Glitchy/"laptop" dancehall, reggaeton etc. tracks

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Came across this new net label release:

http://www.filtro.com.mx/v2/019/019.htm

Bit of the blurb there:

Región 4 creates a dialogue between Jamaican dancehall, reggaeton, and the sounds and tendencies of the label’s own artists, who usually group themselves in the realm of minimal dancefloor and IDM. This way, sonorities pertaining to the region 4 (which includes Australia, New Zealand, the pacific islands, central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean islands) flow through the same point to be transformed into a hybrid that not only gives enough to reflect on the technology/culture circuit, but also puts into a manifesto the influences, evolution, and the label’s renovated musical identity. It results paradoxical that arbitrarily generated regional codes created to control the access to digital content depending on the geographical zone work in an opposite fashion at a conceptual level to produce a new interpretation of the sounds of region 4.

I don't particularly like the results, to be honest, but thought it might be of interest. In general I reckon Filtro are exceptionally good among net labels, but the aims/interests/good points of their crackling minimal tech releases and these street musics they're playing with are pretty much irreconcilable.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i don't want to piss on their parade, but surely 'dialogue' is a two way process?

the whole world will run a mile form artists proclaiming to be 'minimal dancefloor' or 'IDM'

and the blurb's meaningless.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Heh, yeah... presumably written in Spanish then translated, but still... I should've probably quoted the bit that describes what each artist was trying to do, that's a little clearer.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I should've probably quoted the bit that describes what each artist was trying to do, that's a little clearer.

let me guess, d/l reggae accapelas from soulseek and adding them to their own backing tracks ;)

DJ PIMP

:D Ahahah... I knew this would bring a rain of hate.
This was written by Jon Mercer around 1986-1987:

Darkness covers the hearts of man,
The clouds bring the rain of hate,
The battle of life has begun,
When the rain is over all that is
seen is destruction,
I am a rainbow in the dark,
A rainbow that is created by light,
The rainbow shines brightly,
But the blackness of hate covers,
The rainbow is a promise,
A creation of god,
No one believes in the rainbow,
Before the rainbow comes rain,
I am a rainbow in the darkness,
All that is seen is darkness,
All that is felt is hate,
The rainbow fades away unnoticed.

rainbow.jpg

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Ed DMX's 'Collapse of the Waveform' series is supposed to be along these lines.

that which i've heard isn't- it was instrumentals with a ragga influence. if his computer works he might even tell you personally.

mr stelfox- nice reviews in this months wire! just need mr shapiro back full-time.

zhao

there are no accidents
All that is seen is darkness,
All that is felt is hate,
The rainbow fades away unnoticed.

:rolleyes:

I don't know why the smiley code actually says "rolleyes". it would seem that the programer who made these icons wanted to infuse a level of sarcasm and irony to what otherwise would be a sincere and simple smile. maybe this behavior is based on fear. fear of, and stemming from, all the darkness and hate.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I don't particularly like the results, to be honest, but thought it might be of interest. In general I reckon Filtro are exceptionally good among net labels, but the aims/interests/good points of their crackling minimal tech releases and these street musics they're playing with are pretty much irreconcilable.
Hmmm, to be honest they mostly seem to be doing minimal / glitch / dub stuff with a slightly expanded soundworld (using a dancehall stab where they'd usually use a dubby piano chord, for instance) and it's notbad. They only occasionally start trying to actually get closer to the feel of stuff that they're using as a source, and they lose it more the more they do.

matt b said:
the whole world will run a mile form artists proclaiming to be 'minimal dancefloor' or 'IDM'
I know IDM's been pronounced dead, but I thought minimal dancefloor / minimal techno was meant to be flavour of the month?

stelfox

Beast of Burden
that which i've heard isn't- it was instrumentals with a ragga influence. if his computer works he might even tell you personally.

mr stelfox- nice reviews in this months wire! just need mr shapiro back full-time.

cheers matt. more to come next month - trae, pimp c and outkast!

DavidD

can't be stopped
Came across this new net label release:
Región 4 creates a dialogue between Jamaican dancehall, reggaeton, and the sounds and tendencies of the label’s own artists, who usually group themselves in the realm of minimal dancefloor and IDM. This way, sonorities pertaining to the region 4 (which includes Australia, New Zealand, the pacific islands, central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean islands) flow through the same point to be transformed into a hybrid that not only gives enough to reflect on the technology/culture circuit, but also puts into a manifesto the influences, evolution, and the label’s renovated musical identity. It results paradoxical that arbitrarily generated regional codes created to control the access to digital content depending on the geographical zone work in an opposite fashion at a conceptual level to produce a new interpretation of the sounds of region 4.

Haha if this is a joke its pretty funny