Red Sparowes/Pelican/Isis/Khanate

Ned

Ruby Tuesday
I think I might like this kind of thing, can anyone recommend the single most crucial album from this scene for me to buy first?

Octopus?

The new Red Sparowes "EveryRedHeartShinesTowardTheRedSun" is majestic. Quality instrumental prog with crazy textures and thick bass.

Otherwise...For Isis, "Oceanic" is my personal favourite. Khanate is a remarkably consistent band, and out of all their releases "Things Viral" is the one I spin the most. Never could quite get into Pelican...

I suppose the grandaddy of all of this is Neurosis' "Times Of Grace".

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yeah, Oceanic and Neurosis. Sit around and smoke bad weed and light black candles and eat pizza and oven chips and think bad things about, y'know, stuff. They're great.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Pelican I find too boring, instrumental without the necessary grandiosity, heaviosity (esp latterly) or chops. Khanate are really very nasty, very good, almost improv-metal, a thoroughly eviscerating horrorshow that sounds like its being made up as it goes along. I think they are in a distinctly less approachable milieu than the likes of Isis, who despite being extremely heavy indeed are pretty melodic (providing you can tolerate guttural vocals). Has anyone heard the new Isis album by the way?

Immryr

listen to diSEMBOWELMENT. they recently had all their material repressed on relapse.

khanates first album is totally brilliant too.

-edit- co sign times of grace.

greeneyes

Bit Mangler
It does depend what you like, but my picks would be:

Neurosis - Through Silver And Blood
Isis - Oceanic

If you like the more brutal/textured side of things, investigate Godflesh.

Jesu's self titled may be worth a listen too. Great album.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
saw isis over the summer- v.dull, and the vocals grate (which if taken out = pelican).

i'd recommend thrones, who is unbelievable live.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Not sure how they fit into this thread (or not) but apparently Boris and Sunn0)) are doing a collaborative album, featuring Joe Preston of Thrones and Dylan Carlson of Earth fame...

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Not sure how they fit into this thread (or not) but apparently Boris and Sunn0)) are doing a collaborative album, featuring Joe Preston of Thrones and Dylan Carlson of Earth fame...

i came across an mp3 from this recently, i think it was on the southern lord website, it sounded pretty different to what i was expecting

daren

Khanate's Thing Viral is the way to go out of these bands, although I've never heard anything by Red Sparrows. Isis and Pelican are OK in my book. The riff repetition gets too boring, and doesn't too to well live, unless you're drunk and want to bob your head to them with a million other metalheads. I'm also not a fan of Pelican's latest stuff, post-rock isn't my thing.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I used to lap up post rock as a young-un, but the formulaic nature of it means that its all the same. The problem with the post-metal stuff that hews towards a kind of metal take on Godspeed/Mogwai/Slint esque post-rock is that it never, ever gets heavy enough for my liking, when it ought to be mind crushingly dense, like screaming buildings imploding or something...

Big Satan- what was it like then? Did it tend towards the groovey-ish stoner/drone of Boris or avant-black/doom metal of Sunn0))?

big satan

HA-DO-KEN!
Big Satan- what was it like then? Did it tend towards the groovey-ish stoner/drone of Boris or avant-black/doom metal of Sunn0))?

neither, that's what was surprising, it was quite light and unlike anything i've heard from either band, and it sounded like wata was singing. i just looked at the southern lord site and they don't have it up there so i might have seen it on stephen o'malley's ideolgic page.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
there is a "oceanic remix" isis album that have a very great remix by Justin Broadrick (jesu/godflesh). rest of the 2cd is not great through...

kanathe is great

mms

sometimes
sunn are doing all moog sets at the moment, sacrificed the guitars to the god of diminishing returns.
did anyone like boris' pink album, i wasn't feeling it at all?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I want to hear a Sunn0)))/Dubstep meeting of minds in Stygian sonic oblivion, floor mounted Sunn amps and dub sub woofers conspiring to make an audience levitate on pure, writhing sound mass...