow Adidas hoodie, not to be 'street', but because I like Adidas style, and I like the colour. Now,w hich was us was really most comfortable in our own skin?
I found the place unfriendly and up its own arse. if you fancy a genuinely chilled-out, and mildly drugged up club in London, try Bootylicious in Vauxhall, which has the best vibe of any capital club I've been to.

Why does it engender such ire? Because most people can't stand privileged vacuity that also dares to look down upon others who do not share its, ahem, 'values'.

Sorry, but it seems that I would've thought your friends were cunts too. Even with their PHDs in obscure subjects.:slanted:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
yep, that's about right. a wild mix, polysexual, people who can't sleep (mostly because they've been taking too much echinacea), people who like to dance.

Lichen was absolutely spot on, yep. It was a Barley-fest.

As for the response, it was NOT a wild mix at all - almost exactly the opposite, it was a predictable, homogenous crowd pretending to be a wild mix. And failing. Badly.

Polysexual? Lol. I'm not precisely sure what this is meant to connote. Quick Google: seems to mean 'fucking around'. Um, I guess, but no more than any other club I've ever been to, and considerably less than some of them.

I LOVE to dance, but saw very little dancing going on at all. Just posing. Dancing should be free, an expressionm of physical abandonment, not a rhythmless display of posery (OK, I admit, I just invented that).

Really dude, go to a club with a genuinely 'wild' atmosphere, and see the difference.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm loving this thread. I actually want to check this thing out to see if it's as bad as Baboon is making out or if it's a complete over-reaction. Is this a weekly thing or monthly or what? Where is it?

Imraani

Was going on 01/10

I was going to this for the first time next Sunday 01/10 with a friend who has never been dancing at any club in London.

Basically all we care about is having fun on the dance floor, not whether our hairstyles are perfect or we're wearing the right logos - in fact I detest that sort of thing.

Is it really as bad as you said, i.e. would we still be able to have fun dancing?

We really want to go dancing during the day. Are there any other less-pretentious alternatives for that on a Sat/Sun??

Oh, we normally like deep house music but are not too fussy as long as it's not too hard!!!

Heck, we may go anyway just because this thread has piqued my curiosity :D