Paris Hilton targeted in CD prank

boomnoise

♫
The biggest two fingers here are stuck up back at banksy by the fact that HMV didn't even care!

'particular brand of artistic engagement' indeed.

Come on, this would have been vaugely interesting about 8 years ago, perhaps, but not now.

Is the irony that all the song titles on his cd are applicable to him also?

Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?

swears

preppy-kei
This isn't particularly funny or well done. And, yes, a very, very easy target.:slanted:

Guybrush

Dittohead
Banksy is notorious for his secretive and subversive stunts such as sneaking doctored versions of classic paintings into major art galleries.
Exactly what is subversive about that? What a lame prank...

bruno

est malade
of course it's not subversive, it's a whimsical prank! hardly the sort of thing you expect to rip the fabric of reality. it must have made the buyers smile at the very least. oh, that's not good enough. burning a warehouse full of paris hilton cds - now that would be fun, wouldn't it? :slanted:

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
Why didnt he just keep quiet about it?

Now that they know, HMV & Virgin will just hoover up the doctored CDs and sell them at a whacking profit to art collectors, & Paris will get more publicity for her dogshit record.

More importantly no copies will find their way into the hands of people who genuinely think they've bought a Paris Hilton record, so it's failed utterly as a situationalist prank.

Banksy can kiss my arse.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
You guys are taking this awfully seriously..

"Is the irony that all the song titles on his cd are applicable to him also?

Why am I Famous?, What Have I Done? and What Am I For?"

Only in the sense that you could ask those last two of anyone in the world, ever. Banksy's done loads of stuff that justifies his fame, even if he did just get lucky, like most successful people. As much as most artists in the last few decades anyway.

D84

I dunno HMV taking the CDs and making a killing is pretty sad...

So in all really a big publicity boost to Banksy, HMV, Paris Hilton (easy target no. 1), and the person who did the music whose initials are pretty easy to work out... :slanted:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"of course it's not subversive, it's a whimsical prank! hardly the sort of thing you expect to rip the fabric of reality. it must have made the buyers smile at the very least"
Exactly.
"Paris Hilton (easy target no. 1)"
"a very, very easy target."
"He knows how to pick a tough target"
Who should he have picked then? I don't really know what criteria you should have for doing something like this. At a guess you need someone who is famous, has a new album out and who you don't like much and I guess that Ms Hilton fitted that pretty well. Who could he have targeted to make it more subversive? Why does he need to make it subversive?
You lot seem like a load of humourless killjoys.

"More importantly no copies will find their way into the hands of people who genuinely think they've bought a Paris Hilton record, so it's failed utterly as a situationalist prank"
I think you're right that it would have been better if he had waited before making it public but that's not really the most important thing.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
You lot seem like a load of humourless killjoys.

I don't think so. There's not much 'joy' in all this is there? If it's a joke, it's not very funny.

He just strikes me as being a bit self-important. I bet if I tried to pass something I'd done off as a 'Banksy' on ebay his lawyers would be all over me.

Rambler

Awanturnik
It's not so much the prank that annoys me, but the fact that because it's Banksy perpetrating what is basically a bit of schoolboy high jinks (with at least tacit major corporate approval) it gets held up as a piece of 'guerilla art', warrants a BBC news story, comment from HMV and Virgin and is now selling at 300+ pounds on eBay. Very, very quickly after he did it, then, it became less a dumb gag and something we're actually supposed to pay attention to. And it nowhere near justifies that attention.

boomnoise

♫
when i was 14 i used to swap cds around the sections in hmv which was obviously utterly hilarious.

this is just a very well orchestrated pr story for all the parties involved.

B0006H58HW.02._SS500_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1101402392_.jpg

labrat

hot on the heels of love
I bet if I tried to pass something I'd done off as a 'Banksy' on ebay his lawyers would be all over me.
very true.....(but i'd LOVE to see someone do it)
props to all the haters:Banksy is pathetic - a shameless self publicist who coats his Dazed and Confused friendly art with gloss of subversion.... you know the next interview he does he'll be droppin' Détournement as much as possible.
thanks everyone for helping me retain faith in humanity!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I don't think so. There's not much 'joy' in all this is there? If it's a joke, it's not very funny."
It made me smile.
"He just strikes me as being a bit self-important"
I'm sure he is (and a bit of a wanker to boot no doubt). I hated it when he was saying that the only vital form of art left was graffiti - just a coincidence that that's the media he works with I'm sure - but I find the recent things quite funny.
Back to what I was saying before though, what target should he have chosen? Presumably he was having a light-hearted dig at the present all-pervasive celebrity culture which I'm sure most people think is a bad (or at least annoying) thing. Paris Hilton embodies that and doing it to her stuff means that it will be big news, which I'm sure he wanted. What would be the point of doing it if no-one knew about it?
Yes, there are more important things to get annoyed about but if that was your criteria for everything that you did then you would never do anything (apart from sit around and be snide about how the things that everyone else was doing aren't subversive enough obviously).

"dm (as gnarls barkley) and hilton both record for warners.
hmmm..."
"this is just a very well orchestrated pr story for all the parties involved."
A bit of healthy cynicism is a good thing but I just don't believe this.

Rambler

Awanturnik
I dunno who he should have chosen, but setting something up to point out that Paris Hilton, and/or the larger celebrity culture is a bit shit seems lame, that's all. It would have been more interesting, and subversive/edgier/'guerilla' if he'd done this with someone people actually have a toss about - Johnny Cash, say, to pick name at random. There'd have been a damn sight less implicit back-slapping from HMV spokesmen and tittering from the media establishment then. This just seems to lack courage, or a purpose.

Mind you, imagining someone dumb enough to buy a CD with la Hilton naked and with a dog's head on the cover thinking it was the genuine article does make me grin, so I'm not completely humourless :)