new BECK single aint 'arf bad

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I never really had much time for BECK, always found him horribly over-rated. But I just heard his new single BROKEN CELLPHONE or something, and he's got some seriously innaresting post-punk grooves going down. At least better than that other Zionist Oppressor MATISYAHOO.

blunt

shot by both sides
A friend of mine went to see him play at Shepherd's Bush Empire in London on Saturday - it seems it was something truly special: a stage-within-the-stage, with marionettes precisely mimicking the movements of all the performers, with live footage of both being seamlessly cut together and projected on the obligatory big screen behind them (or a small plasma screen, in the case of the marionettes).

It's all a bit post-Gorillaz, eh. But I love how (comparitively) low-fi it sounds. Was anyone there in person to represent Dissensus? If so, please tell us more...

swears

preppy-kei
The only album I really loved of his was Midnite Vultures. Sea Change is so bland it hurts (great sleeve art though). Guero and what I've heard of the new one sound like a return to that sloppy 90s post- 3 Feet High/Paul's Boutique eclecticism which he only really did well on Odelay.

Rachel Verinder

The early no-budget stuff like Stereopathetic Soul Manure was inventive and funny.
Then he became Mr Corporate Alternative and I went off him completely.

PeteUM

It's all grist
My music facist take on Beck is that it was all good up to (and grudgingly including) Odelay with Mellow Gold being some kind of masterpiece, and i have seen him be an extremely sophisticated and entertaining performer but I have grave reservations about this Scientology business.