kode 9 and spaceape album

mms

sometimes
was kindly given a copy of this and it's very good.

Poppyish in places with lots of contrasting moods and styles that will annoy the so called dustep purists. The possible problem seemed to me that an hour or so of spaceapes voice might get a bit tyring, but it doesn't, as he's really come on as mc, with lots of different styles, plus kode messes about with fx on his voice too.

it sounds like musical science fiction if you get me, futuristic, language and music wise, open ended and technological which i guess is partly what they were aiming for and seem to have achieved. It also closes gaps between lots of loose threads in grime and dubstep but tidies and minimises them into songlike form like a proper 'pop' album.

Funny how the first two real dubstep lps are sort of slightly off dubstep, they both really work to as listening albums, not sure if dancefloor dubstep in its current form could work well as an lp. The first two hyperdub offerings really do work, kode's album is quite a suprise, listened to it about 5 times now and i'm looking forward to listening to it again when i have a bit of oliday this week.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Im glad that this sounds good (I thought the cover art was terrible, especially after the finely tuned music/imagery match of Burial's LP but nevermind eh!)

mms

sometimes
Im glad that this sounds good (I thought the cover art was terrible, especially after the finely tuned music/imagery match of Burial's LP but nevermind eh!)

i like the cover, abstracted london modernist space innit.:cool:

adruu

This Is It
Very killer news...can't wait to get my hands on it. I'd say my anticipation for it is as high as the Burial album.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Funny how the first two real dubstep lps are sort of slightly off dubstep, they both really work to as listening albums, not sure if dancefloor dubstep in its current form could work well as an lp..
I'd have thought it was one of not many dancefloor genres that could, meself. There's enough breadth in the definition (from sparse drums and bass to all sorts of midrangieness, from atmospheric to stompy, from half-step to two-step) that an adequately versatile producer (messrs "we're not doing an album" DMZ spring to mind) could probably pull it off...

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
SpaceApe is one of the best MC's I've heard and that something I've never said before because I nearly always hate them - looking forward to hearing the album.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Sometimes though although 'artist' albums might be a tall order scenes are really good at producing the occasional 'definitive statement' kind of album - think Wormhole (Ed Rush and Optical) and Torque (N-U-Turn). Wormhole especially is looked at very fondly now and if you listen back to it - although its not fashionable to say so because to a lot of people jungle had already lost its way by then - the music stands the test of time very well and is outstanding on its own terms.

A DMZ album could do that even if it were all dancefloor tracks.

Anyway not to derail the thread, I am looking forward to this album very much, Kode 9's sets are a constant inspiration.

Isn't it? The press release says it is, and there's a track on it called "sine" - I assume that's it...

yes, 'sine' is 'sign of the dub'.
it's a really good album, I reckon. Right now I'm particularly enjoying 'Curious' cos its got some strange chord progressions.

The possible problem seemed to me that an hour or so of spaceapes voice might get a bit tyring, but it doesn't, as he's really come on as mc, with lots of different styles, plus kode messes about with fx on his voice too.

Agreed. he tries out some different approaches throughout. There's one track (can't remember what its called right now) where he's sorta whispering in a cloud of reverb over edgy bass-riff. It reminded me of nothing less than Suicide circa 'The first rehearsal tapes'. wow...

when is this coming out?

press release just sez October...

Last edited:
Why not just link to the hyperdub site ?
webmemory.gif

http://www.hyperdub.net/