Death in June recommendations?

martin

----
I've had the 'Nada' album for years, and only recently checked out another one, their 'Guilty Have No Pride' debut, which is pretty ace (especially when vapid wankers like the Editors are seriously considered heirs to Joy Division,etc).

Was just wondering if anyone would recommend any of their other albums. I've heard they went all folk from the late 80s onwards, but would be interested in hearing a bit more. Especially any releases featuring the military / heavy drumming style. Ta...

martin

----
Wha - you mean the whole thing's a scam and listening to DIJ won't lead to an monoracial Europe? Wah, this is so not fair!

Actually, I've been put off DIJ for years because of said articles (among others), but was surprised how much I enjoyed the debut musically, which I bought because I saw it going cheap. The Heaven Street single's thrown in as well and is one of the high points.

john eden

male pale and stale
I might still have some other stuff somewhere I can lend you, but I think you've probably got all the non-folk stuff you will like. Some of the later albums have more "soundscape" type things on them which are OK.

martin

----
Oh incidentally, I seem to have somehow lost that 'Best of 2005' CD-R mix you made - could you please send me another one (the one with the women in Trojan T-shirts on the front)? Ta ;)

john eden

male pale and stale
Is this another of those threads where we just talk to each other, do you think?

When is the next pr0n symposium entry thing over at BTI?

Immryr

I would highly recommend the album Brown Book.

and for their totally folky stuff, But, What Ends When The Symbol Shatters? and Rose Clouds Of Holocaust are amazing.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
"Fall Apart" is a great song, it's on the 'Something Is coming" album and probably on others as well, lovely neo-folky apocolyptico nonsense.

martin

----
Thanks for all these!

Regarding apocalyptic nonsense, tbh I haven't heard any seriously dodgy lyrics so far, they all seem a bit innocuous. That line 'Nothing changes, only gets worse, nothing changes, waiting for a hearse' is quite amusing.

john eden

male pale and stale
Thanks for all these!

Regarding apocalyptic nonsense, tbh I haven't heard any seriously dodgy lyrics so far, they all seem a bit innocuous. That line 'Nothing changes, only gets worse, nothing changes, waiting for a hearse' is quite amusing.

I believe that was penned by the same ex-member who once also wrote "don't fight back, you won't get thanked, you'll just get run over by a tank"

Brown Book features Chaos International editor Ian Read singing the Horst Wessel. Which Doug P recked was "a trap" for people. Ho fucking ho.

Mainly the lyrics after Nada are poetic/vacuous imagery and the music is strummy acoustic guitars. There are undoubtedly worse things in the world than this stuff but I do wonder why so many people take it so seriously.

martin

----
Are their fans quite full-on then? I never really bothered checking out their gigs the last few times they played London. Funnily enough, the 'Guilty...' reissue comes with a DVD of them live in Brixton in '82, in a near-deserted Fridge

john eden

male pale and stale
I will have to lend you a book* I also have in which Doug P's every utterance is decoded to the nth degree as if he was perhaps the new Chaucer or something.

There's a lot of hero worship and uncritical conformity in that scene which is quite annoying. Which is why I took the piss out of it so much at the end of my interest in it.

*Misery and Purity: A History and Personal Interpretation of Death In June by Robert Forbes. It's fucking funny - there is a photo on the front in which Doug P manages to look like Larry Grayson.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
Are their fans quite full-on then? I never really bothered checking out their gigs the last few times they played London.

I have seen DIJ with NON in Milan (both played so awful that they deserved to be executed in the name of social Darwinism) and you won't believe the mix of fascist and pouser all in black and in religious admiration. I remember i wore a red shirt. There were a few gorgeous goth girl anyway...

... for the casual listener and the curious, all you need from DIJ is the double cd compilation "DISCriminate" which is really well compiled and have great songs taken from really so so albums (also it should be at the price of a single disc). Helige! :eek:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Good call Francesco, thanks.
I have high hopes that one day a Rasta tribute band called Dub In June will form and tour massive stadiums in the metaverse with Jah Division, and everything will be right with the world.

bruno

est malade
I will have to lend you a book* I also have in which Doug P's every utterance is decoded to the nth degree as if he was perhaps the new Chaucer or something.

There's a lot of hero worship and uncritical conformity in that scene which is quite annoying. Which is why I took the piss out of it so much at the end of my interest in it.

*Misery and Purity: A History and Personal Interpretation of Death In June by Robert Forbes. It's fucking funny - there is a photo on the front in which Doug P manages to look like Larry Grayson.
spot on about the scene and this book (though you have to admire the dedication/obsession for its subject).

my long lost friends were heavily into death in june. a lot of people liked them here, i think because the pinochet regime appealed a lot to that mythical, austere, ultraconservative and orderly chile, this obsession with purity, while at the same time dispensing with order to kill and disappear people, the sinister underbelly of it all. so for people raised in that context death in june was the ideal soundtrack, i suppose. and it pissed off your leftist parents.

i liked the music in parts but the dull, fascist overtones turned me off. and douglas pierce is a horrible singer.

martin - i would recommend cathedral of tears and the album they did with joyaux de la princesse, östenbraun, those two are quite nice. i think they are out of print, though.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
My recommendation for Death in June is, should you buy their records, try not to listen to them, they're a load of fucking shit.

Try PTV's Dreams Less Sweet instead.

john eden

male pale and stale
bandf.jpg